Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 RSZ28 Camaro 5.3 Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great progress, keep it up! That 6 week lead time isn't so bad when you get to concentrate on the other elements of the car.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks KRW.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Great progress, keep it up! That 6 week lead time isn't so bad when you get to concentrate on the other elements of the car.
Bud, I agree and will take the time to tackle a couple things. Its just close to getting it started and now its a set time, thats longer than I expected. Im just being impatient even though its taking me 8 months to get here.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

So after finding out some bad things on a specific company that I had ordered my harness from, I reconsidered my options and went a different route. I was able to cancel my order and then order the one I originally had planned on.

A little more expensive but second to none.

Its already done just waiting on a couple of the extra things to finish up before it gets shipped out.

And a little teaser photo because whats an update without photos?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Super excited today. Went down to Rywire to pick up my harness. Very impressed by their costumer service and their attention to detail. They are next level. And they put out a very nice product. I went down and spoke with them and placed the order. In 2 weeks I have a 50+ email thread with questions/updates. I went in today and had them put next connections on my fans and now the harness is all mine! It will be installed and hopefully the car running next weekend (swamped at work.)

Full harness detail. Dont mind the gambling table.

Fuse Boxes

Harness + Fuse Boxes + Power Cable

Raychem detail shot. The best wrap you can get. EVen the boots are Raychem.

Even the grounds have a good protection/shrink wrap treatment.

Every connector is individually labelled.

Y split detail shot.

All new plugs. OEM crimping techniques and just the wire goodness.

Fuse box details. Setup to run both fans and 2 fuel pumps, even though only 1 fuel pump to begin with. Always have the future in consideration.

Even though I originally wanted to do it myself, I am beyond pleased with this product. The quality + attention + service are all second to none. Cant wait to get it installed and running. I will post before install/after install photos. Thanks for the harness Rywire!

Other updates: Ordered plugs, oil, katech tensioner pulley, spark plugs, spark plug wires, some fittings, a battery, and some other stuffs. I am planning on taking next friday off and doing a friday + saturday marathon session to get this thing wrapped up. SOOOOO CLOSE!

Last edited by Noahf; 08-06-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work on that harness.

Doug
Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love this build.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Awesome build so far!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys.

I am super excited about the harness. Its getting installed this weekend and hopefully it fires!

Quick teaser update:

Side exit exhaust ran. If its to loud, then we will run to the back

Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

^^ holy!

That's going to be sick!
Old 08-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Do you need those steam ports? I don't know what to do with mine.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Best harness ever.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That harness is a really nice piece, do you mind me asking what it set you back? Feel free to PM if desired.
Just almost to that point of deciding who to get to build mine.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

I know on my Camaro no muffler was too loud, one 20 inch bullet seems not bad but I think I will add one muffler at the back to keep it quieter at highway speeds.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The drone out of these engines is pretty horrid. I think its from the symmetrical ports but regardless no muffs behind an LS= biggerstonesthanme

Though cats and a decent muff ( i like the hooker aerochamber for LS stuff ) they arent bad and sound pretty sweet. But with an older build and no cats? We still use resonators as well as muffs for any street driven stuff or the drone at cruise speeds becomes overwhelmingly annoying, REAL fast.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cam
The drone out of these engines is pretty horrid. I think its from the symmetrical ports but regardless no muffs behind an LS= biggerstonesthanme

Though cats and a decent muff ( i like the hooker aerochamber for LS stuff ) they arent bad and sound pretty sweet. But with an older build and no cats? We still use resonators as well as muffs for any street driven stuff or the drone at cruise speeds becomes overwhelmingly annoying, REAL fast.
Believe it or not, turbos make excellent mufflers! The only thing between the exhaust ports and the exhaust exit is my turbo and it doesn't drone at all.

This build is incredible! It's also made me shy away from attempting a possible '70 Firebird LSX / Turbo build as seeing exactly what all is involved is overwhelming to me! I just don't posses the fab skills needed to do the job.

Keep up the incredible work, definitely subscribed to see the end product!!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Hey everybody, thanks!

cdub, I was going to block them off but after doing enough research on here (and yellowbullet) it appears that they are quite important. The corvette guys believe that the blocking of the back 2 parts (which happened when the ls6 came out) is part of the reason why there are so many corvettes with a #7 cylinder cracking. So just to be on the safe side I ran/plumbed all of them.

samuel I will pm you in a bit about what I paid.

silver/cam/jet I am a little worried about the exhaust but as Jet says the turbo should help reduce some of the crazy noise. If its unlivable when driving around, I will route it to the rear with a muffler.

Update: Did a bunch of work on it on Sunday/Monday but did not get to try to start it. Ran into a couple little hick ups, the primary one being an alternator mounting issue. When first measured with the truck accessories the alternator would fit, but now that I am using corvette acc the alternator is too long, and cant be mounted high (turbo manifold) or low (subframe) so once that gets figured out and ran, should be good to go. Looking for a small one now.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

After chasing the impossible its finally done! Well, barely. But still. Feels great to hear it fire and run for a few seconds. A bunch of parts ordered to get it sitting on its own wheels and some stuff to finish up the engine bay.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that is great work! Did you order a kit for the headers? I'm thinking about doing my own for the next build.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Man that is great work! Did you order a kit for the headers? I'm thinking about doing my own for the next build.
Thanks! No kit. I went over to http://www.coneeng.com/ and bought all the pieces we thought we would need for the build. Its similar to one of their kits but with a couple more bends.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Wow, amazing build. Everything looks incredible. BUT, that harness is a work of art. Its too bad it has to be covered up.

Quick Reply: 70 RSZ28 Camaro 5.3 Turbo Build