Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Issue installing aem ems on ls3 cam sensor and crank sensor related

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Issue installing aem ems on ls3 cam sensor and crank sensor related

Ok, well I'll start by mentioning what I'm building

I've swapped a lq9 block using ls3 heads and an ls9 cam into a 350z

Controlled by an AEM ems series 2 30-6051

I have a 24x crank wheel and a 4 minus 1 custom machined comp cams double roller cam gear (sensor in the front cam cover) 3bolt cam

The crank sensor is a black otherwise known as 12v sensor (2000 lq9 6.0l)

The cam sensor is a grey otherwise known as a 5v sensor (2009 ls3 6.2l)

I noticed 2 things that make me unsure of what to do... And I wanted to try and find the prOper way of doing this

Aem has a plug and play ls1 24xcrank 1xcam 30-1220 ecu for gm. In there wiring specs they mention that the sensors for cam and crank run off a 5v ref, but on the OEM specs these sensors are provided 12v from the gm ecu

Now on the flip side of things

There is an extension harness that is sold with a conversion kit to install a front mounted cam sensor on old style 24x with rear mounted cam sensor motors. This extends the original wiring that would usually route to the rear mounted cam sensor, and sends it to the now converted front sensor. But this front sensor uses 5v on the car it originated from and no changes are made to accommodate for the different sensor. So a 5v sensor ends up with 12v in it!

So I was thinking, does it matter? Should I run a filtered 12v output to both my sensors? Should I run a filtered 5v output to both? Should I run respective voltages of 5v and 12v, or should I replace the crank sensor with a 2009 corvette version and run 5v to both?

Does it all matter considering that AEM runs 5v on 12v sensors, and others seam to run 12v on 5v sensors?? Maybe I'm missing something here! I dunno! Lol I've searched this but I didn't get a definitive answer to what I should do! Hope I get some feedback for this thread thanks

Quick Reply: HELP Issue installing aem ems on ls3 cam sensor and crank sensor related