Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My VG30DETT to LS1 Z (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My VG30DETT to LS1 Z (pic heavy)

Hey everyone...

just wanted to show off my ride a little bit.

I bought this car in 2006 pretty much bone stock. It had boost jets, a pop charger, and an off the shelf JWT chip. That was it.

Here's what it looked like in 2008.

At this time, it still had stock turbos on it, which had been bored out and bigger cartridges added, 550 CC Injectors, and a dual intake.

In 2010, I started building on it again. and by the end of summer that year, I had some major porting done in the heads, 1mm oversize valves, as big a set of cams as I could put in it without milling the heads for clearance, ferrea valve springs, and titanium retainers, bored .040 over, forged bottom end, went to 740CC injectors, bigger fuel rails, 2.5 inch charge piping, 3 inch intake with dual maf translator, and GT2560R turbos.

Here's a pic of the engine taken in november of 2010 when I started painting it.

When this engine was right, it was a beast. The problem is that after all the modification, it became incredibly unreliable. That is why I swapped to an LS.

Doing the paint job.

Here is what it looked like after I painted it.

It was my first paintjob, so it took me from november of 2010, until may of 2011 to finish it.

Now onto some LS1 pics. Two weeks before finishing the swap.

Two days after first start up.

I gotta say that so far, I like the LS, a lot. It is not as strong up top as the vg motor was when it was right, the problem is that it was right about 20% of the time between 2011 and 2013.

After I snapped a camshaft in november of 2013, I had had enough. I sold off all the go fast stuff out of the motor, and all the spare parts I had, and got within a thousand bucks of what I needed for the swap.

My motor is an LS1 out of a 99 camaro. It was bored .020 over, and rebuilt with all new seals, bearings, rings, oil pump, timing chain etc. It has a 575 int/574 exh lift cam, 224/224 duration, with a 112 centerline. The heads were mildly ported, Gm performance 600 lift springs, crower forged rods, and Mahle coated pistons. I am running 39 lb injectors from Tre Performance, a ported and polished stock throttle body, and Traiblazer SS exhaust manifolds with 2.5 inch exhaust with an x pipe.

I am really pleased with the results of the LS swap so far. Like I said, this motor is not as much peak HP, but the torque difference down low is a lot of fun, and I am REALLY enjoying driving the car without having to worry about something breaking.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Amazing how when its simple and right, even if it doesn't feel as quick, its waaaay more fun to drive. And the not having to fix it constantly thing is pretty sweet. Nice and clean
Old 07-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by autocomman
Amazing how when its simple and right, even if it doesn't feel as quick, its waaaay more fun to drive. And the not having to fix it constantly thing is pretty sweet. Nice and clean
Amen...

Most of my Nissan forum buddies were supportive and complimentary, but a couple of the purists gave me **** about push rods, old technology, etc, etc.

My thing right now is that simplicity is a huge plus at this point in my car's history.

The VG is a nice motor, and people have turned some amazing horsepower out of them, but, front and rear main seals, 4 valve covers, two oil filled VTC gears, 4 cam seals, an oil pump that bolts to the block externally, and an oil pan sealed with RTV means a lot of places to leak.

A timing belt with 8 points of contact means lots of opportunities for breakage.

After all the **** I went through with that motor, I am tickled to have a reliable push rod v8 in the car.

Quick Reply: My VG30DETT to LS1 Z (pic heavy)