Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Spohn Tubular K-member

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Opinions on Spohn Tubular K-member

I'm looking to get opinions on the LS Spohn k-member for a 3rd gen. I have heard stories that they don't fit right and the motor sits crooked. I would like to run the same suspension manufacturer and I have seen some local 3rd gens work with Spohn stuff. Also they have a complete package with a K, A-arms and coil over kit for around $1,300. My other option is a BMR K and A-arms. I would like to have as much clearance for turbo piping and have the option to run a factory LS A/C compressor. I have also heard the Spohn A-arms set the wheel forward in the wells. Any body have experience?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a spoon k-member in my 92 firebird 6.0/t56

It's a huge POS. had to cut both braces off the front to clear the alt and Ac compressor. A-arm box required a small notch to fit the Ac compressor properly. The main hoop hangs very low and scraps most speed bumps. Both tie rods rub above the big notches in the main hoop

I made my own solid mounts to correct the engine sitting crooked. I cant say for sure whether the k or spohn mounts were to blame for that. Both appeared to be eyeballed during fab, not jig welded

IMHO, I wouldn't run any tubular a-arms on the street. Do a search for redraif and see why

The main benefit of a tubular k is space not weight. The stocker looks massive and heavy, but is hollow thin sheet metal. Spohn k-member might save 5lbs total
Old 10-04-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Pocket. The main reason I'm going to a tubular K member is to make space for turbo piping and tubular A-arms for provisions for coil overs.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the High-Clearance BMR unit (The one with pedestal style motor mounts) ready to go in my car; appears to be a very solid and well build piece. There are a lot of guys running BMR products on here with overall great results.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:15 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had to build a 3/8 spacer with my Spohn K-member just to get things level again....

if I were to buy one again, I'd do the UMI instead....friend of mine has it, and had zero problems.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Spohn Tubular K-member