Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into a 1970 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Cferrel4- Let it all heal, man! The car(s) can wait. Get well, THEN start thrashin'! All the best!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a quick reply.70 Camaro I put away for winter. Going to order a different exhaust for it, thinking a traditional style cross flow. Although choices are very limited. Since I put my MBM formula up for sale I have high lift hot cam I am debating about also installing into the 70 so it will have some more bump. Although the high lift hot cam won't be a dramatic improvement from the LS6 cam, so kinda unsure if I should even bother to do it.

I have been working on the 67 at night for a half hour here or there after my son goes to bed and before I crash in bed too. Took me awhile but I got the blower motor, heater core and box all installed. I got the drip rail moldings on, both lower rocker panels, just got a new lock key set and installed that this week. Rug I have laid out, seats were professionally redone and are great. I still need someone to come and do the headliner. I ran the front brake lines and front to rear brake lines. The tail light wiring is all done, Just have to install the fuel tank that I just received wednesday and finish that back wiring. Got a couple friends to help yank out the bad camaro 10 bolt. I am thinking of just having it be sand blasted painted and redone since I was given all new parts for it. No its not original but I don't have money for a 12 bolt at this time and I can't find anyone rehabbing pontiac 10 bolts with single leaf springs. I will try and post some pictures up soon. I am really liking this 67; however, a proper garage addition would also be nice if I sold it and could then afford that with a lift.

I will post up some pictures of this 67 soon with its progress.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:43 AM
Launching!

FUEL TANK INSTALLED.

Wheel well trim installed.
Oh it has been awhile since I posted in here.

I cheaped out and ordered a thursh exhaust for the 70 camaro. I need something to get by and that will be the answer for now. Car is sitting on a lift, the exhaust is still on the car and the new exhaust is sitting on the floor underneath. Maybe 1 weekend I will get a few hours away from home duties and get it switched.

Been working on the 67 here and there but not at all regularly. It is to cold in the garage lately. I got all the wheel moldings on, put on quite a bit of trim. Got my gas tank and filler neck installed. Interior wiring is done besides the door contacts for the interior light.

Still searching for a 10 bolt pontiac with single leaf.

Working on getting the side glass installed. Hard to do without a good diagram.

Fretting about what to do with this 67 firebird and my 99 Formula MBM. I have twins on the way coming in june/july and my time is about to be really cut down. I plan on keeping the 70 and trying to drive it work after daycare drop off. I think this hobby will be at a halt this summer unfortunately.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Default Wife driving video

So I never posted a video of the 70 Camaro going down the road from inside. This video is from the summer when my wife drove it for the first time to the family reunion.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

How does the wife like driving to 70? Hopefully not too much. LOL Why are you ditching the Pypres exhaust? too loud? Drone? Which mufflers did you end up with? Have you considered Holley's Blackheart exhaust?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
How does the wife like driving to 70? Hopefully not too much. LOL Why are you ditching the Pypres exhaust? too loud? Drone? Which mufflers did you end up with? Have you considered Holley's Blackheart exhaust?
She really enjoys driving it, she pushes it a lot more then I do. I am ditching the dynatech exhaust because she says it is to loud for the baby and her. I also can not get it to fit right and am always getting rattle issues and no matter what I do to correct it, something else is not happy. I have heated and bent tail pipes to clear by quarters, it will be good for the drive home then next use it is rattling. So I went with a classic Thrush exhaust that has a traverse muffler. It is still 2.5" but the muffler is not straight through like the dynatech ones were. Although now I have to figure out how to clear the center brake hose for the rear axle assembly. I had to get extra long hose before because the stock one did not make it. If this thrush does not work out then I am just going to choke the muffler and find some 2.25" piping for it.

Nothing is ever simple with this Camaro or the 67 firebird for that matter. It feels that way. Maybe I just see the 93-02 as simple because I am so familiar with them.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll be watching for updates once it gets nicer up here in WNY.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Default Exhaust and sun visor holder.

Working on the exhaust again today. Current state of affairs as I am having to custom length the mid pipes from the headers. I also found a center sun visor support from a 70's Cadillac that will work for my Camaro. It bolts right in, lines up mint and the slots are the correct size. I just have to dye/paint it black! $20 and after years of searching I am glad I gave this a try.

Current state of exhaust fair for the 70 Camaro

Mock up sunvisor support.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Default 2.5" Thrush Exhaust

So I got the thrush exhaust on. All I have left is to install and weld on the rear hangers for the rear tail pipes. It fit in nicely, I like how the transverse muffler sits up higher than the 2 underneath the rear seats. I do not like how close it is to the gas tank, about a fingers width away, I guess though that is just how it is and how it was back in the day. I am not a fan of the tail pipes and how they look. Looking into tips or just cutting the pipes off by the quarter panel so they are more hidden.

Underneath look and fitment.

Tail pipes, not a big fan on how the look.

Hopefully this video has come through.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree on the tailpipes. It looks like they didn't want to spend the time to tuck them up. The exhaust is nice and quiet. I am curious if the new exhaust will choke the motor to much. I didn't realize your Camaro was that clean. It looks like mine thats from Nevada. Where did you get yours? Normally Fbodys that old are swiss cheese up in WNY
Old 03-03-2019, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

A few minutes with a Sawzall and some weld-on tips will solve your appearance issue. Sounds good! Old-school factory muscle car vibes!
Old 03-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Launching!

I agree on the tailpipes. It looks like they didn't want to spend the time to tuck them up. The exhaust is nice and quiet. I am curious if the new exhaust will choke the motor to much. I didn't realize your Camaro was that clean. It looks like mine thats from Nevada. Where did you get yours? Normally Fbodys that old are swiss cheese up in WNY
It came from Arizona. Floors, quarters, roof and frame are all original to the car. It is a very solid car.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

You got a real gem. NEVER sell it.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Launching!

You got a real gem. NEVER sell it.
I hope I will not have too. I just sold my 99 Medium Blue Firebird Formula that I have had for about as long as the 70. Not a great feeling, but with twins coming I can't keep everything. My wife would prefer that I do not sell the 70 after all my hard work so soon. She would be perfectly okay with the 67 going though.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Default Sun Visor center support.

Sun visor center support

There it is, finally uploaded my cadillac sunvisor center support all painted black. Fit mint and lines up great for the mirrors. Glad to finally have one in there like it is supposed to have.

Started wiring up my 67 Firebird in the engine bay. I have a long ways to go with the car. Just going to focus on getting a rear end and getting it rollable. Then it get shipped to work so we can try and get it running there at the shop when we are slow. Then off to the warehouse till what ever time allows between 3 babies under 2. Not planning on getting many car projects done this summer.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:40 AM
Launching!

I haven't touched my 70 Camaro in a couple months other then starting it up. I have been doing a bit hear and there on the 67 so here is some engine bay update pictures. Had the holley carb rebuilt, got it set on. trying to figure out the accessory brackets, and wiring up the engine bay. I go the front sway bar on and front shocks installed. Nothing left for the front suspension other then alignment.

got the front suspension shocks and sway bar installed. So the front suspension is now done.

Engine bay wiring.

these brackets that I was given only go on 1 way it seems and the alternator will not line up.

Carb on.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Default Crank No Start, no communication.

Well the camaro decided to act up. It will crank and not fire. The ecu disables the fuel pump relay circuit. I Saw no cranking rpm, so i replaced the crank position sensor with a new AC delco unit. Started and ran for a few seconds then died. Went to restart it again in order to do the ckp relearn procedure and it will not fire. I also can not communicate with the ECU. If i disconnect the battery and wait several minutes, then i can communicate with the ecu, fuel pump will sound and power to the relay. Crank, fire for a second then die. I don't have any time to do the idle relearn or ckp procedure. Then i can not communicate at all unless i disconnect the battery and start over. So i have no codes or data to go by either.
No matter how many times i cycle the key i can not get it to communicate to pull codes or anything. I always retain power to the obd2 port. All of the wiring harness is brand new.

The wires are not frayed or melted on the exhaust like i have been told can happen. I already triple checked that.

Thinking I may have a bad ECU. Has anyone had this issue before with their car or truck? If so what did you find?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder if VATS has re-activated? Can't hurt to check, it was just an idea by the way it is acting
Old 05-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I wonder if VATS has re-activated? Can't hurt to check, it was just an idea by the way it is acting
I thought about it, but I can not communicate long enough to access that part of the module.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Well I triple checked grounds and connections. Let it sit for a couple days. She started right up and has not failed yet. Drove it everywhere this past couple weeks, put on 200 miles. Had to adjust my exhaust system again.

I signed the 1970 Camaro up for autocross/driving school on June 1st. First time doing autocross and thought the driving school aspect would be fun. Looking forward to it!

The 67 Firebird is still a project clearly. Been working on wiring and starting to run fuel line front to rear. Waiting on my new 10 bolt for it to arrive. Contemplating selling it soon as my twin boys will be arriving next month. My spare cash has pretty much dried up unfortunately and it will still need a couple grand more invested in it. It is also going to need alot more time then I have available. What is it worth?

Quick Reply: LS1 into a 1970 Camaro