Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 runs with no MAF hooked up

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 runs with no MAF hooked up

Hey guys! I finally got the LQ4 in my 67 camaro fired up tonight. It would start and then die after a few seconds, I originally thought VATS, but then ran across some advice to disconnect the MAF and send into limp mode. I disconnected MAF and it now stays running, but now what do I do? Why is the MAF preventing it from running? Need some guidance. Thanks! Mark
Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

I'm going to assume that you have proper ducting from the MAF to the throttle body. If not, that's your issue.

If you have everything hooked up right, then something is wrong with the MAF itself or your wiring. The wires inside the MAF are very thin, its possible they were damaged when your engine was being shipped.

Do you have access to a scanner? See if you're getting a reading that seems reasonable.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Either the MAF is bad, wiring problem or the scaling for the MAF is incorrect in the tune. Do you have another MAF you could throw on to see if runs?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

I do not have another MAF handy, but I can get one. I looked at the first reply and think that it might be due to the fact that I do not have any ducting hooked up. I just had the MAF sitting on the intake. Hopefully I didn't damage the fine wires. I will get some ducting on it and see if it does the same thing. I did hook up a scanner and saw that it did not throw any codes with the MAF plugged in, but did throw the MAF code once I disconnected and started it. Thanks guys!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

You can stuff the MAF into the throttle body (cable) for a quick test. I ran mine for a while like that in the garage.

Quick Reply: LQ4 runs with no MAF hooked up