Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?

Ok so I have spent hours searching every thread I can find and done countless google searches. Read all about Holley's new Hooker header (2276-1HKR), 302-2 pan, crossmember & mounts in a 1st Gen F Body. The new oil pan sounds great as far as clearance issues and cost overall.

I really wanted to run Kooks longtubes (6451S) b/c they're stainless VS ceramic coated and seems like they will last forever. Anyone done this?

Kooks takls about using Dirty Dingo mounts but I find no real specific info on oil pan compatibility. ???

Also are the Hookers equal length and tuned?

I like the crossmember providing room to tuck the headers up but $225 seems a little expensive. I had planned to go low buck and use a modded TH400 crossmember but thinking about drivetrain angle, header clearance, etc.

Thoughts?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ad53030
Ok so I have spent hours searching every thread I can find and done countless google searches. Read all about Holley's new Hooker header (2276-1HKR), 302-2 pan, crossmember & mounts in a 1st Gen F Body. The new oil pan sounds great as far as clearance issues and cost overall.

I really wanted to run Kooks longtubes (6451S) b/c they're stainless VS ceramic coated and seems like they will last forever. Anyone done this?

Kooks takls about using Dirty Dingo mounts but I find no real specific info on oil pan compatibility. ???

Also are the Hookers equal length and tuned?

I like the crossmember providing room to tuck the headers up but $225 seems a little expensive. I had planned to go low buck and use a modded TH400 crossmember but thinking about drivetrain angle, header clearance, etc.

Thoughts?
The Hooker headers are available in stainless steel as well (part number 2276-7HKR) so that is available if you want it.
The headers are not equal length, but they are closer to it than the Kooks design for your application.

Don't be too concerned with equal length primaries as they are only a benefit to producing peak power within a limited RPM range (i.e. drag racing) and if they are not all the RIGHT length for the targeted RPM then it is a useless characteristic all together.

$225 for a crossmember that is CAD designed and FEA tested to provide comparably low weight (14 lbs.), maximized strength and stiffness, best on the market exhaust pass through clearance and proper driveline angles when used with the Hooker engine mounts is a bargain in my opinion. Compared to modifying a TH400 crossmember the Hooker crossmember may look expensive, but it is cheaper than most of the other aftermarket crossmembers and none of them provide the high exhaust passage or engineered integrated functionality that the Hooker crossmember does.

The 302-2 will more than likely work with the Kooks headers, but you may want to ask them what engine height and inclination angle the fitment of their headers were designed for. If they leveled the collectors of their headers on a car that had its engine positioned at a 5 degree down angle like some of the goofy set-ups for these cars do, then the collectors will angle up towards the floor if you try to reduce the engine inclination angle and will no longer be level with the bottom of the subframe. You can also ask them what transmission crossmember was used in the development of their headers...if they don't know then I would assume not much thought went into driveline/U-joint working angles of your finished project. Just some things for you to consider.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the kooks stainless headers with the original motor stands and used the flat plates on the motor. I moved my engine back about 3/4" from the center position on the plates on my 67 camaro. I used the autocraft pan. The headers fit great. I am running a muncie so I used the stock cross-member. I have my engine angle at 3 degrees with great clearence. With the engine angle at 3* along with my engine position it allowed me to use my small block heater core.Sitting at 3* it moves the upper engine away from the fire wall. I went thru a couple different sets of headers before I got the kooks. I wish I had tried them first. If not using all of hookers set up I would consider this. Also the engine angle took the pain out of getting my drive line angle correct.

Good luck with your build
Old 05-31-2014, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies and the info. I will check out the stainless Hookers as well - had trouble on the website finding products.
Have a p/n for the exhaust collector adapters in 3"?
May be a dumb question, but are the flanges stainless also? Almost looked cast. How thick r flanges?

Already have a TH400 crossmember, so I was hoping to use it to save some $. Def like the fact that the Holley is only 14lbs tho.

I'll talk to Kooks and ask about the crossmemeber, driveline angle, etc.

Of course I'm on a budget but have decided to spend my money in the right places so this all helps.

@ HOMEMADE87... What accessory drive did u run? I was thinking the Corvette style w/o a/c p/n 19257325 (prob use Kwik a/c brackets when I add it later). Have any pics of the mounts / firewall clearance? How about a pic of ground clearance w the headers?

Crate LS3 w/ a built F-Body T-56 by the way.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the replies and the info. I will check out the stainless Hookers as well - had trouble on the website finding products.
May be a dumb question, but are the flanges stainless also? Almost looked cast. How thick r flanges?

Already have a TH400 crossmember, so I was hoping to use it to save some $. Def like the fact that the Holley is only 14lbs tho.

Of course I'm on a budget but have decided to spend my money in the right places so this all helps.

@ HOMEMADE87... What accessory drive did u run? I was thinking the Corvette style w/o a/c p/n 19257325 (prob use Kwik a/c brackets when I add it later). Have any pics of the mounts / firewall clearance? How about a pic of ground clearance w the headers?

Thanks!
42107HKR is the part number for the 3" to 2.5" Hooker collector reducers. Yes, the flanges and collector spears are both investment cast 304 stainless steel and the flanges are just about 1/2" thick at the ports.

There are fitment and ground clearance pictures of the Hooker components in various threads on this forum and if there's a photo of something in particular that you can't find here let me know as I have photos of just about everything related to the Hooker components on my work computer that I can post up for you.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Thanks!
I am running the stock corvette accessories with no a/c. I can not tell you much about the t-56 for I am running a muncie. Its possible you may have trouble getting the 3 degrees angle with the flat plate mounts because the t-56 is taller and may contact the tunnel. Also running the stock steering box. I cant seem to find my pictures . I will get a couple shots for you today.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Use of the Hooker engine mounts and crossmember will allow installation of a T56 under the tunnel of a 1st-gen Camaro without splitting the floor, while providing optimized U-joint working angles. You will only have to remove the factory floor shifter mounting threaded inserts (if present) and cut the hole for the shift lever. This is possible when using the Hooker components and not with other brand components because the Hooker engine mounts are a clean sheet design (not swap plates) that provide the lower engine height needed to make it possible. The bend geometry of the Hooker headers are optimized around this engine/transmission mounting geometry and the new Holley 302-2 pan was designed in conjunction with the Hooker parts to provide a complete mounting package.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Here's a couple shots of the kooks headers and engine mounting plate . I am at stock ride height also.
Attached Thumbnails Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?-kooks-headers-015.jpg   Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?-kooks-headers-016.jpg   Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?-kooks-headers-005.jpg   Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?-kooks-headers-010.jpg   Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?-kooks-headers-019.jpg  

Old 06-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Here's a shot of the front accessories . Cant tell much about the fire wall clearance. Cant get a good shot of it. To much stuff in the way. If you look close you can see the heater hose connections. Just enough to fit the hose on and clamp.

Here's another of the pass side header also.
Attached Thumbnails Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?-kooks-headers-009.jpg   Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?-kooks-headers-013.jpg   Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?-kooks-headers-014.jpg   Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?-kooks-headers-008.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by homemade87
Here's a couple shots of the kooks headers and engine mounting plate . I am at stock ride height also.
Good pics homemade87, overall your clearances are good being that you used a mixed-source combination of components. Since you are at stock ride height your combination should serve you well. The Hooker parts were designed to accommodate considerably lowered ride stances and thus take advantage of the high exhaust arches in the Hooker crossmember and Torca coupler clamps to really get the entire system up and away from the ground and eliminate any possible edge that could catch on something a vehicle might drive over (a couple of pics here to compare to your combination). The O2 bungs on the Hooker headers are also clocked past horizontal, which is a must for running wide band O2's.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Todd, That looks like a good set up. I had several components I had acquired from a project I bought from another person that had already started. I was trying to make what I had to work. And it did work good for my set up once i found the kooks headers. I go thru several headers to find the fit I was looking for.

Ad53030, If you have nothing bought already I would consider the hooker setup.It may save you a lot of headaches and time. I spent a lot of time fitting and sending back. The kooks were great quality and fitment with the flat mounting plate, just don't know about the t-56 fitment.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Thank you both for the pics. This helps a lot. I haven't bought anything yet and am definitely considering the Holley setup. Just weighing my options. It truly does sound good to spend a few more dollars to get a matched kit w/o headaches.

@Toddoky You said the flanges are about 1/2" at the ports, but the flange is only 5/16"? Just had issues in the past w/ header gaskets and like a 3/8" flange. Alos, If I'm running a 3" exhaust, what couplers would I use? Also, does Holley sell the exhaust / X pipe w/o the mufflers?
Thanks

Last edited by ad53030; 06-11-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank you both for the pics. This helps a lot. I haven't bought anything yet and am definitely considering the Holley setup. Just weighing my options. It truly does sound good to spend a few more dollars to get a matched kit w/o headaches.

@Toddoky You said the flanges are about 1/2" at the ports, but the flange is only 5/16"? Just had issues in the past w/ header gaskets and like a 3/8" flange. Alos, If I'm running a 3" exhaust, what couplers would I use? Also, does Holley sell the exhaust / X pipe w/o the mufflers?
Thanks
The flanges are 3/8" thick under the bolt bosses between the ports and approximately 1/2" tall at the ports. All of the new Hooker LS swap headers that have been released in the last two years feature TIG welded flat flange port finishing for optimized port match and sealing; the prior experience you had with 5/16" flanges was most likely with a header that used the raised weld bead construction method, which is less forgiving and repeatable than the flat flange method of construction. The 3" Hooker exhaust kit contains the Torca coupler clamps that provide direct connection to the Hooker long tube header collectors.The Hooker exhaust kits are only offered complete at this point in time and I've not heard any talk of them being offering any other way.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

P/N for the exhaust coupler 3" to 3"?

Do u know if the headers would clear the 3rd gen camaro H.O. steering box? Was planning on running that box as a quick ratio upgrade. Dont know how different it is externally from a stock 1st gen.
Thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running the holley setup for the pan, mounts, and headers. The SS headers are very nice and the support from holley was great. If you search my name there are a few pictures I posted.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

P/N for the exhaust coupler 3" to 3"?

Do u know if the headers would clear the 3rd gen camaro H.O. steering box? Was planning on running that box as a quick ratio upgrade. Dont know how different it is externally from a stock 1st gen.
Thanks.
I'm not sure of the compatibility with the 3rd gen Camaro steering box, but you won't find an LS swap header with more clearance around the steering box to allow such a modification without resorting to routing one of the front tubes up and over the top of the others, which negatively impacts spark plug wire boot and steering box hydraulic line clearances. The part number for the 3" coupler kit is 41173HKR (there are two couplers in each kit).
Old 06-13-2014, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

@ cwylie Thanks, I'll check out your pics.

@ Toddoky I'll do some more homework on the steering box. Can't find anything with that p/n on the couplers on summit or on holley's site.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

@ cwylie Thanks, I'll check out your pics.

@ Toddoky I'll do some more homework on the steering box. Can't find anything with that p/n on the couplers on summit or on holley's site.
They Hooker coupler kit must not be loaded in the system yet...the Vibrant 1172 part number on Summit's site is the same part.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toddoky, is there a part number for the whole kit? I am starting to get to the install portion of my LS swap in my Camaro and am also leaning towards your kit
Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by whytry
Toddoky, is there a part number for the whole kit? I am starting to get to the install portion of my LS swap in my Camaro and am also leaning towards your kit
Hello whytry. There isn't a complete kit number as the number of possible parts combinations makes it impossible to offer such a kit. However, if you tell me what your engine/transmission combination is, I'd be glad to provide you with a list of all the parts you need.

Quick Reply: Holley 302-2 pan with Kooks Headers in 1st Gen F Body?