Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsx in a foxbody using the ford A/C wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lsx in a foxbody using the ford A/C wiring?

Ok so my swap is finished except for getting the a/c working. I know I need to get lines made up which is no problem
I came across this post from a guy by the name of brains

Originally Posted by Brains
You have two options -- GM style PCM controlled, Ford style cycling switch controlled.

Using the PCM, the A/C switch wires up to the LS1 PCM and the PCM cycles the compressor. You'll also need the LS1's A/C pressure sensor plumbed into the line right before the orifice tube (high pressure side).

The other option is the Ford route, where you'll leave everything alone and just move the Ford A/C compressor wires from the drivers side to wherever you mount your compressor.

I'm going one step farther (like everything else on my car) and swapping the A/C evaporator cores. My A/C system will be 100% from an LS1 car, minus a couple custom lines so they'll reach. A Mustang's engine bay is about a foot longer than an F-car
I was wanting to do the FORD route since it seems like it would be easier for me.

Right now everything from the control ***** on the dash to the firewall is ford and everything from the firewall to the front bumper is from a 2001 camaro..

Has anybody done the FORD route before and if so can u explain to me exactly what needs to be done?

Last edited by edub80; 07-29-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: shouldve of proof read before submitting lol
Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

That quote from brains came from this thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...862&styleid=27
Old 07-29-2014, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not done it. I have everything mounted I just need to get the hoses made up. I want to use the ford wiring also but I am woried that the car will shut off if the ac is turned on at idle.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sick_46
I have not done it. I have everything mounted I just need to get the hoses made up. I want to use the ford wiring also but I am woried that the car will shut off if the ac is turned on at idle.
See when I had my a/c in my camaro my idle was set at 925rpms with a/c off and 950 with a/c on
Now in my coupe my idle is at 950 rpms... I don't think it will dip any if at all at the most 50rpms...

I've been searching wiring diagrams and all... I've found the green/purple wire on the driver side fender well to be only hot when a/c is on... But my thoughts are I need to find the other wire for the ac compresser which I think is a ground wire... If I can find where it is I wonder if I could wire those 2 wires to a camaro a/c compresser plug... And if that will work or not
Old 07-29-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The option you are talking about really has to deal with you deciding on what you are using for a compressor and if you are going to wire it to the pcm. I assume you want to wire this through the PCM. If you are using the Camaro compressor it is a variable compressor and you will need to wire it like a Camaro and you will need a Pressure sensor. If you are using a fixed compressor then you will need to wire like a truck or an Express van and program the PCM for a fixed compressor. There is no magical Ford vs Chevy it is just an A/C request the rest is based on the compressor style that will dictate how it will be wired and programmed.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
The option you are talking about really has to deal with you deciding on what you are using for a compressor and if you are going to wire it to the pcm. I assume you want to wire this through the PCM. If you are using the Camaro compressor it is a variable compressor and you will need to wire it like a Camaro and you will need a Pressure sensor. If you are using a fixed compressor then you will need to wire like a truck or an Express van and program the PCM for a fixed compressor. There is no magical Ford vs Chevy it is just an A/C request the rest is based on the compressor style that will dictate how it will be wired and programmed.
I'm using a Fbody compressor... Do u care to elaborate on how I need to wire it.. and I mean dummy it down because I really don't know just a whole hell of a lot about wiring lol
Old 07-29-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look at your Ford factory wiring. You will typically have either an automatic request (12 volt source when you turn on the fan) or a A/C button that turns on the A/C. That is your A/C request that will be the same A/C request for the Camaro PCM wiring. The compressor and pressure sensor are wired as shown in the Camaro wiring diagram. I assume the factory Ford setup uses a fixed compressor and a pressure switch (on-off). The switch needs to be replaced with a pressure sensor (reads compressor pressure from 0-5 volts). The factory wiring is different for each type since you are using a Camaro wiring harness (assuming), you should be good to go. I am not familiar with Fords valve setup I assume it is probably an expansion valve or a orifice tube. Either way they need to be replaced with a 134 compatible valve. The system needs to then be charged like a normal variable system which is different than a fixed system.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

So what happens if you wire a f body compressor up like the ford compressor was wired?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's is not what make the compressor comes off of it is the compressor type. The motor doesn't know or care it is just a load on it. The load is handled differently the fixed compressor will cycle -turn on and off. It uses the pressure switch to perform that function. The variable adjusts it's stroke automatically based on the load or pressure of the system. The variable compressor does not cycle it uses the sensor to measure the pressure or the load the compressor is putting on the system. The pcm's are wired differently for each type and the OS is programmed for the type. The PCM handles the compressors differently for each type to compensate for the load on the engine. There is a lot of misinformation about the variable compressors. A lot of people believe that they don't work properly or that they will burn up if they are used. Neither is true you just need to understand how they work. The valve portion used is the same for both types of compressors. Just take a look for a orifice tube for a truck (fixed) and a Camaro (variable) they will list the same ones.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

So its ok to wire up a variable compressor to a pressure switch like ford uses?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sick_46
So its ok to wire up a variable compressor to a pressure switch like ford uses?
I want to know too

Quick Reply: lsx in a foxbody using the ford A/C wiring?