Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pulley for F-Body Pump Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Pulley for F-Body Pump Options

I bought an F-Body pump Type II (0.75" Dia Shaft) with a broken pulley. I was looking for a replacement ideally metal with spokes or windows to access the mounting bolts. I plan on using Holley's relocation brackets so I don't think the OD is as big a deal looks like they offer a pulley for a corvette pump (0.66" ID and 6.70" OD) and it looks like that clears the steering box.

I searched the forum and it seems a lot of guys are using the Dorman 300-201 which is plastic and needs to be pushed really deep on the shaft which makes it difficult to remove. Might as well get the stock F-body pulley

Another one mentioned is a Ford pulley E7UA-3D673-FB which is metal but a little harder to find at least on-line, but i'm sure the local pick-n-pulls should be plenty. The other down side is there are no windows to access the mounts bolts which is not a deal breaker.

On my own I found the following Dorman pulleys:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-52027-300-137.aspx

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-21761-300-130.aspx

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-65024-300-202.aspx

Haven't seen any mention of these, has anyone tried them? I think the 300-202 is a steel version of the 300-201 so I'm not to confident on that one. Also to use the holley bracket I need the corvette style resivor which is about $90-100 any other options on this? Thanks!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What car is this going in?
I'm looking at doing a Vette brkt/alt/ps pump in a 86 G body. I'm too close to the ps oil port on the gear box.
Considering a banjo fitting, but would use a pulley, too.
I see several aft mkt pulleys, but they are big $$.
Can't you use an alum res for the tank? I'd think they would be avail for less than the $100 for the Vette piece.
Some options: Lots of new and used tanks on the bag.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...+6AN+10AN+LINE

Last edited by Old Geezer; 09-15-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
What car is this going in?
I'm looking at doing a Vette brkt/alt/ps pump in a 86 G body. I'm too close to the ps oil port on the gear box.
Considering a banjo fitting, but would use a pulley, too.
I see several aft mkt pulleys, but they are big $$.
Can't you use an alum res for the tank? I'd think they would be avail for less than the $100 for the Vette piece.
Some options: Lots of new and used tanks on the bag.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...+6AN+10AN+LINE
Oops sorry its going in a 1970 Chevelle, the engine came out of an F-body and I picked up a F-body power steering pump and alternator so I was going to stick with the f-body stuff if I could. I'm working on a budget and like to keep OEM parts as much as possible so I was trying to avoid expesnsive billet stuff.

I'll keep looking for a deal on Al reservoir tank thanks!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

is it a 5/8 shaft for the pump.. we use a 5/8 shaft pulley in our serpentine kits.. it is 6061 aluminum.. i could prob sell you one of those out side the kit.. www.drivejunky.com
Old 09-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Teching In

I think I'm going to try the Dorman 300-137 looks like it fits the 5.3L on trailblazer.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zach@DriveJunky
is it a 5/8 shaft for the pump.. we use a 5/8 shaft pulley in our serpentine kits.. it is 6061 aluminum.. i could prob sell you one of those out side the kit.. www.drivejunky.com
No its a 3/4 shaft. I think your stuff looks great I like how compact it is and the black look is always nice.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

thank you my friend.. we have machined 3/4 in the past . .but go with the dorman if it fits.. really a matter of function.. post pics of the build... or any pictures..haha
Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Teching In

I thought the holley brackets required a corvette pump to fit . even if its f body spacing. all 3 types use corvette stuff.
if you can put a f body please post how you did it. I would love to try it too since I already have a f body pump
cheers bpatrol
Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bpatrol
I thought the holley brackets required a corvette pump to fit . even if its f body spacing. all 3 types use corvette stuff.
if you can put a f body please post how you did it. I would love to try it too since I already have a f body pump
cheers bpatrol
Honestly I missed that in the first go around bpatrol. They are a little misleading looks like you need mostly corvette parts to make it work, which is something you wouldn't have if you had an F-Body engine to begin with.

From Holley's Fitment Guide:
The Holley driver’s side bracket uses the standard (1997 and up) Corvette power steering pump (Saginaw TC type). Other pumps of the same housing and type may work, but the bracket is optimized for the Corvette pump.

HELPFUL HINTS: Non-Corvette pumps will not have the correctly positioned reservoir hose tube. Also note that remanufactured pumps may have the formed tube clocked improperly. Early Corvette pumps are steel where later years were aluminum.

Looking at the pictures it seems all one has to do is install the tube and they look identical then get a remote reservoir and be in business. More work than just getting a corvette pump but I already had to pump.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question ??

Originally Posted by Zach@DriveJunky
NICE STUFF!
When you say 5/8 shaft, are you referring to the Vette pump? I measured it at .66".
What is the diameter of the pulley??

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pulley for F-Body Pump Options