Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 with Rack and Pinion 63 Impala

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 with Rack and Pinion 63 Impala

For all that have converted over to the LS1s in the 63-64 Impala, has anyone used an aftermarket rack and pinion? I want to get away if I can from the original steering and upgrade to rack and pinion. I've called up Flaming River and they carry a nice set up but its not LS compatible. They think it will work but there most likely will need to be mods done to accommodate for the oil pan and other components? Also if I go with lowering springs and drop spindles that throws a whole other problem at the setup, mainly bad bump steer. I also talked to Late Great Chevy's but I spoke to this lady that had to ask around, so it was the blind leading the blind. I know this is not specifically an LS question but its a problem I'm encountering because of the swap. Any recommendations on a compatible LS1 rack and pinion setup that will work in a 1963 Impala?
Old 05-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Hello,
I am experiencing the exact same problem you are having. 63 impala ss with ls1 and an aftermarket rack and pinion that greatly shortens my steering radius. I just about need a Costco parking lot to turn around lol. So far I am looking to take the rack and pinion out and go back to original. I don't want to do that but it would be better than embarrassing my self in parking lots etc. I am searching as you, hope someone can help. Let me know what you come up with and I will do likewise.
Terry
Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Do you know what's causing the wide turning radius? I have the car in the shop now getting restored and gave them the rack and pinion to install. I'd hate to get it installed just to have problems and pay labor for it just to go with a 605 box.

Originally Posted by terryrandi
Hello,
I am experiencing the exact same problem you are having. 63 impala ss with ls1 and an aftermarket rack and pinion that greatly shortens my steering radius. I just about need a Costco parking lot to turn around lol. So far I am looking to take the rack and pinion out and go back to original. I don't want to do that but it would be better than embarrassing my self in parking lots etc. I am searching as you, hope someone can help. Let me know what you come up with and I will do likewise.
Terry
Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello,
Terry
Can you have custom steering arms made? shorten the arms and the steering angle increases for a given linear movement of the rack.

Doug
Old 05-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Smile

without looking at the car (its in the shop getting a sound system put in) and refreshing my memory I cannot specifically say exactly why the turning radius is so short.
Do you mind telling me who you got your R&P from ? Every one that I have checked with say their after market R&P's will not fit with ls1 engine. I have put a bundle into this car and not excited about doing customizing work to make it fit.

I have checked out Bobs impalas, classic industries and one that you checked out.
Good luck
Terry
Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Sorry to break in, but I went through an exercise like this with my 59 El Camino with 5.3/4L60E. Same frame and steering as your cars.

The solution is the Global West zero bump steer kit. It is not R&P, but you will think it is when driving it. It's a very well engineered and built product. I fought steering problems with my 59 for months (and spent $) before I found this. My car drives and handles better than it ever has. Check it out. You will not be disappointed. BTW, my only connection with Global West is as a satisfied customer.

MikeH
Old 05-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Are the correct tie rods on it?

Hello,
Terry
Old 05-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Default rack and pinion problems on 63 chevy

I am new to this forum and it is taking a bit of time for me to figure it all out, posting etc. Hope this goes through to dj63 and a few others.

My turning radius is too limited by the rack and pinion itself. I get about 3 1/4 turns at the steering wheel.

Since the car is not with me I cannot answer any other problems till Saturday.
Thanks
Terry
Old 05-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Default rack and pinion problems on 63 chevy

Originally Posted by DJ63
Are the correct tie rods on it?
I do not know if the tie rods are correct or not. Not sure if I would know correct or not.
Terry
Old 08-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Hey Mike,
hope you get this real late message. I went with Global West and got the whole Power steering Conversion & Bump Steer Kit. Just got it, but they said it should work out well with my steering issues. Sorry to take so long to get back to you but I just bagged the whole idea of fixing it until recently.
Thanks Terry
Old 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Teching In

PS. Should have addressed this to oldecmech. Hope you get this. also, Global West Suspension seem to be a good place to go, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Quick Reply: LS1 with Rack and Pinion 63 Impala