Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34

When I showed up at my friends house with my new-to-me 5 speed '95 525i the first time, he laughed and said, "who are you, Gordan Gecko?" and then started referring to the car as "Wall Street". In that spirit of excess, I intend to build this car. I'm swapping an L59 (iron block 5.3L LSX motor), T56 (GTO 6 speed trans) and a pair of turbos.

The L59 was chosen over the lighter LS1 for it's low price and robustness. My power goal is 700 hp to the wheels with a fat powerband. The Aluminum LS motors are prone to self destruction at the power level without being built where the iron block motors hold impossible amounts of power in stock form. (http://tinyurl.com/Truckin-Article)

So far the M50 and trans are out, and I have sectioned the cross members. I bought a mock up foam block for this project which has been super helpful already. I need to find a rack to swap in to replace the steering box and possibly convert the brake booster to a hydroboost setup as it looks like it is going to be in the way. More to come.

PICTURES
http://imgur.com/a/eRYpL
Old 03-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a fun project, twins are going to make it insane!! In for watching progress
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Teching In

nice im in the middle of the same swap.

What are you planning for the oil pan?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Teching In

for the rack I used on out of a caviler. Still some issues with the steering linkage.

I got some fiero tierod ends but they might be a hair long.

I switched to hydroboost out of an astro van
Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Teching In

I am running a GTO oil pan and I just cut out the cross members with intent to weld new ones in.

I ditched the GTO shifter and bought a Camaro one to get the motor and trans back about 3" further. It's close to the firewall and trans tunnel now, but will allow for much more space under the hood for the turbos and plumbing. I ordered a fast ratio rack for a Fox Body Mustang that I am going to work in there somehow. I was going to probably do spherical end links for the tie rod ends.

I also had to remove the brake booster as it was hitting the head and so I bought a Mustang hydrobooster that I am going to replace it with. The ABS motor will also have to be relocated. I spent most of the last few days researching so not much progress otherwise. http://imgur.com/a/eRYpL
Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

This is going to be sweet. Wall Street. LOOOL.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Teching In

I finished up the the trans mount version 1.0. and started in on the cross member. Motor mounts should be sketched out tonight. I'm going to get more metal today.
http://imgur.com/a/eRYpL#EIu1V3B
Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GaryGarys
I am running a GTO oil pan and I just cut out the cross members with intent to weld new ones in.

I ditched the GTO shifter and bought a Camaro one to get the motor and trans back about 3" further. It's close to the firewall and trans tunnel now, but will allow for much more space under the hood for the turbos and plumbing. I ordered a fast ratio rack for a Fox Body Mustang that I am going to work in there somehow. I was going to probably do spherical end links for the tie rod ends.

I also had to remove the brake booster as it was hitting the head and so I bought a Mustang hydrobooster that I am going to replace it with. The ABS motor will also have to be relocated. I spent most of the last few days researching so not much progress otherwise. http://imgur.com/a/eRYpL

The truck pan clears the front crossmember. I went with a hydroboost from an astrovan. Ditching the ABS

Its tough to get the rack up high enough to make the bump steer not terrible.

They other option is to the bottom side of the knuckle if you have big enough wheels but ARB starts to get in the way too.

Also when you go to mount the rack keep in mind the steering shaft is on a rag joint and telescopes. I added another shaft that telescopes so it adds too many Degrees of freedom into the shaft. Im still sorting this easiest would be to weld up one of the telescoping parts and maybe add a busing to the column shaft. If you need to see anything on my let me know I can take pics.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Teching In

New Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/eRYpL

I tried a Fox Body Mustang rack as I had one accessible, the mounting points are huge and there was no way it was going to work. I bought a Mk IV Jetta rack and that is working out. It's as high, and as far forward as I could get it without having to modify the GTO oil pan. I don't think bump steer is going to be an issue with its current location. It was much wider than the BMW linkage so I had to section the outer tie rod ends. Also, the VW ball joints are larger so I had to ream out the mounting points on the car.

Next, I reinforced the places on the cross member where the rack mounts so I would have solid metal square to the rack.

The rag joint is a modified Mark IV Jetta one. If i did this over I would have used a Mark III Jetta rack as they have a boot that covers the shaft whereas the IV has a rubber gasket and the entire unit is behind the firewall. I welded bottom half of the BMW slip shaft to the top of the Jetta shaft after much measuring. I don't know how the Jetta bearing comes apart so I just submerged it in water while I welded the slip shaft so I wouldn't melt it. Then I shortened the VW slip joint by disassembling it and cutting crimping etc.

Next I made a bracket to mount the bearing to the frame rail. I cut all tabs and crap off the rails for this. The piece pictured was version 1, I am doing it over with slightly thicker metal and moving it forward a few mm as after I got the rack all mounted up it was a bit off.

I boxed the cross member and welded in a piece of 1" X 3". This is mostly finished now but I didn't picture it yet.

I bought a 03 Cobra booster and Master and will be making a new firewall bracket to mount that up.

More updates soon, I just got accessory brackets in and a bunch of other parts.

Last edited by GaryGarys; 04-23-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Been away for a while and havent been updating.

With the help of Geoff from Full Race via Dave from F.A.S.T of West Chester, I decided on going single turbo with a 82mm Borg Warner S400
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-qv5f6ivl.jpg
Old 11-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Great build! Thanks for posting!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-1sd8uefl.jpg Name:  sH9eN6Kl.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  63.7 KBName:  txlXdW3l.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  69.4 KB Name:  sjbcwjSl.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  63.6 KB Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-kre9xhfl.jpg Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-finl04bl.jpg Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-pyajkj4l.jpgWall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-3yepq6xl.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-rvf5d2bl.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-iorpixml.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-rs3gmcql.jpg
Old 08-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Car is running and driving now. I did a street tune, will post numbers whenever I make it to the dyno. Working out odds and ends now, but for the most part it is together.

Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-k4xdmbm.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-tpau1b4.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-nypotci.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-ztuu7ve.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-fswjs8r.jpg
This is a bluetooth to serial adapter I put in the computer so I don't have to plug the computer in.
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-op1sx0z.jpg

I mounted everything in the original computer box, shown here are the fan controller, relays and stuff
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-xa6dtww.jpg

So many wires
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-z14m5p6.jpg

Gauge pod for the wideband and boost control ****
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-u3cegr1.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-ffa3gwm.jpg
Flocked and installed
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-ymcyhyi.jpg

Fabbed up a driveshaft loop
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-gi0goym.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-elg57sw.jpg

I wanted to retain the low coolant overflow level sensor so I made a fitting for the BMW gauge
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-vj7si8h.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-hssytsy.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-erdfm2i.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-j92xqyg.jpg

Gold heat shield on the inner fender
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-ov8yxdu.jpg

4" all the way back
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-bqjp9mn.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-3zmvi3i.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-cklzwco.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-pecdisa.jpg

I was melting the connectors on the coil packs so I made a heat shield for that side
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-kaqpoev.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-pp15c9v.jpg

Most importantly
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-ourx4ws.jpg
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-igd0ddu.jpg

Paint is up next
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-qgiczhh.jpg

and a bluetooth reworking of this guy
Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34-pgtoprs.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (11-17-2021)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Some nice work here! Confused though --- iron block 5.3L = 553i?
Old 08-05-2018, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Some nice work here! Confused though --- iron block 5.3L = 553i?
I may have forgot to put it in the thread, I switched to a LS1 bottom end, so it’s an aluminum 5.7 now hence the 557i
Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 AM
TECH Junkie

I reckon you decided the alum block would be stout enough after all. Nice to not have that additional 75-85 lbs. on the front end -- helps offset all the boost gear.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice build!!

If im not mistaken the LS1 block is nearly a full 100lbs lighter than an iron block. I’ll have to try to find where someone weighed them back to back
Old 08-06-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

After weighing them myself and seeing how little difference there was between alum 9.2” LS and a cast iron 8.2” Ford - I can’t see 100 lb diff between iron and alum LS blocks.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 08-06-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I've heard it's about 85# difference between LS cast iron and LS aluminum blocks. LS cast iron blocks are bigger and bulkier than Ford 5.0 blocks
Old 08-06-2018, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 504 Likes on 328 Posts

It's not an M5. It's a GM5.

Enjoying the build!!

Quick Reply: Wall Street: Twin Turbo LS Powered E34