Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change mechanic gauges to electric guages

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change mechanic gauges to electric guages

I have 1984 chevy silverado with 5.3L vortex with 4l60e tranny. I want to change the gauges to electric and put a tachometer also. Can this be done? Will I have to change the wiring?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Of course it can be done, not a big deal at all.

Choose the gauges you like the best. I think Autometer and Speedhut make the best parts. But other people have other opinions.

Most electric gauges have a 90* sweep. But Autometer and speedhut both have 270* sweep gauges. They are more expensive, though.

All of the gauge wiring will have to be changed, obviously. It's not very difficult, though, so don't let that scare you. Electric gauges will come with their own sensors that need to be installed in the engine. You can eliminate some factory sensors, but not all of them. Some gauge information (like coolant temp) is used by the ECU. It still needs to get that information. But other gauges (like oil pressure) do not connect to the '84 ECU, so you can throw it out.

Go to the Autometer web site, and download the gauge installation instructions. Then you'll know exactly what you're getting in to before spending money.

The tachometer is pretty simple. Just open up the Jegs or Summit Racing catalog and pick the one you like. Again, Autometer and Speedhut are the best, IMO.

If you're going to be replacing the dash panel and mounting the gauges there, consider also replacing the speedometer to match. The new GPS based speedometers are pretty nice, but not cheap.

Quick Reply: Change mechanic gauges to electric guages