Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 CRASH! Swaping 98 LS1- 94 LT1 any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LS1 CRASH! Swaping 98 LS1- 94 LT1 any Advice?

Hello To everyone. So my friend offered me his wrecked LS1. I have VIDEO/PICS Down Below of the ACCIDENT. He was ok.
So it runs good still and as far as i can tell everything is good even the radiator. possibly a Bent frame "we think." So he wants it gone now; for $1500. My A4 transmission on my 1994 Trans Am just went out and repairing it would cost somewhere near 1k; the price of me taking the transmission separately into the shop and installing it myself at home.

So i want to do a swap and i have been reading a lot on it. I want to swap out everything i can; Differential,transmission,front suspension, & Rear suspension. Essentially all the major mechanical componet's. I know i will need a corvette fuel PSi regulator and possibly a custom wiring harnes(Heard i can custom make one myself.) The guage cluster of a newer LS1 Trans Am as well. This donor car is a Camaro and i wish to maintain my T/A interior. I know the hood will have to be replaced with a WS.6 hood becuase the LS1 is a bit taller as well.

Dose anyone have any advice for me? Do's & Dont's; anything critical that i might over-look and end up having me punch wholes in my wall; i don't want to punch wholes in my wall, my mother will get mad at me. Any help is greatly appriciated as this will be my first ever atempt at a project of this size. Out of the last 5 cars i have owned 3 of them where F-bodies. 2 Lt1s and an M6 LS1; so i know my way around these cars.

Thank you all for your time. Have a nice day

HEARS THE CRASH

PICTURES

Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow, it's not often you have actual video of the wreck that makes a car an engine donor.... But what you're wanting to do is a pretty common swap on here. A search should bring up some build threads. I do know you will need the K member, so if that's bent as you suspect, you'll need to source one.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Wow, it's not often you have actual video of the wreck that makes a car an engine donor.... But what you're wanting to do is a pretty common swap on here. A search should bring up some build threads. I do know you will need the K member, so if that's bent as you suspect, you'll need to source one.
Than lsNova71, I did not think about that. Know I do thanks to you.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Where in CA are you?

Swap is pretty straight forward. Everything from the LS1 car bolts up. You'll need to modify the LS1 harness to plug into the 94 chassis and work. There are write ups on it. LS1 k member will bolt right in and you'll need to modify your stock trans crossmember by slotting it to bolt up to the LS trans. Either drivedhaft will work. Might need to make a intake set up to work with LS1 Since the LS1 Lid set up won't fit under stock hood. Pretty straight forward hardest part is modifying the harness. Also since you have a complete donor car swap the fuel lines so you don't have to use a regulator to connect it
Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Also you do not need the LS1 Cluster. When you can et it tuned they'll ajust the rpm value to work with the lt1 cluster. I used a wrecked 01 ss as a donor or my 96 Z28
Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 AM
Staging Lane

ochristiano im in nortern california(bay area.) Thanks for the info man i went ahead and got the LS1 guage cluster from a T/A for $20 today so i'am set.
You mentioned this, Can you elaberate for me just a little bit. Thx.

"you'll need to modify your stock trans crossmember by slotting it to bolt up to the LS trans."
Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a heads up, we can build you a 100% brand new 100% plug and play, not just plug and play to the engine.

Pretty sweet deal on the donor!

Bill
Old 05-18-2014, 04:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by marine2149
ochristiano im in nortern california(bay area.) Thanks for the info man i went ahead and got the LS1 guage cluster from a T/A for $20 today so i'am set.
You mentioned this, Can you elaberate for me just a little bit. Thx.

"you'll need to modify your stock trans crossmember by slotting it to bolt up to the LS trans."
The LS1/4L60E will sit approximately half.inch.more.forward than.the original LT1/4L60E did. A LS Crossmember will not.wotk.for to.this and you'll have to slot the holes on the LT1 crossmember to get it to bolt up.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oChristiano
The LS1/4L60E will sit approximately half.inch.more.forward than.the original LT1/4L60E did. A LS Crossmember will not.wotk.for to.this and you'll have to slot the holes on the LT1 crossmember to get it to bolt up.
ahh i see, thanks alot man. much appriciated.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

So this is for anyone willing to help.

Ive been looking into the fuel system and what i will have to do. Many say i need a Corvette FPR(Fuel psi regulator/fuel filter.) I know the LT1 has 3 lines including a return line and the LS1 has 2. How do i set up my fuel system? i have a complete donor car.

Another question is my OBD1 port that i have. How will i go about changing that out? do i just replace the port with my donors OBD 2 plug in port. I have not looked under there to inspect them. I guess it will all make sense once i start removing things and seeing how they work.

Thanks to all for the help i apprciate it.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

also you do not need a ram air hood for it to fit.. the stock hood fits just fine. I did this swap on a 94 formula
Old 05-26-2014, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info, others say it dose not fit but ill try and see. i might just keep my stock setup because it goes deep down and catched good cold air.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:49 AM
Staging Lane

Dose anyone have a part # for that corvette fuel filter/regulator that i need?

Quick Reply: LS1 CRASH! Swaping 98 LS1- 94 LT1 any Advice?