Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swap into 1996 GMC 1500 2wd truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS swap into 1996 GMC 1500 2wd truck

I'm relatively new to this site and have some questions.... I am wanting to do a LS swap into my sons 1996 2wd 1500 truck. I have just put a rebuilt factory 4L60e in the truck. At the time I did this I didn't have a LS swap in mind. I'm wanting to build a 6.0 iron block (stock bottom end) with a good set of heads, mild cam and headers, factory car style intake and injection. Wanting around 400+/-hp. will my current transmission work with this engine and what do I need to do for the wiring/computer/fuel pump to make it work? or would I be better off to pull a 6.0 engine/trans/wiring from a salvage truck, I realize the truck transmission would be a 4L80e or maybe find a LS1, 4L60e transmission and wiring out of a Camaro or Trans Am? I have above average mechanical ability but haven't messed with the LS stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Which way would be the most economical way to go?
Old 12-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Chevrolet version of this very same truck and have been looking into the possibility as a future project. So I can share some of my research but not any personal experience.

Lots of build threads at LS1truck.com including this step by step sticky on the swap you are considering.

Another document I found helpful was at the Street and Performance website documenting a LS1 swap into a 96 Tahoe.

I believe on the 1996 and newer trucks there are several things that make this swap fairly simple. The 4L60E transmission in your truck should just plug into whatever LS harness you end up using. Also, the fuel pump in these trucks puts out 60 psi so no fuel pump changes are required.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

I'm currently putting a 6.0 in my 92 GMC reg cab. I don't have experience with those transmissions but I hear higher power levels are an issue with them holding up. As said earlier your fuel pump should work. I don't know about the wiring as I am going carbuerated which is a lot easier and more power for the money backed by a th350. There is a ton of info on ls1truck on the ls conversion section. Good luck
Old 12-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Ay more info would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:14 PM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the swap in my 94 ext cab.lq9 6.0 with 4l80 e trans.your 4l60e will work and fuel pump to a certain hp.you want 400 at the crank or wheels? A lq4 6.0 you will need to change the flywheel to run your 4l60e.i had current performance to custom build me a harness from the fire wall to the motor.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sbf
I did the swap in my 94 ext cab.lq9 6.0 with 4l80 e trans.your 4l60e will work and fuel pump to a certain hp.you want 400 at the crank or wheels? A lq4 6.0 you will need to change the flywheel to run your 4l60e.i had current performance to custom build me a harness from the fire wall to the motor.
Thanks for info. I am mostly worried about wiring. I am pretty confident I can do it myself but am a little confused after watching and reading on the Internet, how to tie it all together with factory harness. I saw one swap by Street and performance where they left the factory computer and added the LS computer also. I have found a wrecked 02 Camaro LS 1 and 4L60e complete for 2k. I'm seriously considering this option because I would have all brackets, wiring, motor, trans, ect. Freshen it up (maybe bore it and put in new flat top pistons)add a good set of heads, cam, headers and a tune. A lot of HP isn't that important yet 400 plus at the flywheel would be fine. My son has only been driving for a year so I don't want too much but a good foundation to build off of. I feel that combo would make 400 hp pretty easy. I would be interested in a contact where you got your harness. Thanks again for any info.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pcechols
I'm relatively new to this site and have some questions.... I am wanting to do a LS swap into my sons 1996 2wd 1500 truck. I have just put a rebuilt factory 4L60e in the truck. At the time I did this I didn't have a LS swap in mind. I'm wanting to build a 6.0 iron block (stock bottom end) with a good set of heads, mild cam and headers, factory car style intake and injection. Wanting around 400+/-hp. will my current transmission work with this engine and what do I need to do for the wiring/computer/fuel pump to make it work? or would I be better off to pull a 6.0 engine/trans/wiring from a salvage truck, I realize the truck transmission would be a 4L80e or maybe find a LS1, 4L60e transmission and wiring out of a Camaro or Trans Am? I have above average mechanical ability but haven't messed with the LS stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Which way would be the most economical way to go?
...Pcechols...How did your LS swap turn out? Updates please.

Quick Reply: LS swap into 1996 GMC 1500 2wd truck