Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd mix any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd mix any ideas?

So like it says, I got an odd combo. My boat has a 351w and I was looking into swaping in an ls motor and it would cost more than I can muster. So I read somewhere that it has the same firing order as the ls family. If numbered the same they do. So here it is. If I bought a 351w intake with injector ports (220 ebay) and instead of a billet tb use an adapter and a stock cable operated throttle body. Add a reluctor ring to the balancer and a cam sensor to the distributor. Delete the o2s and run just a map and maf. What do you all think? Possible or Not?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. You say you already have the 351w and can't afford an LS swap. Then you say you bought a 351w intake, add reluctor to balancer, and cam sensor to distributor. You don't say which engine you want to do any of this to or even why, or what the intake/reluctor/sensor are even for.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to confuse. The boat came with the 351w. I would like to convert but its not just a simple change bell housings and flywheel. I have been figuring for a while and even used parts it's going to be like 4000 to just get to the point where I could get one of my 6.0s installed. So when I found that the two engines have the same firing order, it got me thinking. I have a complete 6.0 harness and sensors, and reluctor rings. I would need to mount a ring to the back of the balancer.(Dad is a machinist, free) Figure out a way to mount and trigger 2 pulses for cam sensor at distributor. And fab an adapter from a stock throttle body and the intake I previously mentioned. I figure less than 500. not counting labor. So I'm wondering what kind of hiccups could I encounter, tuning? That's why I am asking here. Has anyone tried this?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm all for stomping out into uncharted territory...but mating two different engines together sounds like trouble. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I know if IIIII tried it, I would waste 2 grand on it before it caught on fire and exploded in my face.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im still confused. So you aren't swapping in an LS? Then what are you doing? You don't say which of the 2 engines you are doing these mods to. From what I gather, you want to convert the 351w to fuel injection using the LS harness and computer?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you want FI using ls parts, just use an ls motor.
Or are you trying to just put an ls in where the 351 is now? What, exactly, are you hoping to end up with?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are talking about swapping GM EFI onto the 351W, then sure, it's possible, but I wouldn't bother.

I would find an EEC5 or EEC4 Ford EFI from a van with a 351w and retrofit using that. By the time you have everything worked out to run GM EFI on the ford engine, you could easily just buy Ford EFI, or maybe even aftermarket EFI.

Also, I would redo all the electrical connections to waterproof plugs and recepticals, and backfill the various non waterproof connections with potting material and dielectric grease.

Nearly everything is possible depending on how much time and money you want to put into it.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Ford engine with GM EFI and spark control. Reason being I have the GM parts and HP Tuners to do the cal. Its just an air pump, with a different badge. That and working on Ford efi at work is such an *** ache I don't want to deal with that on my boat. GM efi is a dream in comparison. Just to do the ls swap I would have to replace everything behind the engine. Not in the cards.

Last edited by ls6musclehead; 01-08-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: not enough info
Old 01-08-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How is your out drive setup? I replaced one in a buddys boat a couple of years ago and don't remember it being at all engine specific.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes you can do it.

look up eficonnection.

you can use a 4x crank sensor and I bet you can find a distro that is ford on the bottom and gm on the top. it wont be COP but it will be fuel injected.

check out the gm L31 I think it is.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Is it carb'd now? Is there another reason to go EFI other than tuning?

What about swapping to something like the MSD or FAST bolt on EFI systems?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

HexenLord, according to several used parts sources. The older mercruiser setups like mine had specific parts for Ford engines and entirely different parts for the Chevy counterparts. I thought i could just change the flywheel housing and match up the rear mount dimensions but they don't match. So everything that the outdrive bolts upto between the engine and outdrive needs replaced. Gut it to the hull and start over.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Cajundragger, thank you I will.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Wolfy, yes it is carbed. With fuel injection it opens me up to cheaper fuel and better fuel economy. I can also loose a mechanical fuel pump and problems with vapor locking. I looked at the carb like fuel injection kits and holy cow they are expensive. Most also require a wide band to function. The exhaust is water injected to cool it. O2s don't play well with that much water.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

no matter what efi you go with you will need a wideband to tune it.

I know the L31 stuff will work for you. I was going to use it on a '48 Cadillac flathead but now I'm going 24x with COP.

My brother did make a gen 1 small block run with an lt1 intake and basically the L31 parts. Still has a distro but it is efi and tunable with efilive and runs great.

even if the firing order isnt the same as long as the crank is crossplane you can just route the plug wires around differently. such as the case on gen1 sbc vs ls1.

Quick Reply: Odd mix any ideas?