Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 6.2 lt1 swap info?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any 6.2 lt1 swap info?

Found a 2014 camaro pull out with manual transmission. Called thinking it was a ls3 but turns out it's the lt1. Though the lt1 looks like it has huge potential Think I would prefer the ls3, nervous about running into expensive stumbling blocks. Any info would be great.

From what I see already no current headers will work since they moved valves around, manifolds are tight to block though.

No ps pump, don't like that,

Direct injection. Not sure on that. Might be as simple as a normal fuel pump feeding the cam driven pump.

Saw on utube where spear tech had one running on stand so defiantly possible.

Oil pan looks bulky up front, I assume you can't interchange it with ls pan? Might have to build car around pan.

Mounts not sure if ls swap mounts will work.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2014 camaro = LS3
2014 corvette = LT1
Old 02-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Camaro probably won't have the "new" LT engines until the next generation hits.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if it is the new LT1, I don't think I'd jump on it. The LS stuff is pretty common now, making parts cheaper (like the 350). A brand new engine might bolt in with some fabricating....but like you said, headers, etc....there's no telling what you might need that you can't find. Fuse boxes and modules, pigtails, brackets, pulleys....I have been piecing together my LS2 build for some time now, tracking down little odds and ends...I can't imagine the trouble you'd have to go through to do that on a motor no one has even really seen yet. You might have to go to the dealership to get parts...and in that case you might as well bring an arm, a leg, and your first born to the register.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by superdave84
Even if it is the new LT1, I don't think I'd jump on it. The LS stuff is pretty common now, making parts cheaper (like the 350). A brand new engine might bolt in with some fabricating....but like you said, headers, etc....there's no telling what you might need that you can't find. Fuse boxes and modules, pigtails, brackets, pulleys....I have been piecing together my LS2 build for some time now, tracking down little odds and ends...I can't imagine the trouble you'd have to go through to do that on a motor no one has even really seen yet. You might have to go to the dealership to get parts...and in that case you might as well bring an arm, a leg, and your first born to the register.
Where as a lot of this is true, I don't tjink I would totally dismiss the new engine. Sure there will be obstacles, and with that comes cost, but there is something about having the latest technology under the hood. It will take some fabrication skills, and the way it gets done may not be the best or easiest way, but that's to be expected when blazing a new trail where nobodys gone before. There was a time when the LS1was considered almost impossible to swap into a car that wasn't designed for it. Believe me, I know all too well the problems you run into, having done my first swap in 2000. It was a 3 month endeavor that did send me to the dealer on several occasions, and some parts were hard to get, but I did it without all the help of internet forums like this one. All I had was a wiring diagram from the library and a GM factory service manual that was given to me by a really nice guy I barely knew that had just finished a swap into a street rod. So I say if someone comes across one, don't be like most of the population and fear the unknown, embrace it because sombody has to do it and someone will, and its cool to be able to look back and say you were one of the first to do it. Sort of like looking back at your girlfriend in high school and thinking, yeah, I was the first one to hit it!

Last edited by ls1nova71; 02-14-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Yes he said it was a lt1 out of a 2014 Camaro with a t56 trans and 2000 miles on it. Includes everything but PCM and harness. He bought it to put in his 5.3 silverado and figured out it wasn't a 6.0 type of swap. The camaro didn't come with the lt1 and the lt1 corvette didn't come with a six speed t56 from what I understand, sounds like it might be pieced together. I'll get pics and find out more about it this weekend, it's about 4 hours away.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Where as a lot of this is true, I don't tjink I would totally dismiss the new engine. Sure there will be obstacles, and with that comes cost, but there is something about having the latest technology under the hood. It will take some fabrication skills, and the way it gets done may not be the best or easiest way, but that's to be expected when blazing a new trail where nobodys gone before. There was a time when the LS1was considered almost impossible to swap into a car that wasn't designed for it. Believe me, I know all too well the problems you run into, having done my first swap in 2000. It was a 3 month endeavor that did send me to the dealer on several occasions, and some parts were hard to get, but I did it without all the help of internet forums like this one. All I had was a wiring diagram from the library and a GM factory service manual that was given to me by a really nice guy I barely knew that had just finished a swap into a street rod. So I say if someone comes across one, don't be like most of the population and fear the unknown, embrace it because sombody has to do it and someone will, and its cool to be able to look back and say you were one of the first to do it. Sort of like looking back at your girlfriend in high school and thinking, yeah, I was the first one to hit it!
Oh I don't mean he (or anyone) should DISMISS the engine.....but personally I would wait a year before I bought one. I'm all for the pioneers going out and doing it first, just not ME. I can't afford to take the hit on expensive trial and error.

Believe it or not I had the option to put a Viper V10 in my Impala, but I chose the LS engine family instead because I knew it would be cheaper and easier to find parts. The Viper Engine and auto trans (out of the SRT truck) was only $3500, and I still passed on it....even though it would have been awesome.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sum guy
Yes he said it was a lt1 out of a 2014 Camaro with a t56 trans and 2000 miles on it. Includes everything but PCM and harness. He bought it to put in his 5.3 silverado and figured out it wasn't a 6.0 type of swap. The camaro didn't come with the lt1 and the lt1 corvette didn't come with a six speed t56 from what I understand, sounds like it might be pieced together. I'll get pics and find out more about it this weekend, it's about 4 hours away.
It sounds a bit like he doesn't know what he is talking about. He is telling you that despite it being this early into that engine's availability, someone somehow got an LT1 to run in a camaro (which for some reason had a t56 in it) and is already selling it? An LT1 would be way too expensive to waste on something like a silverado anyway. $50 says it's an aluminum 5.3 someone stuck an ls3 intake on.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuckd71
It sounds a bit like he doesn't know what he is talking about. He is telling you that despite it being this early into that engine's availability, someone somehow got an LT1 to run in a camaro (which for some reason had a t56 in it) and is already selling it? An LT1 would be way too expensive to waste on something like a silverado anyway. $50 says it's an aluminum 5.3 someone stuck an ls3 intake on.

Lol I would hate to drive that far to find a 5.3. He didn't say it was swapped into a camaro just mis communication on what it came out of. After talking to him he apparently has a hook up at a wrecking yard and buys and sells lots of ls stuff, think the silverado was the story he chose as alternative to saying he is trying to make a buck. Idk what will come of all this, if it is what he says it is. I need to decide to pull the trigger or not.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Have him send you a picture and post it here. We can tell right away which engine family it is
Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Incredibly unlikely some rando at a wrecking yard happened upon a new vette that had been wrecked. That motor would be gone before the wrecked car could make it onto the flatbed. If it is what he says it is it would have sold in the time it took you to make the first post. Now I'm curious to see what it ends up being. At this point a transverse 6 from an old pontiac wouldn't surprise me (which is exactly what the guy down the street tried to tell me was a 'new corvette motor' he had put into his car).
Old 02-16-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
At this point a transverse 6 from an old pontiac wouldn't surprise me (which is exactly what the guy down the street tried to tell me was a 'new corvette motor' he had put into his car).
In what year? 1954???
Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last year actually, and it was some pontiac sedan he was showing me. The car was completely stock but didn't run. Guy was clearly mentally unstable to the point that I felt uncomfortable being around him. He really seemed to believe what he was saying, about the car and all the other crap he was saying. Turns out he was 40 or something and lived at home with his mom. Maybe he's learned how to work a computer and is parting out his car.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have swapped the gen v lt1 in my 70 Chevelle. It is a beast and I love it, yes u will have to fab a few parts but it's sure pretty when u are done.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Igaragellc
I have swapped the gen v lt1 in my 70 Chevelle. It is a beast and I love it, yes u will have to fab a few parts but it's sure pretty when u are done.
How is the off idle throttle response? Can you compare it to the 6.2L LS3?

Quick Reply: Any 6.2 lt1 swap info?