Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uh oh!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question uh oh!!

I posted this in trans forum but with no reply.
So finally got lq4 swap in my Monte Carlo. I fired it up with no trans to make sure motor was ok and oil pressure is good etc etc. My friend and I put th350 trans in with Coan converter today. I have the 4l80e flexplate with spacer and when the trans was bolted up the small humps on flexplate stopped converter from spinning freely. I elongated the holes on this portion of flexplate but I am worried that the converter bolted up at this position will hurt trans. Doesn't converter need to be pulled out a little to stop trans damage?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The converter should freely go all of the way to bottom (3 distinct steps) into the front pump, then pull out approx .250" or so. You should be able to unbolt the converter from the flexplate and spin it in the pump. Also make sure that the pilot on the engine end of the converter is concentric to the hole in the butt end of the crank. It should be very close to the same size for a good slip fit.
The way it sounds you have the whole thing installed will either stack the pump or kill the engine thrust surface or both.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

I guess as much as I don't want to pull trans I must. I know converter was in all the way but it spun freely until it got to the hump on flexplate where bolt holes are. I guess I need to check crank pilot and front of converter. It has spacer then plate on it. I know pics would be nice.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the convertor is not in all the way. It should not be out far enough to hit the flex plate.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Okay I'll pull it back down and check it this week.

Quick Reply: uh oh!!