Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions. 3rd Gen Celica. To buy or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opinions. 3rd Gen Celica. To buy or Not?

A friend of mine is selling his 3rd gen Celica. Engine is blown. Its RWD with a 2.4L in it. interior/body are in decent shape. Seems okay mechanically. He bought it from a co-worker that assured him it was a reliable car and the engine blows 2 weeks later. Has decent wheels/tires on it. 18" Wheels with falken tires /w lots of tread.

My garage is full and I don't have a lot of cash since I'm still trying to get my LS swapped Nova roadworthy.

However, he wants $500 for the car. I was thinking about a simple 4.8/5.3 swap /w 4L60e. I was hoping I could find a couple drop-out somewhere local with the accessories and ECU/harness attached and just drop the whole thing in and be done with it. Car will only weigh about 2800 lbs so 300 HP will be plenty for now.

4 things here.
1. Already have a project underway, and the woman isn't too happy about that one to begin with. I REALLY want the Nova finished.
2. I probably won't find another lightweight RWD car this ripe for the picking anytime soon.
3. Most of my money is tied up in the Nova.
4. Finding a complete donor engine/trans isn't something that comes often around here.

What do you guys think I should do? I would REALLY love to LS swap something like this for a beater, and then sell it when I'm tired of it. I've been looking for a 280z, 240sx, or something along those lines that would be plenty of car with a stock truck motor, but I'm just wondering how much of a project I'm about to undertake (not swap related in general, I've done this quite a few times).

BTW, if anyone lives in the Cincinnati area and knows where I can get a complete running 4.8/5.3 with trans, let me know.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful. Those cars are prone to front and rear subframe mount rot. Also rear trunk tubs

Looks like you've already answered your own question.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still on the fence. If I swap it, its just to beat on for the summer and then put it up for sale. Looking to have less than 2500 invested so I can get my money back by selling it.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Teching In

the celicas are nice cars. I believe they are solid rear axle still which you can swap in a nice 8" rear if the 7.5" doesn't hold up. I have a mk3 supra but its a whole different car from the celica.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Ls swapping a car just to turn around and sell it less than a year later sounds like a waste of time and money that could be going towards your nova. Just my opinion.

It would be one fun beater though.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a history of taking cars destined for the junk yard and giving them new life. This one is going to the crusher if I don't buy it.

I bought a 98 Mustang with a 3.8 a while back that was on its way to the crusher (I paid scrap price), swapped in a 351w and sent it on its way. I still see it from time to time.

I have a lot of cars already. 2013 Dart, 69 Nova, 11 Fiesta, 05 SRT-4.. on and on. Currently the open spot in the garage is being used for whichever one of us has to leave earliest in the morning and doesn't want to be scraping ice off the car at 5:30 in the morning. Personally, I'll scrape ice if it means I can have more toys.

I want to take a junkyard LS/trans, drop them in with custom motor/trans mounts, reweld the driveshaft, and go. I want it so I can have something fun to drive while the Nova is still under the knife. Everything else I own is FWD or slower than *****.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Im always looking for another project too but if you want your nova done, don't have money and the wife is going to be mad.....seems like a no brainer....buy it. hahaha.

Last edited by Jason454; 01-06-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha that doesn't help.

Originally the nova was going full pro touring with either TCI or speed tech full IRS front with custom subframe and torque arm rear, coilovers, 6 piston wilwoods, etc. Told myself no point in all of that unless I'm going to road race it or autocross. Then decided I didn't want to total a car that my dad had owned since before I was born taking a corner too hard and losing it. So its going turbo LS with leafs and caltracs. Probably still getting most of the tubular front and brakes.

So I've been looking for a lightweight, cheap RWD car that I can LS swap and beat the hell out of. This just happened to come along when all of my cash has been focused on the nova. I have the money, I'm not broke, but do I need the other project?

Last edited by HexenLord; 01-06-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Teching In

500 is cheap if its in the condition you say. Can't go wrong even if you have to resale. I think it would be tough to be driving it for 2500.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't get it. Someone from Craigslist is coming to get it.

2500 wouldn't have been a stretch. There's a salvage yard in my neighborhood. They don't sell individual parts, just full cars. 99 and up only. Wrecked, theft recovery, etc. Most of them are rebuildable with salvage titles.

I can get a Silverado with rear end damage, still running, for 2000. It'll have everything I need. I could part out the rest and make back half my money.

As it turns out, 300ZXs are EVERYWHERE around here. N/A automatics can be had running and driving for 2 grand. I'll find one with a blown motor eventually for less than 1500. That's a better candidate for a track car. There's a 2500HD at that yard that still runs and drives with heavy rear damage with a 6.0 for 2500. Looks like I'll probably go that route.

Quick Reply: Opinions. 3rd Gen Celica. To buy or Not?