Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They look awesome and it looks like they'll also fit with generic stock location and 1" setback adapter plates.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
They look awesome and it looks like they'll also fit with generic stock location and 1" setback adapter plates.
They probably won't Fry due to the routing geometry of the tubes around the lower control arm mounting brackets on the frame and the designed tight collector-to-floor clearance on the driver side of the car. Using swap plates will raise the engine to the point that the collector will be digging into the floor in my opinion.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Finish welding up this set & i will take them.

Looks good, I'm glad someone is finally making a set that firts our cars.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How much do u think the headers will run? They look fantastic
Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by samckitt
Finish welding up this set & i will take them.

Looks good, I'm glad someone is finally making a set that firts our cars.
I have my hood down and I'm TIGing them up with my feet as I'm writing this...how's that for multi-tasking!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jimmyg
How much do u think the headers will run? They look fantastic
Look up the latest Hooker 1st-gen Camaro LS swap headers on Summit/Jeg's for comparison as they will be in the same ballpark I'm sure. The part numbers for those headers are...

2276HKR painted mild steel
2276-1HKR silver ceramic mild steel
2276-3HKR black ceramic mild steel
2276-7HKR 304ss with merge collectors and investment cast collector spears
Old 08-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything looks like it is coming together nicely. Hurry up! I'm waiting!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm working towards completion as fast as possible, but there are certain development steps that can't be omitted due to quality and process requirements...you will be rewarded for your patience I assure you.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Looking good!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any updates?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Any time frame for release dates Toddoky?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 86slicksilverss
Any time frame for release dates Toddoky?
I believe the engine mounting bracket kits are in our facility to be boxed now. A few vehicle production/build differences were discovered while we were performing a due diligence installation of all the components on an early model Malibu, so the header release has been bumped back a couple of weeks to make some minor changes to their design geometry to accommodate all the cars more optimally. I would say the transmission crossmember release would seem to be in the vicinity of 35-40 days knowing how these things go normally.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Is there a motor mount nd tranny header kit for this application?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Tranny mount*? My bad
Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lq9ssmonte
Tranny mount*? My bad
Yes, the engine mounting bracket kit and trans crossmember will be sold separately.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Yes, the engine mounting bracket kit and trans crossmember will be sold separately.
Ok great when will this be available? im in the middle of my swap lq9 is at da shop nd im trying to gather parts. I would like to read up on this motor mount, tranny mount anywhere else I could find info
Old 08-27-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok great when will this be available? im in the middle of my swap lq9 is at da shop nd im trying to gather parts. I would like to read up on this motor mount, tranny mount anywhere else I could find info

We are not far enough along in the completion of the production tooling for me to lock down a release date for all the components that will be available, so I can say if you are trying to start installing your engine into your car next week that these components won't yet be available for you to consider using in your swap. If you are in the planning stages at this point, then the timing may work well for you as we deal with the final pre-production issues that will allow us to get these parts on the shelf ready for purchase. This thread was created for the purpose of providing technical information for anyone who may want or need it, since you won't find such info anywhere else at this point due to the parts not being available at this time. I am the engineer at Holley that designs all the Hooker LS swap mounts, crossmembers, headers and exhaust systems, so you can get direct answers to any questions you may have here, so just ask away.

Todd
Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Toddoky;18394352].

We are not far enough along in the completion of the production tooling for me to lock down a release date for all the components that will be available, so I can say if you are trying to start installing your engine into your car next week that these components won't yet be available for you to consider using in your swap. If you are in the planning stages at this point, then the timing may work well for you as we deal with the final pre-production issues that will allow us to get these parts on the shelf ready for purchase. This thread was created for the purpose of providing technical information for anyone who may want or need it, since you won't find such info anywhere else at this point due to the parts not being available at this time. I am the engineer at Holley that designs all the Hooker LS swap mounts, crossmembers, headers and exhaust systems, so you can get direct answers to any questions you may have here, so just ask away.

Todd[/QUOTE

O ok thanks man. My engine will be in the shop for another 3 weeks and im in no hurry to get it done if these new products are going to make this swap alot easier as im still kinda new to all this. Now would you happen to know if these motor mounts are going to be setting in the engine in the stock location or offset?
Are they going to be made to clear the heaterbox and coil or will it clear the cross member? Im also wondering about it clearing the stock ac compressor as im wanting to run ac in it. Im guessing the tranny mount is going to coincide with the motor mounts. Where will the tranny set in stock location and will they have the offset for the exhaust? Do u have any idea about an oil pan that doesnt hang under the crossmember for this swap or a setup that will get me there I dont like the idea of that. Thanks

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/4620844135.html
xhaust to clear?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=lq9ssmonte;18394758]
Originally Posted by Toddoky

Todd[/QUOTE

O ok thanks man. My engine will be in the shop for another 3 weeks and im in no hurry to get it done if these new products are going to make this swap alot easier as im still kinda new to all this. Now would you happen to know if these motor mounts are going to be setting in the engine in the stock location or offset?
Are they going to be made to clear the heaterbox and coil or will it clear the cross member? Im also wondering about it clearing the stock ac compressor as im wanting to run ac in it. Im guessing the tranny mount is going to coincide with the motor mounts. Where will the tranny set in stock location and will they have the offset for the exhaust? Do u have any idea about an oil pan that doesnt hang under the crossmember for this swap or a setup that will get me there I dont like the idea of that. Thanks

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/4620844135.html
xhaust to clear?
You don't mention what transmission you are going to be installing, but I'll answer your questions assuming it's a 4L80 that you purchased with your LQ9...if it's not, we'll adjust the info accordingly.
Firstly, the engine mounting brackets and transmission crossmember will work in unison to maintain the stock offset and incorporate a set-back of approximately 3/4", which means someone wanting to accomplish an LS/2004R swap may need to lengthen their driveshaft due to the transmission being relocated forward by about 1/4".

The right side coil bracket may or may not need to be relocated to clear the A/C box due to the extreme amount of production tolerance variation between the 1978-87 cars and varying degrees of body bushing wear. As an example, a controlled set of mounting components and an LS engine and 4L80 transmission that were installed into our 86 Monte Carlo SS yielded approximately 3/8" of clearance between the right side coil bracket and the A/C box and about 1/8" when all of the same parts were loaded into a 79 Malibu.

The Hooker transmission crossmember can be used to install a 4l80, 4L60, TH400, 2004R, T56 or T56 Magnum transmission, so you should be covered there.
Yes, the crossmember features cut-outs on either side for installing the Hooker 2.5" or 3" exhaust systems that will be available, or one of your choice.

The engine mounts were designed to accommodate the fitment geometry of the Holley 302-2 oil pan, which fits into this application without hanging below the frame. If you scan this thread you will discover images I posted of this already.

You can install the stock truck compressor with these engine brackets, but it requires that you notch the frame and also clearance the aluminum mounting bracket the goes between the compressor and the engine...if the will is there, it can be done. Holley also sells top-mount A/C relocation brackets that you can use to mount an R4 style or Sanden compressor to the right side cylinder head to get your A/C system operational.

Let me know if I left anything out.

Last edited by Toddoky; 08-27-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Toddoky;18394896]

You don't mention what transmission you are going to be installing, but I'll answer your questions assuming it's a 4L80 that you purchased with your LQ9...if it's not, we'll adjust the info accordingly.
Firstly, the engine mounting brackets and transmission crossmember will work in unison to maintain the stock offset and incorporate a set-back of approximately 3/4", which means someone wanting to accomplish an LS/2004R swap may need to lengthen their driveshaft due to the transmission being relocated forward by about 1/4".

The right side coil bracket may or may not need to be relocated to clear the A/C box due to the extreme amount of production tolerance variation between the 1978-87 cars and varying degrees of body bushing wear. As an example, a controlled set of mounting components and an LS engine and 4L80 transmission that were installed into our 86 Monte Carlo SS yielded approximately 3/8" of clearance between the right side coil bracket and the A/C box and about 1/8" when all of the same parts were loaded into a 79 Malibu.

The Hooker transmission crossmember can be used to install a 4l80, 4L60, TH400, 2004R, T56 or T56 Magnum transmission, so you should be covered there.
Yes, the crossmember features cut-outs on either side for installing the Hooker 2.5" or 3" exhaust systems that will be available, or one of your choice.

The engine mounts were designed to accommodate the fitment geometry of the Holley 302-2 oil pan, which fits into this application without hanging below the frame. If you scan this thread you will discover images I posted of this already.

You can install the stock truck compressor with these engine brackets, but it requires that you notch the frame and also clearance the aluminum mounting bracket the goes between the compressor and the engine...if the will is there, it can be done. Holley also sells top-mount A/C relocation brackets that you can use to mount an R4 style or Sanden compressor to the right side cylinder head to get your A/C system operational.

Let me know if I left anything out.

Ok wel im nt to sure of the transmission yet as im tryn to gather all my info on part prices which would help me determine if il use the 4l80e or t56 I really want the 6 speed.

I know u gave some ballpark prices for the engine mounts and headers I didnt see anything on the tranny do u have some figures set in stone yet?

3/8" do u think thats more than enough clearance at the minimum? It shouldnt hurt anyhthing I dnt think id jus like ur opinion on it.

Im planning on goin with a fast 92 intake and throttle body I should be ok on clearance I did notice in one of the other posts that you mentioned the truck intake would fit.

do u happen to know what radiator is going to be used in your application as im almost 100% sure im going to be going with the hooker kit nd id like to use the same complete setup that ur mock 86 monte will be as I would be sure that everything would fit if eveything goes well im working with an 85 ss.. thanks for all your help I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview