Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump Question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump Question.

I have a stock tank in my 81 Camaro and I was wondering if I could run a in-line fuel pump to the new ls setup. From what Ive read you need about 58-60 psi for the injectors. What pump does that? I've seen a lot of them and they are 14 psi and like 300gph.... great for a carb setup but not for the efi. I have a 5.3 out of a truck so what would be a good injector # to go with as well. Stock everything except I'm going with a ls1 or ls6 intake for hood clearance. Thanks again. You guys are awesome. Just sayin.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

I use the walboro 255 inline pump from summit. I use one on my chevelle with a stock tank without any problems. Also on a 66 chevy truck with stock tank behind the seat and a 65 truck with a stock blazer tank under the bed. I think the part number is vpn-gsl-392. As far as injectors goes that i dont know right off hand. However the car injectors and truck injectors take different plugs. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skull1313
From what Ive read you need about 58-60 psi for the injectors. What pump does that? I've seen a lot of them and they are 14 psi and like 300gph.... great for a carb setup but not for the efi.
You need to stay away from summit and jegs magazines then.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read a lot about the walbro inline pumps but I heard their noisy. In tank seems to be the best route from what I've read but it's more $. I'm trying to decide on my fuel system also, 5.3 into a 75 Camaro.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by M6 Swap
I have read a lot about the walbro inline pumps but I heard their noisy. In tank seems to be the best route from what I've read but it's more $. I'm trying to decide on my fuel system also, 5.3 into a 75 Camaro.
Some inline pumps are noisier than others but in my experience internal and external Walbro's aren't excessively noisy unless they are bad. In tank is the way to go if you have the room and ability from a space, noise, reliability and fuel pickup considerations. Most non-EFI tanks aren't baffled which allows the fuel to slosh during rapid directional changes (acceleration, braking and cornering).

Last edited by gofastwclass; 01-30-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

On my chevelle at idle the exhaust is so quite you can hear the injectors clicking and you cant hear the pump at all. Its super quite. I havent had any noise issues with these pumps at all. My cousin had a noisey one but he changed where he mounted it at and now you can barely hear it.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the biggest problems dealing with conversions from Efi to carb or vice-verse are

A carb low pressure system requires high volume low pressure

a late model efi requires 40-80psi depending on what set up you are running high pressure lower volume

you did not mention what you were doing for pickup rails regulator excreta

If you want it to be reliable you need to plumb the system with the proper size lines fittings and return line set-up. This will keep the pump cool, all the injectors will see full pressure before you return and the voltage will be more consistent.

one of the troubles with inline pumps is the inability for the pump to cool.(depending on the rest of the system of course) You will also see the current demand for the pump to fluctuate quite a bit depending on heat and demand.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a Bosch 044 external with very good success. Can't hear it above idle. 100 plus weather and no problems.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump Question.