Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsx swap, very odd prblem reluctor wheel maybe

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lsx swap, very odd prblem reluctor wheel maybe

So I've all but finished my swap, a 5.7 ls1 into a Toyota 100 series land-cruiser, everything is working, just have an engine issue that's got me baffled.
So cold the engine starts runs revs ect ect like it should, you let it get to a decent temperature give it a couple of decent revs(sometimes that's not even needed) and here it goes, developes a little bit of a miss, and as revs decrease it will stop running, you then wind it over again, i does not want to start, and has a clunk noise, its relatively easy to turn over, and NOT making metal, ive checked the filter and oil pan, and has not thrown any codes. let it sit for 2-5 minutes and its happy again, starts perfect ect, My first thought crank angle, I have swapped the sensor and put oscilloscope on it it is still giving a crank signal (although this may be corrupt), listen to the video whats your thoughts? the motor was in an impact damage before being removed, so does sound likely to have a crank reluctor wheel issue, that's only heat related (ie warps)
I'm going to just swap the engine with a another i have as i'm over it, but would love to know what others thoughts are don't let my crank reluctor wheel thought idea throw you tho.
Fuel pressure is a tad high 64-68 psi at the rail, i have swapped injectors coils and plugs, it will still make this tick noise with the ignition, and injectors unplugged. i used a scan tool to read the real time values on the ecu they were all good, and I've even disconnected the torque convertor to rule out the transmission.

this video is watching the crank angle trigger, if you listen past the bloody noisy thermo fan you will hear the noise

and this video is after it is warm and stopped, this noise will only stay for about 2-5 mins once cooled a tad, disappears completely

Last edited by 80gus; 05-25-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

bump..
Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look for a broken valve spring or bent pushrod. Sounds like a very mechanical noise, and follows a consistent rhythm.
Do you have a vid with the engine running and the fan disconnected?

Last edited by oldgoat69; 05-26-2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Have you any access to logging ecu data ?

That might give a clue as to why the engine is stalling. Is fuel being removed, is it being restored towards idle again etc.

Are any errors present ?

The noise is slow enough to be valvetrain, but it sounds pretty loud. Bit of a hassle, but try pulling valve covers and rockers and see if noise goes away ?

That said, when winding mine on the starter ( not starting ) it makes some horrendous noises, once started there are no noises. It's weird.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Have you any access to logging ecu data ?

That might give a clue as to why the engine is stalling. Is fuel being removed, is it being restored towards idle again etc.

Are any errors present ?

The noise is slow enough to be valvetrain, but it sounds pretty loud. Bit of a hassle, but try pulling valve covers and rockers and see if noise goes away ?

That said, when winding mine on the starter ( not starting ) it makes some horrendous noises, once started there are no noises. It's weird.
I tried to get it to do it again today, and sure enough i cant! im going to finish the gear selector and drive it, its funny that noise is very evident, then after 2 mins its gone.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Bit of an update, I got the ***** on and swapped the engine, and all is going well, I pulled the sump of the old motor, no issues found no wear marks, the reluctor wheel looks fine, I'm starting to think its a lifter issue, either getting stuck in the bore and holding a valve open, I'm really out of ideas on this one.

Quick Reply: lsx swap, very odd prblem reluctor wheel maybe