Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E34 touring LQ4 4L80e swap With a Sloppy turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

god a video of the car on the way to breakfast.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Swapped in a Mark viii / Cobra ford 8.8 into my e34 subframe. Its almost like it was meant to fit.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:36 PM
AOG
Teching In

What's up with those axle shafts? Do those match up with the BMW splines? I've got an iron-case 2015 GT350 8.8 that's going in my E34 sedan soon and I imagine that I'll have to probably cut up that trailing-arm subframe more than you did. I was hoping that the Porsche 930 style socket-head cap screw CV axles would make it easier. If those are splined to the axle shafts, that would make it much easier. Thanks man, I've been tuned into your project for a long time and it's been an inspiration for me on my slow-moving project.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:43 AM
Teching In

it depends on your car. The V8 Cars had 930 cvs in them the i6 cars did not. I pulled some 930 parts off a car in the yard and freshened up the cvs. the wheel hubs are the same so you just need to swap the inner flange on the trailing arm. Then you can buy 930 axles in a like 1/2 increments. The stub axles on the diff are from the driveshaft shop and are the most expensive part of the whole adventure.

If you go to pull them you will need a 36mm socket and an impact. Be ready to cut off bolt heads too as the socket head cap screws like to strip on removal.

I did remake the rear bracket as the first one broke.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:57 AM
Teching In

I also added a boost pig

Old 05-01-2020, 04:26 PM
AOG
Teching In

LOL, what's the boost limit on that pig? Thanks for the info. Until I saw your post I didn't know just how mix/matchable the 930 axles were. After a bit of research I found Pacific Customs sells EMPI axles (complete with the joints) in incremental lengths, as you said. Also, Sway-A-Way sells just the splined axles for $300 or so (no joints).

I have a late-model (2015 maybe?) GT500 iron case 8.8 IRS. I'll have to do something quite different to mount it, but my car is totally stripped down to nothing at the moment. I'm thinking of building a separate subframe that divorces the diff from the rear suspension. The 8.8 that I have has two wide ears on the pinion side that look like they come very close to where the rear seat belt mounts are in the floorpan.

Looking at The Driveshaft Shop online, they have lots of options for BMW's and Mustangs and I think I found the stub axles you used for $262 each. The mustang cv kits they have already have the stub axles included for the diff side, but the wheel side is the normal spline you'd see going into a hub. When I get to it, I'd like to pull apart the rear hub and flange and take measurements. Maybe there is a hub out there that I can swap on that has the right bearing O.D. that will press into the knuckle? I'm thinking this will remove the unknown of "what kind of torque can the stock BMW wheel splines handle?" and put me into a known category "1000hp axle kit".
Old 05-23-2020, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AOG
LOL, what's the boost limit on that pig? Thanks for the info. Until I saw your post I didn't know just how mix/matchable the 930 axles were. After a bit of research I found Pacific Customs sells EMPI axles (complete with the joints) in incremental lengths, as you said. Also, Sway-A-Way sells just the splined axles for $300 or so (no joints).

I have a late-model (2015 maybe?) GT500 iron case 8.8 IRS. I'll have to do something quite different to mount it, but my car is totally stripped down to nothing at the moment. I'm thinking of building a separate subframe that divorces the diff from the rear suspension. The 8.8 that I have has two wide ears on the pinion side that look like they come very close to where the rear seat belt mounts are in the floorpan.

Looking at The Driveshaft Shop online, they have lots of options for BMW's and Mustangs and I think I found the stub axles you used for $262 each. The mustang cv kits they have already have the stub axles included for the diff side, but the wheel side is the normal spline you'd see going into a hub. When I get to it, I'd like to pull apart the rear hub and flange and take measurements. Maybe there is a hub out there that I can swap on that has the right bearing O.D. that will press into the knuckle? I'm thinking this will remove the unknown of "what kind of torque can the stock BMW wheel splines handle?" and put me into a known category "1000hp axle kit".

here are the stubs I used. https://www.driveshaftshop.com/domes...spline-is-300m

No idea on the gt500 I would not divorce it from the subframe. You wont have any mounting points and and flex between the two systems will add to the misalignment. Mounting to the subframe lets you drop it out of the car and have way easier access to weld everything you can even use some of the stock mounting points.

I have no idea on the wheel hubs. If you start changing things you are going to be messing up brakes wheel patterns ect. Realoem is probably useful for bearing sizes and what not.

Quick Reply: E34 touring LQ4 4L80e swap With a Sloppy turbo kit