Sponsored by:

2002 DBW Denali LQ4 Pinouts Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 DBW Denali LQ4 Pinouts Needed

Evening everybody,

I'm getting ready to kick into making my own harness for an LQ4/L92/LS3 swap into my '88 GTA. I'm at the phase where I need to start worrying about the wiring. I've got a complete diagram built to merge my spare '88 TPI harness with an 01-02 LS1 F-body ECM pinout, but it turns out there's quite a few differences between the DBW truck and the DBC F-body harness.

I need the ECM pinouts for C1 and C2 on a DBW LQ4 in a 2002 GMC Denali. I just need to figure out which pins to move around to get it in the F-body configuration. I'm assuming once I have that done I can get the 411 PCM reflashed to an F-body configuration, and it will accept the F-body pinouts, correct?

Thanks!

cal30sniper
Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Check http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm
Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Teching In

I have looked all through their stuff. They have pinouts for 99-02 trucks, but it doesn't appear to be very close to the pinouts on my 02 DBW setup. I need something for an 02 Denali, or very close. There are a ton of differences between the 99 Truck pinouts and the 01 F-body pinouts in my service manual. I'm willing to bet there's just as many between a 99 DBC Truck harness and an 02 DBW Truck harness.

-cal30sniper
Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

What color are the connectors that go to your PCM? Are they blue and green, or blue and red? If you have blue/green take a look at the 03-07 pinouts and see of they work
Old 07-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Teching In

They're Blue-Red Connectors into a 411 PCM. Unfortunately, it's a DBW setup. It doesn't look to be hard at all to convert that to DBC, but I am having a heck of a time finding pinouts or wiring for it. If I go by the 99 5.3 Spreadsheet on LT1swap, a bunch of the stuff doesn't match up to what I'm seeing, nor does it match up at all to the 2001 F-body service manual that I have.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Does your DBW TB look like this>
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Teching In

Looks very similar. Long cylinder sticking out the passenger side with 2 wires. Odd looking TPS on the driver side with oval plug and 6 (I believe) pins on it. Mine appears to be an identical setup to the 2000-02 LQ9 motors. I'm betting a pinout from one of them would be the same as what I have too. The Denali, Yukon, Escalade, Avalanche, Suburban, and Tahoe all use the same Factory service manuals for 2002. Any of those pinouts should work.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah, the 01-02 DBW truck are oddball years. That pic is an 02 LQ9 with an LS1 intake in my 68 vette.
I've got a 5 page hard copy of the wiring diagram somewhere around here. But from your description, it sounded like you were looking to put together a hybrid, truck dbw with f body features elsewhere. Check with who ever will set up your tune before you start wiring. You might be better off keeping the truck tune/harness or switch to the f body harness/tune and get manual tb.
Do you have the pedal/TAC or MAF yet? If not the f body harness/tune/sensors may be easiest.
Let me know if you still need the 02 truck schematic, I can scan and email to you.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

The pin outs for a pre 2003 DBW truck should all be very close to being the same. Also, just an FYI, if you flash your PCM to an F body tune, your DBW wont work. I would leave the truck tune and modify it from there.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
The pin outs for a pre 2003 DBW truck should all be very close to being the same. Also, just an FYI, if you flash your PCM to an F body tune, your DBW wont work. I would leave the truck tune and modify it from there.
Spoken by a man who knows by experience.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Guys, thanks for the replies. That's the kind of info and discussion I was hoping to get rolling here. I've gotten really good at the TPI/TBI stuff over the years, but I'm still somewhere in the slightly confused category in the idiosyncrasies of the Gen III/IV platforms over the years.

Originally Posted by garys 68
Yeah, the 01-02 DBW truck are oddball years. That pic is an 02 LQ9 with an LS1 intake in my 68 vette.
I've got a 5 page hard copy of the wiring diagram somewhere around here. But from your description, it sounded like you were looking to put together a hybrid, truck dbw with f body features elsewhere. Check with who ever will set up your tune before you start wiring. You might be better off keeping the truck tune/harness or switch to the f body harness/tune and get manual tb.
Do you have the pedal/TAC or MAF yet? If not the f body harness/tune/sensors may be easiest.
Let me know if you still need the 02 truck schematic, I can scan and email to you.
I'll be sending you a PM for those diagrams, that's exactly what I need to get started. As far as the setup, I'm definitely getting rid of the DBW. It's just far easier to set up the mechanical side of a DBC setup on a 3rdGen F-body. Currently, I have a complete '02 DBW LQ4/4L65 setup, along with all the truck accessories, electronic throttle body, wiring harness, 411 PCM, gas pedal, TAC, MAF, etc. I also have L92 heads, an LS3 intake, a FAST 92mm 4-bolt TB, F-body LS1 accessories and TPS/IAC sensors, and the complete set of factory service manuals for an '01 F-body and an '88 F-body.

I want to run the Trans (after converting to 2wd with an F-body tailshaft) and LQ4 short block, with the L92/LS3 topend, cable driven, using the large LQ4 MAF in a custom air intake setup. I've already built the wiring tables in excel to merge the spare '88 TPI engine harness that I have with '01 F-body pinouts from the service manual so I have a plug and play harness. I figured the F-body tune would be easier for a lot of people to work with, especially since I don't need the extra goodies in the truck tune like 4x4, DBW, etc. It would also be nice to be dealing with a similar wiring layout to what I already have in the factory manuals. I'd rather run an LS1/4L60 F-body harness, but I'm not willing to pay $300 to get started with one. Nor would I like to pay $200+ to get the complete set of manuals for the Denali/Escalade. No idea why that particular set is so high, even used. If I could find some on CD, that would be awesome, but so far, no luck in that department either.

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Thanks for the heads up. That's a good thing to know. I'm still pretty much dead set against the DBW setup though. I might convert the truck harness to DBC, but I'd prefer to get it as close to the LS as possible just for the simplicity of being able to reference the manuals for everything. Maybe I'm just being ornery, but the F-body layouts just seem to make sense to me, and be a bit simpler in what all has to be hooked up. Again, its probably just because I'm able to dig through the manuals on it, but seeing as I'm pretty much rerouting the harness from scratch, I can kind of set it up however I want. I plan to keep the relays for coolant fans from my 88 (controlled by the 411 PCM as a dual fan setup), and splice in a 4th Gen A/C compressor relay and switch with my '88 Compressor to gain the advantage of a PCM controlled A/C clutch. Ditto on the cruise control, I want to use the 4th Gen system there as well.

Any suggestions or problems y'all see with that combo? The only thing I see I'm really going to have to do to swap from a truck pinout to LS pinout is trace some references and grounds to see where they end up, and figure out the park/neutral single wire input. I'll be taking the harness apart anyways to get all the DBW and emissions stuff out, so it shouldn't be hard to do. Am I going about this the right way?

-cal30sniper
Old 07-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Teching In

As a note, I never intended to get into the DBW stuff in the first place. After talking extensively on the phone to a guy and driving 3 hours to New Orleans to pick it up, it turned out it wasn't DBC like he had claimed. Seeing the condition of the engine and trans, I decided to get it anyways, and I ended up in this strange land of early DBW stuff. Just trying to go about the right way of getting rid of it now.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you would be better off changing to DBC TB or getting a harness and PCM for the DBW. It is so much easier to use all compatible parts. I have a blue/green DBW harness I have almost completed. It has automatic trans connectors in it too. I would be willing to trade for your f-body harness. Is your f-body harness from a stick or auto car?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Teching In

I have a DBW Truck Harness with all supporting hardware for an '02 Red/Blue 411 PCM. This is the same PCM that the DBC Trucks and F-bodys came with. It's only a matter of modifying the pins, running wires for the TPS, and changing the connectors to work with the DBC setup. I do not have an LS1 F-body harness, only an '88 Trans Am TPI harness that I'm hacking up to make this a mostly plug and play operation when the harness is finished.

Changing to DBC is exactly what I'm doing. That's why I picked up the Fast 92 throttle body for the LS3 intake.

Quick Reply: 2002 DBW Denali LQ4 Pinouts Needed