Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 monte carlo lm7 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 monte carlo lm7 swap

Hi guys.I am new on here. Over the summer my dad and I did a lq4/4l80e swap into his 1971 GMC truck. Awesome turnout. Plenty of power and reliability and far cooler than the worn out tired SBC we removed. I had this idea first however. Henjust had more funds lol. A year ago I bought an 2003 5.3 liter lm7. I want to drop it in my 70 Monte project I've had since high school. I was in the army and used deployment money to build up a very badass big block but long story short unsold it and bought the lm7. Taxes the year I want to get the drivetrain closer to being in etc. My dad did not budget but I plan to... have to... so.. I think the lm7 intake mite clear the hood and I can change it for ls1 later. What I need it motor mounts. Headers. Relocation brackets for alternator. And a possible crossmember tho I've heard mynoriginal th400 one will adapt to a 4l60e. I can't afford wiring harness or the dakota digital gauges I want but id like to take the engine mounts, headers, oil pan, brackets etch on a budget. Can anyone help me find conversion parts to get me as far as possible for $1300 bucks? f body or cts v or truck pan... idk which will work. I just want my engine and trans in and then I can start to piece the rest together. Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Finally another Monte Carlo swap. I am in no way an expert but from what I've read so far I pretty sure you can't use a truck oil pan and also you can maybe use the truck manifolds or f-body (camaro/firebird) manifolds.

Take a look at the sticky's and look up user bczee and garys68 they a-body cars like ours and have some good info.

Do a lot of thread reading and searching and start making a list to meet your needs.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

The 1970-1972 Monte Carlos are basically long wheel base A-bodies. All the parts interchange. So for swap purposes, just follow the numerous A-Body swap threads. I would use the new Holley pan for best tie rod clearance.

Andrew
Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Thanks very much. Ive found alot of conversion parts over the weekend that will get this swap really moving. First gen Monte with ls power... master piece. Anyway... I was wondering, does the original th400 cross member work for a 4l60e? I've heard it does. Just a mount and relocation. Is this true?thnx

Quick Reply: 1970 monte carlo lm7 swap