Coil overs are here! Double adjustable QA1
Old 05-04-2014, 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear suspension
Old 05-04-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn. That is some cool ****! Only thing more awesomer would be AWD!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:28 PM
FormerVendor

Front suspension
Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

This is awesome.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job man. I know what you mean by having it in your head. Every project I start I end up having to tell everybody "You'll have to wait and see". Good work.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great project. That engine should be plenty to make for a nice fun ride. and if not, stick a giant turbo to it! lol
Old 05-05-2014, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

Old 05-05-2014, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Really cool project!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Wow!!! Just picked up a 69 bug, wanted to do a mid engine ls as we'll. subscribed!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So cool, skateboard with sticky tires.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Looks like a sweet swap.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Very impressive! Always cool to see a unique project where EVERYTHING has to be thought through on your own. You must have spent a lot of nights thinking this thing through and it is starting to show.

What kind of work did you put into the suspension design? Did you do modeling or calculations on the geometry? I was noticing your rear arms look like they'd produce a fairly steep camber curve based on the frame vs. spindle separation distances, but it may just be the photos. Too much camber gain can be a problem for braking and acceleration. Did you make room for sway bars?

What spindles did you use front & rear? Are they also Cobalt parts?

Looks like you'll have plenty of room for a rumble seat out back now
Old 05-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Teching In

badass build!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is awesome! I have had a ton of bugs over the years and have wanted to do a mid engined LS in one for a while. Keep the updates coming!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Very impressive! Always cool to see a unique project where EVERYTHING has to be thought through on your own. You must have spent a lot of nights thinking this thing through and it is starting to show.

What kind of work did you put into the suspension design? Did you do modeling or calculations on the geometry? I was noticing your rear arms look like they'd produce a fairly steep camber curve based on the frame vs. spindle separation distances, but it may just be the photos. Too much camber gain can be a problem for braking and acceleration. Did you make room for sway bars?

What spindles did you use front & rear? Are they also Cobalt parts?

Looks like you'll have plenty of room for a rumble seat out back now
Yes I have spent what seems like more time with the designing of the thing, then actually building it. I did not put the dimensions through a program but it has all been drawn out on paper. Checked, the double checked, then triple checked. I did set the rear up with a more aggressive then normal camber change. But I did it for a reason. Based on the roll center and instant center of the car, it seems (on paper) that it will benefit traction in the turns. That is what I am after. I mean its not overkill to the point where I won't have traction going straight, but a pretty even setup. At full droop, it sits at 0 degrees, ride height is 2 degrees and at bump stop 3.5 degrees. This is over the 7 inches of travel it has which is going to get limited down the road.

As for sway bars, yes there is room for them. I am going to wait to put them in until I can drive it. I want to see how bad it rolls and which end of the car start sliding first. I am thinking I will only need one sway bar in the end. I mounted everything as low as possible, so my roll center is very low.

The front and rear spindles are from a 93 Miata. I chose them because I needed a car that had double wishbone suspension. Big brakes are easy to find for a good price. I also wanted a popular bolt pattern to make choosing wheels easy. My next quest is to find a good shop to build some custom axles. I don't think it will be too big of a deal. Just expensive...

Last edited by CBM Motorsports; 05-06-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks awesome, i wanna see some track videos when its done
Old 05-07-2014, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to see more detailed photos of your suspension setup. This looks like a great build. Check with www.driveshaftshop.com for axles.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

CBM - Thanks for sharing the added detail. I hope I didn't come across as critical; I was mostly curious about the process and just couldn't judge well from the photos, so I asked. I think what you're doing is just plain awesome and I'm jealous in a way that you are doing your suspension from scratch. Your camber rates don't sound off base; approximately 0.5deg/inch of travel overall and I assume a faster rate near ride. On my Nova I did the Gouldstrand mod on the front suspension and get about 2* change in camber over 5.5" of travel, though of course the curve isn't linear so I get more rate at ride height and compression than on drooop where the curve actually starts going the wrong way. I have an image of the curve and there is some decent discussion on camber rates here: http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/8...Guldstrand-Mod Of course as you have likely discovered this is only one piece of a very complicated puzzle.

It will be tough to determine your swaybar needs right off the bat, but I suspect you'll need them to help you tune things. Also if you want to have a more comfortable ride, you probably will select lighter spring rates which generally will require stiffer way bars for performance handling. Being able to dial in the under/oversteer is a huge benefit to adjustable sway-bars

I'm sure I'm just telling you stuff you already know or things I am wrong about that you know better than I do. Thanks for sharing the project for all of us to learn from!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

Bandit -

Keep your comments coming. It helps posting a build with pictures so that I can get new ideas from the readers. There are many people out there who know a lot more then me and if someone sees something funky, by all means, bring it up! All the picture posted before the coilover pictures had just a solid piece of metal in place of a coilover. So the ride height is a bit lower then it will be. It does have a higher camber ratio as the car approaches its bottom out point. I have to do some more welding under the fenders. So when I do, I will post more pictures of the arms and everything.

I like your Nova too. My last project car was a 70 Nova. It had an old school 383 that I built. Did 400hp to the wheels. Never took it to the strip though...

Thanks to everyone else for all the good comments!

Last edited by CBM Motorsports; 05-07-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 1970 Bug Mid Engine (engine build pg15)