Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator question

I noticed that a lot of threads talk about using a different alternator when swapping engines into a non-ls car.
Why? Can't the alternator be re wired to work in whatever you put it in?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the alt. all of the lsx alts can used in non ls cars as they can be wired to run without the ecu controls. Steve
Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An alternator is an alternator.. it comes down to how it can be mounted and how it gets controlled or activated.

Once you know how or which way it is required to be controlled... you just wire it up with those requirement in mine. The alternators that are used on tge GEN III and later where mostly PCM controlled.. some of the earlier alternator where activated by applying voltage.. generally 5v.. 12v reduced by a light or a resistor inline to create the required voltage.

Yes there are many other methods... but you can do that research youself.

But back to your question.. no reason you cannot do as you question or asked if you could.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The electrical system won't care as long as the current demands are being met.

I think there are some people who might have been on a budget (or being cheap) and already had alternator x, or with the accessories they needed something with a smaller case. Beyond the smaller case option, I see no reason to change. The problem with swapping alternators is making sure the output exceeds your requirements.

As you can imagine, Corvette alternators are quite expensive and only fit the Corvette bracket. I got one in a kit I just bought so I'm using it. Is it "better" than the truck alternators I usually use, no.

I prefer the DR44G high output alternators from luxury trucks, they are available, high output and about the same price as everything else. As a side benefit, they fit all the brackets except the Corvette so I put them on everything where they will fit.

Quick Reply: Alternator question