Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I've got a truck intake on the bench at work and should be able to accommodate your request tomorrow.
Any luck checking this yet? Thank you in advance!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by sixgunsuperman99
Any luck checking this yet? Thank you in advance!
I've laid the truck manifold on the engine but haven't gotten the chance to put the hood on to see what the clearance looks like underneath with it closed. I'll see if I can get it done today for you.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I've laid the truck manifold on the engine but haven't gotten the chance to put the hood on to see what the clearance looks like underneath with it closed. I'll see if I can get it done today for you.
Anything yet?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Anything yet?
I've been trying to get to it for a couple of days, but the management uppity-ups have found ways to repeatedly divert my efforts onto other things this week. The car will be leaving at the end of next week and I will find time between Monday and Friday to check it for you; I just can't say exactly when I'll be able to slip it in. Any particular place you want me to check? At the throttle body?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

I've been trying to get to it for a couple of days, but the management uppity-ups have found ways to repeatedly divert my efforts onto other things this week. The car will be leaving at the end of next week and I will find time between Monday and Friday to check it for you; I just can't say exactly when I'll be able to slip it in. Any particular place you want me to check? At the throttle body?
I can definitely relate to how that goes. At the throttle body would be a great point, and also at any hood cross braces that may get in the way. I haven't gotten far enough to figure out where any trouble areas may be yet, so I'm going to trust your judgment on where you think of to check. Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I can definitely relate to how that goes. At the throttle body would be a great point, and also at any hood cross braces that may get in the way. I haven't gotten far enough to figure out where any trouble areas may be yet, so I'm going to trust your judgment on where you think of to check. Thanks again!
I've just confirmed that the truck intake/throttle body without the dress cover clears a closed hood when sitting on an LS installed with the new Hooker 12618HKR engine bracket kit. With the cover I have here there is interference between the cover and the X-brace under the hood. I hope this help you out.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

I've just confirmed that the truck intake/throttle body without the dress cover clears a closed hood when sitting on an LS installed with the new Hooker 12618HKR engine bracket kit. With the cover I have here there is interference between the cover and the X-brace under the hood. I hope this help you out.
Todd,

You are the man. Thank you so much for checking on this! I don't care about the cover... so hopefully mine clears too!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am really happy to have found this thread and hopefully the rep from Holley is still monitoring new posts.

I am looking for a complete package to install in my 69 camaro. Currently the car is a full on project and the Suspension and underside of the car is 100%. I am looking to install an LS3 and T56 Magnum. I have a list of part numbers that should work but i have a few questions because of a semi unique steering setup.

1. I am running the ride tech TruTurn steering system. There is a little bit of extra tie rod clearance needed with this system. Is it possible to get a dimension using the 302-2 pan from the drag link to the face of the oil pan sump? If there is not enough clearance with this pan is it possible to use the 302-1 pan?

2. Do you have any cad/solid works or any other dimensioned type drawing so i can use my own measuring to determine what will work and what won't?

3. How much clearance is there between your header tubes and the tie rod ends all the way thru the steering cycle in both directions?

Last edited by Dub Silverado; 02-17-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
I am really happy to have found this thread and hopefully the rep from Holley is still monitoring new posts.

I am looking for a complete package to install in my 69 camaro. Currently the car is a full on project and the Suspension and underside of the car is 100%. I am looking to install an LS3 and T56 Magnum. I have a list of part numbers that should work but i have a few questions because of a semi unique steering setup.

1. I am running the ride tech TruTurn steering system. There is a little bit of extra tie rod clearance needed with this system. Is it possible to get a dimension using the 302-2 pan from the drag link to the face of the oil pan sump? If there is not enough clearance with this pan is it possible to use the 302-1 pan?

2. Do you have any cad/solid works or any other dimensioned type drawing so i can use my own measuring to determine what will work and what won't?

3. How much clearance is there between your header tubes and the tie rod ends all the way thru the steering cycle in both directions?
Thanks for the inquiry regarding the new Hooker/Holley 1st-gen F-body LS swap parts. I can pull together some photos for you that depict the clearance between the 302-2 oil pan and the inner tie rod ends and drag link at neutral steer and on the locks both ways, that should help to answer your question regarding compatibility with your TruTurn components.

I do have CAD drawings of our components, but they are protected intellectual property and not something I have the liberty of being able to share with persons outside of the company.

I'll dig up the photos that I have and post them up this morning.

Todd

Last edited by Toddoky; 02-17-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

These three images should tell you quite a bit about your question...the top image shows the relationship between the stock steering components and the Holley 302-2 oil pan and Hooker headers and the images below it show that clearance of the same components locked in a full right turn and full left turn respectively.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

This picture right here helps a lot. Would be nice to see it at full lock in both directions from the same POV
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

This picture right here helps a lot. Would be nice to see it at full lock in both directions from the same POV
I remembered this morning that I have a 1972 Nova here in the shop with all the 1st-gen swap stuff loaded in it and was able to snap this photo that definitively determines that the TruTurn drag link adapter will not be compatible with the entire new Hooker 1st-gen F-body/ 3rd-gen Nova set-up due to the fore/aft engine position established by the Hooker engine mounts and transmission crossmember. If you used the 302-2 oil pan with a different brand of engine mounts and crossmember that moves the engine all the way back against the firewall then I believe the oil pan would be compatible by itself. If someone was willing to notch the front of the 302-2 pan to clear the TruTurn drag link, I believe the tie rod ends would clear the new Hooker long tubes based on my personal photos and those I found online of the 48-hour Camaro.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see what you are saying.

Whats the reason that the 302-1 pan won't work with the specified mounts?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

I see what you are saying.

Whats the reason that the 302-1 pan won't work with the specified mounts?
The front of the 302-1 pan is too tall to be used with the new mounts and will have interference with the front engine crossmember. jacking the front of the engine up higher with washers/shims under the framestandes as some have done to be able to install the 302-1 pan is not advised as it is detrimental to your U-joint working angles.

The 302-1 pan could be used with the new Hooker mounts by either notching the front engine crossmember, or by reducing the height of the front profile of the pan.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know the answer to this will not be very specific because of integrating another brand of motor mounts but here goes.

What about using a mount such as the dingo slider. It will allow the engine to be pushed a bit further back toward the firewall. I wonder if this will give enough clearance to pass the TruTurn. Also moving the engine back will push the trans mount back, is there enough adjustment there? What about header to firewall or tie rod clearance.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I know the answer to this will not be very specific because of integrating another brand of motor mounts but here goes.

What about using a mount such as the dingo slider. It will allow the engine to be pushed a bit further back toward the firewall. I wonder if this will give enough clearance to pass the TruTurn. Also moving the engine back will push the trans mount back, is there enough adjustment there? What about header to firewall or tie rod clearance.
The Dirty Dingo sliders are higher most other mounts because of their stacked plates used to provide the adjustable feature, which means they contribute to a high installed engine height (again, bad for U-joint angles). The new Hooker headers will be sensitive to attempts to move the engine rearward due to the way the wrap around the steering box...I know you are determined to get all these parts to work together, but I don't think moving the engine is the path to success.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like the MAST motorsports pan might be the way to go. Or at least the best option. I have been looking at the dimensions of every pan that I'm aware of on the market.

Mast
Autokraft
ATS
Stock GM
Holley
Etc

Mast seems that it will still fit with the stock front crossmemeber with about 1/4" to spare. Also looks like its sump is the furthest back and will allow the best chance for tie rod clearance.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd.. just mounted my 302-2 on my LS1 for my Chevelle.. Only two issue was as follows:

1) trying to mount the second bolt on the pickup to oil pump. I ended up using hex headed bolts. As stated before on this or some other thread. Hard to use a bolt and socket/wrench to secure the bolt for the pickup with the front cover on. Suggest you supply the correct bolts to make it easier to install the pickup tube.

2) Black plastic cover on the Driver side near the oil filter, using the F-Body covers. I had to trim the plastic for the cover to sit flat. Might just put a commend on the Installation Instructions.

Both are somewhat minor. But I thought I let you know and maybe the Research Dept can come up with a good solution and packaging.

I'll get the engine back in soon and check the clearance of the pan to steering and cross member. But right now I also have just took the Nova out for its first road test !... so I am trying to work on to projects at the same time.. !

BC
Old 02-18-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bczee
Todd.. just mounted my 302-2 on my LS1 for my Chevelle.. Only two issue was as follows:

1) trying to mount the second bolt on the pickup to oil pump. I ended up using hex headed bolts. As stated before on this or some other thread. Hard to use a bolt and socket/wrench to secure the bolt for the pickup with the front cover on. Suggest you supply the correct bolts to make it easier to install the pickup tube.

2) Black plastic cover on the Driver side near the oil filter, using the F-Body covers. I had to trim the plastic for the cover to sit flat. Might just put a commend on the Installation Instructions.

Both are somewhat minor. But I thought I let you know and maybe the Research Dept can come up with a good solution and packaging.

I'll get the engine back in soon and check the clearance of the pan to steering and cross member. But right now I also have just took the Nova out for its first road test !... so I am trying to work on to projects at the same time.. !

BC
Thanks for the feedback BC, what is the black plastic cover you are referring to? can you post a photo?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks like the MAST motorsports pan might be the way to go. Or at least the best option. I have been looking at the dimensions of every pan that I'm aware of on the market.

Mast
Autokraft
ATS
Stock GM
Holley
Etc

Mast seems that it will still fit with the stock front crossmemeber with about 1/4" to spare. Also looks like its sump is the furthest back and will allow the best chance for tie rod clearance.
I sent you a PM to check the new thread I put up this morning regarding this issue in more detail...I think you and everyone wanting to run the new Hooker/Holley parts with the TruTurn system will find it informative.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info