Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E hanging during shifts

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E hanging during shifts

The trans shifts too hard when driving normal, but when you go WOT it really hangs in each gear before shifting. Any ideas on why? It's a mail order tune. Stock LQ4 with a 2005 Escalade ECM DBW. As far as I know the trans is stock, just the turn changed. Thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tuner friend thinks perhaps the mail order tune is too "generic" and you should find a guy who'll spend some time on the road with his laptop so it can be tweaked properly.

That's what my car needed before the trans shifted properly. Mine would hang at WOT and generally shifted crappy with my original mail order tune.

It's fun to drive when everything works as it should.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks for that. I need to order HP tuners? EFI live and see what it's set at. Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

In order for the trans to shift, primarily three criteria must be met. First vehicle speed, tps and at wide open throttle, rpm. If the PCM detects knock it retards the timing, slows the engine down and rpm criteria is not met. Thus it hangs. This is the most common cause I have found. You need to find someone with hpt or efi live to data log the car and see what is going on. Then have a tuner adjust the file accordingly. Knock can also be caused by a severe lean condition from dirty or stuck injectors. If the engine has set for a long time not running, the injectors may be cruddy. Essentially you need more data before spending $$$ on parts.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks aknovaman, I will look into all that for sure. Not digging the DBW very much, way to sensitive too, but most say to just take some time to get used to it.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Understood. The best part is with a couple toggle switches you have instant cruise control. It really is that simple and cheap.

Quick Reply: 4L60E hanging during shifts