Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 PCM cooling fan control

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 PCM cooling fan control

Hey everyone, I'm having a problem getting my electric fans to be controlled by the PCM. I got a 05 LQ4 in my S10 with a 04 PCM. I can manually control the fans on and off with my scan tool, but they won't turn on at the set temperature which is 215F by themselves. I've talked to the guy that does my tuning and he said they're turned on to work. I've tried both fan 1 and fan 2,3 control, neither ground the relay. Any ideas? I've been using a flex-a-lite fan controller, but it just crapped the bed and I'd rather not buy another one. Thanks! Actual specs are 05 LQ4 with a LS1 intake, Comp Cams XFI RPM cam, 224,228 duration, .534,.537 lift, then has a 4L80 behind it, and here's a few pictures.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Within HP Tuners there are some settings that will enable the fans on a truck program that need to be set for them to work - even though the temperature conditions have been met. I would assume EFI Live is similar, but I don't use that software. I believe this is because most trucks didn't come with electric fans, even though the base code is there to operate them and the PCM has the capability. If your tuner isn't experienced with swaps, they may not realize this option is there. It's also very easy to miss when you have so many other parameters to check.

Regretfully without seeing the calibration, it's difficult to say if these parameters have been set properly.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah ok cool, figured it had to be something like that. He doesn't use HP or EFI Live, uses software from Wester's Garage. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if I can go check out the software with him.

Quick Reply: LQ4 PCM cooling fan control