Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 camaro getting ready to dive in!!Need advice..

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 camaro getting ready to dive in!!Need advice..

Ok guys didn't think this day was going to happen but here we are..I guess i just cant leave things alone...
I want to put an ls1 t56 combo in my 68 camaro and need a little help on what parts i will need for the swap...I want to the basic install don't need any help with modification to the motor etc..Just need info on what i need exactly to put this motor in my camaro....

I just built a 383 stroker for my camaro that has never even been run in the car yet!! But somebody vandalized my 2000 z28 vert & i got to thinking what the heck for what its going to cost me to fix the 2000 i might as well just do the swap and sell off the 383 and whats left of the vert?The vert had a blown rear so it was parked then some dink decided they didnt like my car so the keyed it , popped all the tires and sliced the top for me...Nice ..Maybe girl problems not sure...
But my 2000 is a t56 car and i have everything from it.....

what would i need to buy for sure to make this happen?I know the wiring harness can be modified but im not sure how to do that yet..Or if its just easier to buy the painless kit..

any help is appreciated ..Btw i did use the search function and got tons of info but im ready to do this so i figured i might as well open a thread about it and go for it......
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 68 camaro getting ready to dive in!!Need advice..-002.jpg   68 camaro getting ready to dive in!!Need advice..-064.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pretty much use just about everything from the brakes, harness, etc. There is a lot of little mod work but once it is done the car would look a lot like it came from the factory that way....
Old 05-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

You'll need some small things here and there since you already have the big ticket items like the engine and trans.

If your 68 is auto, you'll need:
new brake/clutch pedal assy
master cylinder set up

Regardless if your 68 is auto/manual:
trans mount (american powertrain is where I got mine)
driveshaft (might be able to shorten the stock one, someone correct me?)
fuel tank for injection set up (tanks inc is what I went with)
fuel lines for fuel injection set up (make sure you get PTFE lined hoses or you'll be sorry)
fuel pump
wiring in fuel pump, but that's easy
longer shifter for the 68
modify the stock engine wiring from 2000 or buy a kit
engine management modification (program for rear end, tire size, and kill the chip key system)
DBW/DBC? If its DBC then you'll likely need a different cable for the 68, not sure though.
Rad hoses will need to be matched up somehow
Rad?
Power steering?

Also consider this...
what ratio is the rear end in your 68?
how is the clutch/flywheel on the 2000?
I had a problem with the stock heater core sitting against the pass side head so I had to pull it - will eventually go with vintage air system

This is just a start.. All I could think off the top of my head.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks , i guess i better just start getting some of that stuff ordered up..My 68 is a manual car ,Just had a muncie built for it too lol..shame really about the 2000 w/ 67k miles but what can ya do , i guess it was for a reason..My 68 will be nice when its done..I was thinking vintage air myself ..I want to just basically bypass the AC for the time being so i can get the motor in and running then i can fiddle with everything else.I am soo close to having the 68 done i want to drive it this summer ,so i don't want this to be down for a long time with the engine swap..
The rear gears in the 68 are 3:73
the 2000 was 3:42
2000 is drive by cable (im pretty sure 99% )
thanks for the sources on the parts..

I guess its time to start yanking the motor and trans from the 68 ...
Old 05-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

It's all doable rather quickly since you aren't taking the block apart etc. Depending on how much free time you have, this can be done in 3 or 4 weekends if you get all the right parts and don't run into any snags.

Feel free to PM as I'm finishing up a similar swap.. LSx with a TKO600 into a 68 Firebird. Mine was auto though so the added costs of clutch etc were harsh on the pocket.

Otherwise, shame or not, everything happens for reason I believe : )
Old 05-22-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Suggest you look into complete install kits.. like the Hooker, BRP, etc...
I always recommend that you try and stick with one vendor. Less trouble in the long run. If you have questions about the Hooker set up. Todd is a Hooker tech and will answer any questions on there set up.

But research some of the 1st gen Fbody and 3rd Gen Xbody (Nova) to get a better idea of what you need to completeyou swap..

BC
Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the BRP kit and everything lined up and went in smooth. The only downside to the BRP kit for the '69 Firebird, and I don't know if it will be the same for the '68 Camaro is that the autokraft pan won't work with the rear steer, but the LH8 pan seems to fit pretty good. You may run into issues if you lower it though, but that probably depends on a few things. I did the Spectra Premium EFI tank and replaced the provided fuel pump with the correct AC Delco pump (the one in the kit is a foreign knock-off). Really, you can see everything I had to purchase thus far to get it running in my build thread. Have fun!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would also recommend the new Holley pan (302-2)... has the room to clear most setups.

I have the 302-1 on my Nova and the 302-2 on my Chevelle. Pleased with the pans.

BC
Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

+1 on Holley stuff!

Quick Reply: 68 camaro getting ready to dive in!!Need advice..