Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did my dipstick hole go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did my dipstick hole go?

I have a 2004 GTO LS1 with a Fbody oil pan. The original GTO has the oil dipstick in the oil pan and the original fbody has the dipstick in the block. When you put a Fbody oil pan on a GTO engine you end up with no place for a dipstick. I see that there is a spot where the dipstick would normally go on the block, but would require drilling. My question in how do you go about drilling this out? I assume I have to buy a Fbody dipstick (since oil pan and windage tray are fbody and dipstick is based on this). I would like to know how to go about putting the hole in the block for the dipstick and confirm that I need to find a fbody dipstick. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No need to drill anything. It's a plug in the block. Easiest way to remove is to take the oil pan off and tap a screwdriver or something with a hammer to pop it out. If you already have the engine installed and can't remove the pan, I guess there are other ways to do it. I wouldn't want any shavings in my pan though, so personally I wouldn't drill it.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. Engine is rolling on an engine stand so very accessible and I have to correctly torque the oil pan anyways. I wouldn't have guessed to tap out a plug for where the dipstick should go, but I'll try to do that tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Teching In

You will need a new dipstick and tube as well. The GTO stuff won't work in the relocation. You should also be able to recover a little cash by selling that old pan on the classified ads here. (I did) Lots of swaps need that pan. The CTS-V dipstick works, and there are several aftermarket options. Good luck.

Blanchard

Quick Reply: Where did my dipstick hole go?