Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting a Porsche Boxster in Cali

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a Porsche Boxster in Cali

Hello everyone!

Right now I'm mulling over the idea of a Porsche Boxster to LS3 conversion and I'm trying to see if it's feasible or even legal to do it in Cali. I've been reading up online and it looks like engine swaps are a big no no in my home state.

From what I've read on Renegade Hybrids and the posts on here about the conversion it looks like the way to go is buy a Boxster S with a blown motor for 3-4k and find a salvage LS3 though I can't seem to find a used one for under 4k.

So is this just a pipe dream? And if it's not, will I even be able to Smog it in CA? The DMV website has a list of no nos as long as my arm and I can't seem to make heads or tails of them.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd call Renegade Hybrids direct, they've got a lot more experience and should be very helpful. I've talked to and E-mailed them about various items on my 996 C4s swap. very friendly and helpful.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 PM

I sent an email out to them and am hoping to hear back soon. I've been watching your build progress Fierofly and I'm definitely eager to see the completed car!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'd start with Renegade. Their site states that the firewall requires modification, but they're the only ones that have done the LSx, to my knowlege. I don't know that they've done a California legal conversion, but they will surely advise you. There's a guy that posted a V8 Boxster conversion on this site, however he uses an Audi V8.

Good luck, and do let us know what you find out. Though I have a 914/LS1 conversion, the Boxster is very appealing.

Andy1
Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

You'll have a lot of hoops to jump through, but I think you could do it.

To get it initially certified:

- You'll have to get the VIN reissued by the DMV after the swap.

- Make sure the LS3 is bone, bone stock and retains all original emissions equipment.

- This obviously won't be an issue with the LS3 in an older Boxster, but the model year of the engine must be newer than the model year of the host car.

- If the host Boxster was originally a 50-state CA car (shock tower emissions sticker states "certified for sale in California and the U.S.") then the LS3 has to come out of a CA car too...so find a 49-state host Boxster.

- All OBDII sensors and the CEL must be hooked up and fully operational (You could probably get around this one with the ref as long as you tune it to report sensors as ready)

As far as I know, moving to midengine from front engine shouldn't interfere with any emissions crap, so it shouldn't be an issue. However, be warned that the BAR whines that "Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine–chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)." This seems to exist to preclude heavy-duty to light-duty swaps, but you never know what kind of bullshit interpretation you'll get from your friendly local smog ref.

Although it may seem like a good idea, I wouldn't necessarily suggest calling the ref with questions, because their official line is "Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration." They will do nothing but stonewall you until they're forced to comply when you come to get it certified.

Last edited by fruitsalad; 02-24-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 PM

I remember reading that they require you to use the host car's gas tank as well. Why, I don't know.

How do these rules apply to a brand new engine that has not been put into a car before?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Apollofrost
I remember reading that they require you to use the host car's gas tank as well. Why, I don't know.

How do these rules apply to a brand new engine that has not been put into a car before?
That's probably because they want to make sure all the EVAP equipment is in place, as opposed to you buying an aftermarket gas tank without all the fittings.

I'm not sure how they classify crate motors. Maybe GM gives them a model year designation or would sell it to you as a "2013 Camaro SS Engine" for BAR purposes? If they sell the crate motor without all the emissions equipment from a car of that year, which I'm assuming is what they do, you'd have to buy it separately and put it on for the ref inspection.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The E-rod is generally a pretty safe way to go. 50 state legal. You have to use the Cat's that is comes with but you can modify them. Just have to maintain the same distance from the motor.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother in Cali. Wayy too much regulation. There are too many compromises to be made on a swap like that and I can see this ending up as an abandoned project. OR you could buy a piece of property in Montana and register it there. No property tax on it anyway.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Montana is a great option if you can afford to maintain registration there and if you won't be driving the car every day, thus attracting attention from local cops for your permanent out-of-state plates.

There are attorneys who specialize in maintaining Montana registration for exotic car owners who don't want to pay 9% sales tax on $400,000 cars.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 AM

Unfortunately Montana is becoming less and less of an option. The golden state has a program for reporting out of state registration violators.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Finding a salvage boxster for 4 k is possible.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Does anyone know how the BAR inspection thing works? Is that a one time thing or do you have to go back to them as part of the periodic smog checks?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

The BAR ref does a one-time certification, after which you go to normal biennial smog checks.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:26 AM

It's looking like the best way to do this is to register it as a kit car and go for that lovely SB100 registration. I might be talking out of my behind but if I can make the car "Not look like the original model" it can be registered as a kit car. 500 kit cars per year get 1960 smog registration.

Though that raises a question. If I eventually want to turbo or supercharge it are CARB stickers engine dependent or car model dependent?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Certain EO numbers follow car model and engine type and others follow just a general model year range. I'm not really sure what they would do for a kit car.

For blowers there are EOs like "1999-2002 GM Mid-size trucks/SUV LS1 w/charge cooler 4.8/5.3/6.0 L " (that's directly from the EO database) so I'm assuming it would be legal if you were to use the one that's EO'd for the engine you have in your kit.

Turbos have a few EOs too but it looks like the only GM approved model is an STS kit, .

Last edited by fruitsalad; 02-28-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Converting a Porsche Boxster in Cali