Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro G8/6L80e Swap *Build Thread*

Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
I would switch the pedal to a 04+ Corvette, the wiring is the same and looks like a factory pedal for your car.
I am pretty sure that is not a 2004 Corvette pedal. Looks like a 2007 Impala SS pedal. Same one that I used on my build.

Andrew
Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hybrid 69

I had to call spectra to get the fuel pump part number before I ordered the tank from Rockauto. I was surprised to find out that they were running an AC Delco fuel pump with their kit. I figured they'd be running some no name cheap pump. The part numbers for the fuel tank and extra fuel pump should be on page 1 of this build.
After a couple of calls and emails to Spectra, I was able to talk to the tech who said that the pump they include in the kit, is a foreign pump, I believe the implication is that it is made in China, though it is modeled after the EP381. I purchased the tank with their pump and an additional AC Delco EP381, which is going to go in the tank and the one from the kit will be a back up pump.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprech
After a couple of calls and emails to Spectra, I was able to talk to the tech who said that the pump they include in the kit, is a foreign pump, I believe the implication is that it is made in China, though it is modeled after the EP381. I purchased the tank with their pump and an additional AC Delco EP381, which is going to go in the tank and the one from the kit will be a back up pump.
Oh well thats good to know. The guy who I spoke to at Spectra wasnt very helpful and I had to pull all the info I got out of him with continual questions. He made it seem that is was an EP381, but what you are saying makes sense. It's also what I figured they would do (cheap pump with the kit). I might swap ours out too, we have not installed our tank in the car yet but have it waiting to go in. Thanks for the info!

Not much progress on the car as of late. The guy doing it for us has told me he ran the tranny cooler lines/hoses are hooked up to the radiator, mounted the ecm, wired the alternator, mounted the speartech 4 fuse block/relays for the fans and fuel pump. He has also done some other wiring in the engine compartment and mounted the starter. No pics from him of the progress though I live 8 hours away so I cant just drop by unfortunately...
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

So the supply line from the tank is a 5/8-18 SAE 45* flare. I don't think anyone makes that to a -6 AN. I don't know if you've gotten to the tank install yet or not, but how are you guys solving for that? I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a weld/solder on.

Name:  image001_zps86a3457f.gif
Views: 1746
Size:  58.0 KB
Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

So the supply line from the tank is a 5/8-18 SAE 45* flare. I don't think anyone makes that to a -6 AN. I don't know if you've gotten to the tank install yet or not, but how are you guys solving for that? I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a weld/solder on.

We almost got the tank in this weekend. The guy doing the swap has a plan to use AN fittings and flexible fuel line so I think all the fittings are available but we havent ordered them yet. I will keep you posted when we do, sorry I dont have a better answer right now..
Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Got to go back home this past weekend, made some progress on the car. As I'm sure you all know everything takes 3 times longer than you think it will.
Name:  IMG_3699_zps3eb944d1.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  84.7 KB
Got the intake worked out, k&n kit for a 2010 Camaro, cut a section out for the inline style MAF. Had to buy a 4" coupler to attach the filter side of the MAF to the intake, got it off ebay, spectra brand $20.
Name:  IMG_3700_zps9097dc8d.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  96.5 KB
Alternator clearance once all wired up
Name:  IMG_3701_zpsb9457d75.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  95.8 KB
175 amp in line fuse pulled from a 96-04 s10 blazer at u-pull-it, mounted to the inner fender well near the battery
Name:  IMG_3704_zps5b227e6c.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  107.7 KB
ECM, fuel pump and relays for the fans along with the speartech provided fuse panel mounted up behind the battery
Name:  IMG_3703_zps53ed3a99.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  90.0 KB
Side shot
Old 04-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Swap looks like its coming along. If you are looking to clean up the engine bay you dont have to run the wires to the alt if you get a self exciting regulator installed which is about 40 bucks. All that will going to the alt will be the power and neg wire...

Zak
Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Name:  IMG_3705_zps3522e94b.jpg
Views: 1761
Size:  100.2 KB
efans all wired up
Name:  IMG_3712_zpsc489ca2c.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  73.9 KB
Soldering the gas pedal plug, had to cut the wires going to it to get it through the firewall, only way we figured out to do it without making a huge freakin hole
Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

We almost got the tank in this weekend. The guy doing the swap has a plan to use AN fittings and flexible fuel line so I think all the fittings are available but we havent ordered them yet. I will keep you posted when we do, sorry I dont have a better answer right now..
I ended up getting another compression fitting for the supply side as well. I don't expect to have any trouble with either of them, but when I get the car back, I might modify the lines to a weld on or bulkhead type fitting.

XRP fittings through ANplumbing.com

I used your CAI as inspiration for mine. I ended up with Spectre pipes and couplers and used the factory MAF tube as the Spectre one didn't fit. Got the Spectra air filter as well. Looks exactly like one of the name brand ones too, but only a hell of a lot cheaper. I think I'm into the CAI for a total of $70 w/o the Spectre MAF adapter.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

I ended up getting another compression fitting for the supply side as well. I don't expect to have any trouble with either of them, but when I get the car back, I might modify the lines to a weld on or bulkhead type fitting.

XRP fittings through ANplumbing.com
Cool, I do remember him planning on using a compression fitting on the hard line along the frame rail (engine supply) so that an AN fitting could be attached to it. So your saying your doing compression fitting on the tank side as well? Should work fine I would think
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Cool, I do remember him planning on using a compression fitting on the hard line along the frame rail (engine supply) so that an AN fitting could be attached to it. So your saying your doing compression fitting on the tank side as well? Should work fine I would think
Yeah, using the XRP fittings on the supply and return for the tank. No one makes a 5/8 SAE 45* flare to -6AN, so they got it plumbed up and said it seats good. Haven't run the fuel pump yet, but I don't expect there to be problems.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Name:  IMG_3718_zps1d2f1e25.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  100.4 KB
Spectra factory replacement fuel tank PN: GM32BFI, set up for fuel injection. Going to swap out the fuel pump it came with with the replacement ac delco PN: EP381 unit. We've heard the fuel pump that comes with the spectra tank is weak and tends to fail prematurely
Name:  IMG_3719_zps4a8c7eb1.jpg
Views: 1789
Size:  122.9 KB
out
Name:  IMG_3720_zps78448d0b.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  78.2 KB
close up, definitely not an ac delco unit
Name:  IMG_3726_zps8b52f2f8.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  93.3 KB
no way to get the fuel line off so it had to be cut
Name:  IMG_3727_zps05747b1c.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  104.2 KB
pick up filter pulls off from the bottom
Name:  IMG_3728_zpsb3fc8018.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  78.2 KB
swapping out the bottom rubber with the one with the ac delco unit
Name:  IMG_3732_zpse16570de.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  97.9 KB
ac delco ep 381 installed, new hose and clips included, more pics to follow tomorrow..
Old 04-30-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

efans all wired up

Soldering the gas pedal plug, had to cut the wires going to it to get it through the firewall, only way we figured out to do it without making a huge freakin hole
I had the same issue, but I de-pinned the connector, took about 3 minutes slipped the wires through a 1/4 inch hole and re-pinned the connector. Electrical components are like fluid components the least amount of connections and solder joints the less chance of chasing leaks or electrical gremlins down the road. Don't kick yourself too hard for chopping up and soldering on that nice Speartech harness.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lizeec
I had the same issue, but I de-pinned the connector, took about 3 minutes slipped the wires through a 1/4 inch hole and re-pinned the connector. Electrical components are like fluid components the least amount of connections and solder joints the less chance of chasing leaks or electrical gremlins down the road. Don't kick yourself too hard for chopping up and soldering on that nice Speartech harness.
Yeah I hated to do that but we couldn't figure out how to de-pin the pedal plug. We did de-pin the 4 fuse block and the obd II plug though.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey if you swapping over a G8 motor - checkout the G8 board - there are guys dropping LSA blowers on there cars for around 3-4k and getting stupid good numbers!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:47 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the kind comments, its been a project for sure. Let me see what other pics I can find of the car. It was restored so long ago, I'll round up some for ya. The old motor/tranny combo was good. It had been in the car 10+ years even though we hadn't driven it a ton. Had oil leaks, needed new headers, needed a water pump, alternator wasnt charging like it should and we had never hooked the A/C up (Needed a new compressor). We priced a serpintine belt set up to take care of all of this and knew we would one day also want to do fuel injection. Both of those were close to the cost of a complete take out motor so we decided to go that route instead. Just wanted some new technology and better mpg's to boot.

I agree on the gear swap, were gonna see how it does. Shoulda planned a little better because we just put the 3.73's in when the 700r4 went in 6 or 7 years ago... It ought to do some nice burn outs though

Were keeping DOD at this point, I will reasearch it though. Maybe something to consider deleting down the road. Thanks for the heads up, I hadnt heard that..

Thanks for the AlenGroveComponents link, I'll check it out.

Thanks man, hope we can keep it as planned!
a little warning - oil pan may be to small to allow DOD to operate
could end up starving oil pump
doing same swap but with a complete DOD delete
there are a lot of threads out there about DOD delete
go to LS2 forums for a start

Last edited by sfiore; 05-03-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: More information
Old 05-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

The stock L76 oil pump is a high volume pump. One of the reasons the stock oil pan is so large. A lot of oil is in circulation for DOD engines and may not return to the sump in a timely fashion . With that smaller pan not enough oil in reserve to maintain a sufficient volume for pump pick up.
the person on the LS2 forum is HSV-GTS-300
He has an excellent thread on L76 engine and is invaluable for swaps

Last edited by sfiore; 05-03-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sfiore
The stock L76 oil pump is a high volume pump. One of the reasons the stock oil pan is so large. A lot of oil is in circulation for DOD engines and may not return to the sump in a timely fashion . With that smaller pan not enough oil in reserve to maintain a sufficient volume for pump pick up.
the person on the LS2 forum is HSV-GTS-300
He has an excellent thread on L76 engine and is invaluable for swaps
I'll look into that thread, others have mentioned this concern to me before. I spoke with mast motorsports the manufacturers of the oil pan and they say it will be fine. They have several motors running high volume oil pumps on high HP engines and have had no issues. Still me worries though...
Old 05-04-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back to the fuel tank for a moment. Is there anything in the way of baffles around the fuel pickup? Just wondering about going around corners and getting fuel starvation with a low tank.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Back to the fuel tank for a moment. Is there anything in the way of baffles around the fuel pickup? Just wondering about going around corners and getting fuel starvation with a low tank.
I have the same tank in my Firebird. According to Spectra, they have updated the fuel bowl to prevent the starvation problem that was occurring when the fuel level in the tank was low. They didn't give specifics, but in my emails with them, they have been pretty responsive. That being said, it did take a little probing with their tech to finally figure out that the fuel pump that was included was basically a Chinese knock-off of the Delco pump. I purchased the Delco unit and had it swapped in. The one that came with it will be a back up pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 Camaro G8/6L80e Swap *Build Thread*