Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Default New guy here, need help

Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Default New guy here, need help

Alright so to start off I have some working experience with cars like changing fuel filters, changing spark plugs and small maintenance stuff like that but on a Ford. I've tried to read up and watch videos but that can only help so much, I still have questions. So the problem is I want to buy a good condition third generation Camaro and swap an LS1+T56 transmission into there but I don't really know where to start. What do I do once I get my car and engine+transmission, do I begin to disassemble all the wiring, cooling, exhaust from the engine and then take it out and put the new engine in and connect it all back together? How about conversion kits, don't I need those? What kind of tools do I need for this job?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome aboard. The best way to begin is to search the site for appropriate build threads. Pay close attention to the combinations of parts used in successful projects. Often times mix and match just don't work out well. Most of us have not used any sort of actual "kit", rather a proven selection of parts. Each application will be different based on skill level, budget and the actual engine/trans you elect to use. I suggest that you video the car prior to taking it apart, and detail any sub-disassembly for future reference even though it will not go back the way it started. Pay close attention to methods used by others and follow their map. You may be able to use a great deal of the original chassis and dash wiring integrated with the LS electrics. The tool question is pretty open ended. The short answer is a good set of hand tools will be required. Specialty tools will be dictated by the depth of the overall job you feel confident tackling on your own.
Ask tons of specific questions, search the site, look at the stickys, pay close attention to proven combinations. Most of all don't get in a hurry, be patient and thorough. The group participating here bring a wealth of experience and skill to the table. Most are more than willing to share and will provide encouragement and expertise.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Not to sound negative but why not just buy a 4th gen with an ls1/t56 in it? You would probably spend more swapping the setup into a 3rd gen than if you bought a car already setup. If you love third gens and aren't a fan of the 4th gen, go for the swap, but if you just want a quick car the ls1 f-bodies are really hard to beat for the money. Personally, I hate the seating position of f-bodies so I swapped a 68 chevy pickup. To each their own, just throwing out an idea that might save you money.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by operatorfailure
Not to sound negative but why not just buy a 4th gen with an ls1/t56 in it? You would probably spend more swapping the setup into a 3rd gen than if you bought a car already setup. If you love third gens and aren't a fan of the 4th gen, go for the swap, but if you just want a quick car the ls1 f-bodies are really hard to beat for the money. Personally, I hate the seating position of f-bodies so I swapped a 68 chevy pickup. To each their own, just throwing out an idea that might save you money.
I don't dig the look of the fourth gen plus I would love the experience and having accomplished an engine swap myself.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool

Originally Posted by moe747
I don't dig the look of the fourth gen plus I would love the experience and having accomplished an engine swap myself.

You might find one or two answers to your questions right here...

Good luck!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Default New guy here, need help