Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best alternator for ls swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SSSTANG#1
What exactly would it not do that you needed it to do?
not enough output amperage for my setup
Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Alternator parts dot com sells the regulators
Old 02-06-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the Holley rendered the alt useless. Please excuse my ignorance.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 PM
8 Second Club

I thought the Holley rendered the alt useless. Please excuse my ignorance.
no...it defnitely did not do that...

its all good....
Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I never said I couldnt use it with the Holley EFI....

I probably did say that the Holley EFI did not provide a signal to allow it to charge.
"the alternator worked good for me, but when I swapped to my Holley EFI, I no longer had the wire from the pcm to control the thing, so I swapped to a 220 amp one wire alternator...self exciting, no wire from the pcm." -soundengineer
Old 02-06-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Alternator parts dot com sells the regulators
Not a self exciting regulator for DR44G.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 PM
8 Second Club

I never said I couldnt use it with the Holley EFI....

I probably did say that the Holley EFI did not provide a signal to allow it to charge.
"the alternator worked good for me, but when I swapped to my Holley EFI, I no longer had the wire from the pcm to control the thing, so I swapped to a 220 amp one wire alternator...self exciting, no wire from the pcm." -soundengineer
see... my half *** memory did remember something correctly...LOL....
Old guy problems....

somehow I think this post has gotten off topic now..LOL
what was the OP's original post about?

oh...which alternator was best to use...LOL... were way past that now..LOL
Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ZERO PROBLEMS with mine
and if it does fail... I can still replace it with a standard alternator as most parts stores also sell light bulbs with wiring sockets

I couldnt tell you who sells the regulator separate...but I know they exist and I know the LSx alternators can be converted.

I had a local shop here in nashville tell me they could convert it..its not that complicated

also, you are mostly paying for the high amperage alternator with the powerbastards stuff.... the regulator is like a $30 part..LOL
You don't actually need a light bulb, a resistor will work just fine, I just grabbed a 5w 87 ohm resister form rat shack and soldered it into the l wire then ran it to a keyed hot source. Works like a charm.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having an issue with my alt charging. did the resistor to 12v switched no output. had the alt tested was good. i also am using holley efi. im not having any luck at all.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Which alternator? I'm just using a stock one and the Holley efi and it charges fine. Is the 12V going to the right pin in the plug? If you get tired of patching things together Holley sells a yellow wire with the plug for $14 or something. I've read that some alternators will self excite once you hit 3k rpms or so, not sure which ones or if true or not, but either way from what I recall the Holley has no input into what the alternator does, so if the alt is good then the issue seems to be turning it on. At this point I'd do one (or both) of two things - take a test light and double check that 12V and/ or order that Holley plug just for the sake of eliminating one variable.
Someone will doubtless correct any errors I've made, so wait for someone else to chip in before taking any of this as fact.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fIgured it out. Must have a short in the battery kill switch. Hooked the wire from the back of the alternator right to the battery and it started charging over 13v. UOTE=chuckd71;19231728]Which alternator? I'm just using a stock one and the Holley efi and it charges fine. Is the 12V going to the right pin in the plug? If you get tired of patching things together Holley sells a yellow wire with the plug for $14 or something. I've read that some alternators will self excite once you hit 3k rpms or so, not sure which ones or if true or not, but either way from what I recall the Holley has no input into what the alternator does, so if the alt is good then the issue seems to be turning it on. At this point I'd do one (or both) of two things - take a test light and double check that 12V and/ or order that Holley plug just for the sake of eliminating one variable.
Someone will doubtless correct any errors I've made, so wait for someone else to chip in before taking any of this as fact.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs up Oh ya!

Originally Posted by aknovaman
For those who contemplating using a one wire alternator, best of luck. Unless the design has significantly improved over the past 20 years, they suck with any load at idle. Especially with the headlights, ac on and electric fans running, much less any significant stereo amplifier. Many street rod guys jumped on that bandwagon a while back and regretted it then switched back to a normal alternator that is more efficient. Looking for significant success stories. Is it really that big of a deal to add/include a simple wire through a lamp on the dash to switched ignition power? How about when the alternator fails on a road trip in small town America. With a one wire you are sheet out of luck. With std alternator most any parts store has them on the shelf. Just my opinion.
BTDT.. Been in the hotrod bus for a looonng time. I see this same scenario played out, often.
HAS to be "pretty"...Screw it, if it doesn't work.

As for the lamp, don't think you can delete the lamp, and run a strait 12v out there. The load the bulb provides is needed.[The turbo Buicks are noted for eating alts when this mistake is made.]

Quick Reply: best alternator for ls swap?