Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

65 Nova - 5.3/4L60E - where should these hoses/lines attach? vacuum?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 Nova - 5.3/4L60E - where should these hoses/lines attach? vacuum?

Hi guys, I got this Nova already swapped. Just have a few questions about some hoses that are attached, cut, missing, etc. Ill post the questions below the pic...

1. i believe there are 2 outlets at the back of the intake, where should these 2 hoses run to? i think one is blocked off that points to the drivers side as of now and the one on the passenger side is running through a hose that is cut and goes nowhere...

2. there are these threaded bungs which i think were added by the installer i guess by the way they look, both of them are not capped or running anywhere. what should these run to or what should i do about them?

3. all the hoses outlets on the TB/valve covers:
-the PASS valve cover is going to the tb.
-water pump hose runs under tb to coolant lines

how should each of these lines from the tb/valve covers/pcv/coolant lines be run and what are there mates?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What mounts did you use?
Are you using a gto oil pan?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

It came to me in this conditions, if there is a part number somewhere on it i can look for for you i would do so.

are you able to answer any of the questions i posted? it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can only give you information on a couple that I can really see clearly.
#2 - the threaded bungs can be capped since they were intended to be vents most likely going to an external catch can with a vented cap.
#3 - Should go to a nipple upstream of the throttle body.
You should have a PCV valve in 1 valve cover. A hose should go to the intake or throttle body that shows idle vacuum.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

Get some cold air to that filter.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

The hoses on the back are probably associated with a vacuum source (power brake booster, MAP sensor, etc) you'll need a better picture of those specifically to get a better answer.

The bungs on the valve covers you'll want to cap unless you're going turbocharged.

The hose off the water pump, you'll want to leave it hooked up to the steam tube from both heads. Don't connect this to a vacuum source like the other hoses on the throttle body. This hose might tee off going through the throttle body and then to the heads, if not, just make sure it gets to the steam tube.

The hose from the passenger valve cover to the throttle body you can leave alone.
Somewhere there's a pcv valve line going to the intake, you'll want to make sure that's in place too.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not sure what your I the toons are with this car, but it looks like the last owner had ambitions of turbocharging.
If you don't plan to do this, you may want to sell those headers and get some regular ones to save yourself a headache or two.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Ill post some more pics of each tube here in a bit.

Im not sure the other owners intentions either although a turbo would be cool way down the road. the headers currently run into one 3 inch pipe that come together and go out through one muffler right under the passenger seat and turns out right after the muffler. so both headers to one pipe that goes just to under the pass. seat.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

so here you can see the coolant line going across under the intake to the other side where it connects to the water pump. you can also see a line from the TB to the fuel lines (truck lines)

here you can see the TB to the valve cover and where the coolant line meets the water pump

this is the hose that attaches to the outlet on the back of the intake that points to the passenger side. this hose is connected and goes nowhere. where should it attach from the back of the intake? if anywhere?

this is the back of the intake on the drivers side. you can see the outlet pointing to the drivers side is taped off. again, where should this hose connect, if anywhere?

If you see anything else wrong in my photos please let me know. Thanks for the help team!
Dan
Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Picture 1) steam tube hose looks good. Throw a clamp on it.
If you want to run those truck fuel rails, you'll need to bolt them down, but the the vacuum line from behind the throttle body to the regulator on the rail is fine, it just looks tacky.

Picture 3&4) looks like you're running manual brakes, so properly cap both of those outlets and you should be fine.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
Picture 1) steam tube hose looks good. Throw a clamp on it.
If you want to run those truck fuel rails, you'll need to bolt them down, but the the vacuum line from behind the throttle body to the regulator on the rail is fine, it just looks tacky.

Picture 3&4) looks like you're running manual brakes, so properly cap both of those outlets and you should be fine.
Thanks for the response. I was planning to get the hoses right first but yes, i will need to clamp the hoses and bolt that thing down. Thanks again. Now I have a little work to do

Quick Reply: 65 Nova - 5.3/4L60E - where should these hoses/lines attach? vacuum?