Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Begins! My 67 Firebird LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:21 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gumbasia
Thanks Tuske! I can't even count the amount of times I have been to your build page.
Hopefully that wasn't to see what not to do, ha ha ha

Hopefully you don't need to remove your kick panels. I've found that they are like the last thing I removed and the first thing I put in. They're under the parking brake assembly and other parts and didn't come out easily at all. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No man, good info there. I wish I had the patience and foresight to do some of things you have done. especially the metal work.
RE: the kick panels, I ordered the custom autosound ones from ebay to accommodate the fact that I put the ECM on the passenger side and I still wanted speaker in the kickpanels. Even after ordering those, I still had to make some adjustments to fit but nothing too difficult. For the drivers side where the e-brake was, I moved that to the trans 'hump' so I that freed up some room.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Default Been a Long Time!!!

She runs and drives!

Have actually been able to drive this car for the first time last month. Almost all of the important stuff is done with the exception of minor tweaks. Also just got the car back from Speed inc after a nice tune the put on the car - put down 409 at the wheels!

The short list left to do:
Get the rubber AC lines crimped
Interior finishing bits; a screw here an emblem there.
Maybe an electric vacuum pump or accumulator for better brakes
Dial in the suspension; camber, alignment and ride stiffness
small odds-n-ends

Happy to see light at the end of the tunnel and am thrilled to be able to finally drive her!

-MZ
Attached Thumbnails It Begins! My 67 Firebird LS Swap-firebird-painted.jpg  
Old 08-18-2017, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's awesome, now get out there and start driving it.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Wow! Just over a year since my last post on my project. Guess I have been busy.
Like most on this site, we are never really done with our projects and I am no different. While it is now a 'finished' running and driving car, there is still a number of things I want to address and change -- and it's only been a year! Hopefully some can learn from my issues - albeit minor - and have a smoother swap.
  • Exterior
    • Wheels - measure, measure and measure again. I rushed to get the car around and probably should have done more research before buying my wheel-tire combo. They look great but stick out too far in the back and rub the fender wheel well. I will be rolling the fender to help the clearance but will ultimately get a different offset.
    • Chrome - used a bunch of the original chrome which is definitely showing its age. Not a huge deal, and i notice more than others, but I still want it to look better.
  • Interior - this is where I still have the most 'work'
    • Power Lock/Window/Remote Start Conversion - currently building a package for this install for the winter. The power windows are not a huge thing to me, but while I am doing the other stuff in the doors and under the dash, why not?
    • Build a Center Console - looked at the OEM style and aftermarket pieces but they really wont fit what I am trying to do. This would be done at the same time as the locks and remote start.
  • Drive-train - she runs great but...
    • Couple of little leaks here and there which need to be chased down. One is definitely trans fluid so I might as well do the seals and torque converter. 2800-3200 stall...
    • AC - Just got it filled up a month ago!
      • Wire up the second fan for when the AC kicks on. right now, the second fan makes the fuse blow so it is totally disconnected. She doesn't run too hot but would still like the extra cooling for longer trips. maybe a new trinary switch?
Old 08-24-2018, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gumbasia, check out the console I built. It uses stock parts and looks factory after it was covered. I hear you with the wheels issue. I finally had to go with a shorter tire to resolve mine.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Alan - that's very similar to what I want to do with mine. I did 'customize' the B&M shifter mount to include USB, 12v outlet and some toggle switches but want something like what you have. Also, since I plan on doing power window and lock conversions, I think it would make a good position for the switches.

On a side note - glad your wheel issue did not do more damage.

Quick Reply: It Begins! My 67 Firebird LS Swap