Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm at a loss...yoke is stuck in tranny

Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm at a loss...yoke is stuck in tranny

I'm about to start fabricating a crossmember for my 4L60E in my nova and need to get the yoke outta the back of the tail housing. **** won't budge. Shouldnt it just slide out. There shouldn't be anything holding it in there...right. I'm about to get violent with BFH. But I don't wanna risk breaking the tail housing. Yoke is not going to be reused.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it should slide off. Unless the splines are damaged, get the hammer. If its stuck its already damaged.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zipster
Yes it should slide off. Unless the splines are damaged, get the hammer. If its stuck its already damaged.
I've tried tapping it with a hammer. Tried to carefully pry it out and nothing. My motor and trans have been sitting a while and it was a pullout from a wrecked 99 camaro. Guess its possilbe drive shaft coulda got slammed forward in a wreck if hi t from behind
Old 12-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Beat that thing like a red headed stepchild!

I had one get so jammed in a th400 after a u-joint failure. Is any of the shank on the yoke showing?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Teching In

None. I can get some movement on the balance ring or whatever its called when using a pry bar and hammer. Next step is a slide hammer. Then maybe the torch as a last measure.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Launching!

It sure sounds like it's been jammed in from a blow from behind.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by krochus
That is probably what happened. Maybe a rear end collision. That thing should slide out real easy.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Slide hammer or air hammer should do the trick.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

If its been sitting a while, possible it is rusted... Is there trans fluild in the trans.. Try tilting to let the fluild soak the rear area then use the slide hammer...

pull the VSS sensor out and take a look.. Maybe spray some PB Blasts or WD40 on the shaft through the VSS hole and let it flow on to the shaft and yoke.

Torch may help..?

BC
Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

x3 Torch. Just a nice even heat in the thing you dont need to get it red hot or anything like that. Heck even a propane torch and 15 mins of careful heating should do it. Maybe 5-10 with an oxy/acet if you dont want to be rough and start melting seals and whatnot. Heat, then tap with a hammer. Dead blows are handy for this type of stuff. Pack a wallop to move stuff, but dont mar the components
Old 12-16-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krochus
Im gonna leave that one alone.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
If its been sitting a while, possible it is rusted... Is there trans fluild in the trans.. Try tilting to let the fluild soak the rear area then use the slide hammer...

pull the VSS sensor out and take a look.. Maybe spray some PB Blasts or WD40 on the shaft through the VSS hole and let it flow on to the shaft and yoke.

Torch may help..?

yeah, there's still fluid in the tranny. I had the motor and trans sitting at an angle for a quite a bit while putting in the car. I thought WD40 would be a wise choice to let it soak but after thinking about it, wouldn't wd40 contaminate the tranny? check out this pic. Im going to try and drill a hole in the cut off shaft to better mount a slide hammer hook. I cant get a good grip as it sits now.

BC
Originally Posted by cam
x3 Torch. Just a nice even heat in the thing you dont need to get it red hot or anything like that. Heck even a propane torch and 15 mins of careful heating should do it. Maybe 5-10 with an oxy/acet if you dont want to be rough and start melting seals and whatnot. Heat, then tap with a hammer. Dead blows are handy for this type of stuff. Pack a wallop to move stuff, but dont mar the components
Yeah torch as a last resort. I thinking id most certainly melt the trans seal.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Im gonna leave that one alone.
I know right!!!Dirty...
Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Will the car roll? Does it have brakes? Chain the yoke to something and push the car down the driveway.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
Will the car roll? Does it have brakes? Chain the yoke to something and push the car down the driveway.
Yeah, NO DANGER IN DOING THAT MOVE!!??

The following users liked this post:
Jimbo1367 (10-10-2023)
Old 12-17-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2 holes 180 degrees opposed and go side to side, or make a plate to drop into the shaft and bolt from 2 sides and pull from center.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the U-joint and make a puller by sliding a shaft into the holes where the u-joint caps are. Drill a hole in the center of the shaft and put a bolt through it. Make a frame from heavy plate or channel iron that can be bolted to the horizontal holes in the tail section and extends out past the yoke. Have a heavy plate on the outside of this with a hole for the bolt in the shaft to go through. Put a couple of washers on the bolt, grease the threads well and screw a nut on it to pull on the yoke. Tighten the nut and tap on the back side of the yoke and I bet it will come off.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wooooh stop , try losening the bolts on the tailhousing and removing both at the same time , will be easier to deal with "if" it works . and if it does you are going to need a new tailhousing or bearing at the least
Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ijimmy
wooooh stop , try losening the bolts on the tailhousing and removing both at the same time , will be easier to deal with "if" it works . and if it does you are going to need a new tailhousing or bearing at the least
true!

or a slide hammer, or a deadblow, but MOST DEF leave the torch alone unless all steps before don't work!!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ijimmy
The Yoke is most likely frozen on the output shaft.. I would think if you loosen the tail housing. it is not going to help loosen the yoke/output and you would only end up with an oily mess. But give it a try ...

BC
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

A slide hammer will likely damage the internals or bearings that support the shaft. Heat will burn the seals
txcarbuilder has the correct answer. Drill the center of the U joint, make a tool or use a 2 jaw puller to press against the output shaft.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm at a loss...yoke is stuck in tranny