Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you use this diff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you use this diff?

I am looking to do a LS1 miata. I was curious to know if I can use my 2002 camaro diff in it or will it not fit?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could mount anything in there with enough fabrication, here is a ki that uses the ford 8.8. which is stronger than the shitty 10 bolt anyway.
http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_V8_Swap.html
Old 01-13-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No reason you can't use any rear diff.. as long as it can be shorten in width and mounts can be alled. Soif you can get the F-Body one setup.. go for it..

But as stated above.. they are pretty weak and there are better choices. One plus is that the Miata is a lot lighter and will help it live under the V8 power/torque.

From what I have read.. most Miata go with the Ford 8.8 as it fits well and is more that strong enough that you can throw just about anything at it.

if going with the F-Body..Another option is to try and find one of the third generation Camaros that were available with an optional Borg Warner 9-Bolt rear end. And much stronger that the 10 bolt GM ones. But can be hard to find and cost more to find parts to rebuild. A plus is that the 3rd gen are a 1" narrower on each side. But will use the same mounting points and hardware.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If doing the swap, I'd probably go with the 8.8. Everything I heard about the 10-bolt 7.5" gives me the impression it is a ticking time bomb. If you REALLY want to use a 10-bolt and have mad narrowing skillz, go with one from a 90s B-body (Impala SS, Taxi cab, Roadmaster, etc). They've got 8.5" ring gears, 30 spline axles and coil spring mounting. Some have rear disc.

I have a N.O.S. factory posi diff unit for one, with new bearings pressed on, that I'll let go for stupid cheap (ended up using a truetrac instead). It will also fit a 2nd gen F-body diff, but will require new axles.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

With a welder, a torch, and a lot of time, you could probably do just about anything. But why would you?

The Miata is an IRS car. And there are a couple of complete kits available to use a very strong IRS unit. IMO, a small car like a Miata really does a lot better wit IRS. The ride and handling is vastly superior.

The only real reason to use a solid axle is if the car is specifically set up for high horsepower drag racing. And then you'd probably want to put in a rear sub frame from Reher Morrison, and an aftermarket Ford 9" diff.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Teching In

At the time of the post I was not aware that the miata was a IRS.

s the ford the only diff you guys would suggest? are the CTS IRS as good as the ford 8.8? I am looking for something with 3.42 gears already in it.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here.

I'd look into what .boB is saying. I know there are a LOT of go fast parts geared toward Spec Miata racing, and I wouldn't be surprised to find something beefy enough to take LS1 abuse. If not, the 9 inch is a winner and the 8.8 will do the job.

If you're hell bent on swapping out the original rear suspension, some IRS donors that might be worth looking into include late 90s BMW 3-series and 4th gen Mustang Cobra. I'm guessing the CTS suspension will be too big to realistically modify and have fit correctly in a Miata. You might have an Indy car look on the rear end.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Well I am not really "hell bent" on anything yet. I am just trying to find out which is the best one to use and if I can get it with 3.42 gears, otherwise I'll have to tune my car to get the correct mph.

Which kit should I use for the ls1 miata build?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Ford makes a zillion gear ratio choices. Stock '03-04 Cobra rear is 31 spline LSD and 3:55 gears. The Tbird is 28 spline and typically taller gearing (3.08 etc) and non LSD.

The Driveshaft Shop can build you axles in any config you want. Remember you are going to have $2K wrapped up in the rear end easily alone upgrading to the 8.8" IRS setup and DSS axles plus upgraded dshaft.

Problem with Miatas and big power... is you can't put a ton of tire under them unless you run flared fenders.... and they have a pretty short wheelbase. They can be made to be very very light though and can haul *ss.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

There are two readily available options: Ford 8.8, and Getrag (from GM). The Getrag is readily available, and allows the use of 3" twin tail pipes. But there have been some problems with leakage (not breakage).

The Ford 8.8 comes out of a T-bird or Mustang IRS. It is a lot stronger than the Getrag, and will handle just about anything you can throw at it. But it is heavier and bulkier; and only allows the use of 2.75" tail pipes.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...002%20%208.8S3

http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_V8_Swap.html

Quick Reply: Can you use this diff?