Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

The beauty of a third mount further away from the crank (head) is you get a bunch more leverage to help control motion - makes the life of mounts in the traditional location much easier.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
The beauty of a third mount further away from the crank (head) is you get a bunch more leverage to help control motion - makes the life of mounts in the traditional location much easier.
I hear you there. I used a 1" ratcheting strap when I had my RX7. It allowed for movement, but still held everything in place under hard power. I think I hooked it somewhere to the Corvette alternator bracket. I will monitor the situation and see if any further refinement is needed. Right now the Cougar is not exactly experiencing a hard, racing life.

Andrew
Old 01-06-2019, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Motown 454
"I am up over 700 subscribers on my YouTube channel! I really appreciate everyone's support."

No problem, we appreciate you posting all this interesting stuff.
I wish more people found it more interesting. I am not trying to be Cleatus McFarland, but just having fun...It's amazing how hard it is to grow viewership. It's really just an experiment for me to see how it goes. The video editing takes a shockingly long time.

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Hey Andrew, the new Hooker 4th-gen clamshells are thicker gage material than the cheap replacement brands out there and they bolt together. The Hooker/ Holley poly inserts will also last 10 times longer than a rubber insert at power levels similar to yours.
Thanks Todd. The Holley mounts are definitely on the list of possible solutions, should it be needed!

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
Yeah I have the AC Delco mounts and even though they're made in China at least they have rivets to hold them together.
Looking at the various mounts that are available, it makes me think that most are made at the same factory and put in different boxes...LOL

Originally Posted by gofastwclass

What is wrong with poly engine mounts? I use them a lot and prefer them to rubber.
I've had the exact same solution on those clam shell type mounts and it lasted a very long time.
Nothing wrong with poly mounts, except I think the rubber ones tend to isolate vibration better. Hard as it might be to believe, I do strive for a level of refinement even in the jalopy that is the Cougar. You wouldn't believe how smooth the driveline is when going down the road at 80mph. I can put a finger on the shifter and feel almost nothing. Part of that is the dual CV driveshaft and I think the other part of that are the rubber engine and trans mounts. Keep in mind that at 80mph, my driveshaft is spinning 4500rpm.

Andrew
Old 01-06-2019, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

For all those that follow along (I suspect Andrew knows all this) - ratchetstrap constrains in one direction (acceleration or deceleration) but not both. A fixed mount is even better. Best of all worlds in my opinion - soft, rubber mounts OEM style for a nice job of quelling NVH under most circumstances and a third mount high on the motor with a round, poly bush. As the motor bobs around under normal use, you get enough give to keep things happy. But when you really rip on it - the 3rd mount limits how much the motor can rotate -- which is what tears up the soft OEM mounts. I get a smug sense of self satisfaction knowing that a couple of lb-ft more of torque are going into the driveline to propel me, rather than going into twisting the rubber mounts.

Ah, enough. Good to know the Coug is safely and modestly terrorizing the streets again.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
For all those that follow along (I suspect Andrew knows all this) - ratchetstrap constrains in one direction (acceleration or deceleration) but not both. A fixed mount is even better. .....
Well, better and worse, depending on the intentions. A fixed mount essentially turns the rubber mounts into solid mount, if there is no accommodation for a little slop in the fixed mount fastening arrangement. I like the soft mount because it limits movement in the torque direction but allows the normal vibration of the engine to still be absorbed by the rubber mounts.

The point being is that the two methods have their merit based on the intended function and use.

Andrew
Old 01-06-2019, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Picture worth a thousand words - hopefully. "Fixed" perhaps a misnomer. Engine free to move essentially in all directions - but movement much more limited when the motor tries to torque. What I can tell you is that this set up, with all poly mounts on the LS3, is noticeably more refined (quieter, less harsh, MUCH less vibration) than the 5.0L Ford was with traditional OEM rubber clam shell mounts. I learned a lot about this dealing with AWD and FWD engines/transaxles - which have to manage NVH while constraining the engine more -- and almost always have 3 or even 4 motor mounts. If you can manage NVH the way you want, LESS movement of the engine is always a step in a better direction.

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)-y8nnsug.jpg
Old 01-06-2019, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 502 Likes on 326 Posts

Yeah, I'm eventually going to something to mine as well. I used to use a hydraulic torque damper the would provide soft damping until it bottoms out at big torque.

Something like this:

Old 01-06-2019, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
...I am not trying to be Cleatus McFarland...
As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing!

I realize at my age, I'm probably outside the target demographic of 12 to mid twenty-somethings. But I find most of his "in character" shenanigans insufferable. The fake redneck accent, the "doin' it for Dale," the "bald eagles," the "oh Mylanta," the "Bartle Skeets," the "let 'er rip 'tater chip," the "twin turbskies" etc, etc.

I find myself turning the volume down or just not watching. He's not an idiot. I've heard him mention law school once or twice. I guess he's just smart enough to know what the Youtube generation finds entertaining and capitalizes on it.

Obviously, I'm in the minority. I've been told he's making upwards of a million or more annually from his channel. I just think it would be more watchable if he simply stuck to the builds and gave the rest of the buffoonery and catch phrases a rest.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing!

I realize at my age, I'm probably outside the target demographic of 12 to mid twenty-somethings. But I find most of his "in character" shenanigans insufferable. The fake redneck accent, the "doin' it for Dale," the "bald eagles," the "oh Mylanta," the "Bartle Skeets," the "let 'er rip 'tater chip," the "twin turbskies" etc, etc.

I find myself turning the volume down or just not watching. He's not an idiot. I've heard him mention law school once or twice. I guess he's just smart enough to know what the Youtube generation finds entertaining and capitalizes on it.

Obviously, I'm in the minority. I've been told he's making upwards of a million or more annually from his channel. I just think it would be more watchable if he simply stuck to the builds and gave the rest of the buffoonery and catch phrases a rest.
I wholeheartedly AGREE!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I guess you guys need to add me to the geezer club. I only saw part of one video ages ago and tried to remove that guy from my brain because I felt it was taking valuable space. I guess it worked because I had to Google the name.

Andrew, I was kind of disappointed that I was already subscribed to you. I forgot when you posted the video before this one that I had ages ago and figured a plus one would have been nice.

As a fellow guy with a YouTube channel I was absolutely floored when I started making videos how long it takes to setup, film, edit, make titles, find music and generally get stuff looking decently professional. I saw a thing somewhere that every minute of video had x amount of time behind the scenes work to create it. I think that is my the vlog thing is so popular, you have few if any edits just turn on the camera and go.

If you're OCD to any degree which I can tell you are and I know I am, the vlog thing won't work because you need things to be a certain way. Since I want to show what I'm building but I don't want a simple time lapse in the corner showing me running about like mad in my entirely too small and cluttered work space. I want to show the process and close ups of the work which means I sometimes feel I spend as much time setting up camera angles as I do working. Add in editing what I shot and recording some sort of audio describing what I'm doing so it makes sense to someone outside my head.

Reminds me, I have some video to edit and upload...
Old 01-06-2019, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had a few sets of afternarket clamshell type mounts fail like that. If I can't get (or don't want to pay for), GM mounts I put in the poly inserts. I really can't say I've seen any greater harshness over the semi failed mounts
Old 01-07-2019, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cleatus is doing what he should be doing, and being quite successful at it. He caters to a certain demographic and makes entertainment that happens to revolve around cars and racing. If I tried to do something like that, it would be laughable.

I am more inspired by channels like This Old Tony (he exploded in about 2 years). It helps a lot that he is funny. I don't know anything about machining, but Tony sure inspires me to try!

I drove the Cougar today and the engine is moving around A LOT at idle. If Yount is right (I don't doubt that he is) about less engine movement being better, then maybe I will bite the bullet and get the heavy duty Holley mounts with the poly inserts.

Andrew
Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Just to be clear - I think I said less is better IF you can manage NVH the way you desire. The reason I went the way I did (reasonably compliant motor mounts with a very compliant torque mount) is because all my experiences with poly engine mounts did NOT live up to my expectations. I tried poly on the 5.0L in the Volvo and on one of my Subaru WRX's. In both cases, too much vibration for my liking. So much so that in both cases I pulled them out and put the stockers back in. The set up with the LS is a pair of softer poly mounts and a stiffer poly torque mount. Smooth and quiet -- and it barely rotates at all under torque. If you blip the throttle just sitting there, you can't see it move at all. With an actual load on it, I'm sure it moves a little - but not much. Pic of the motor mounts below - the black poly is quite a bit softer than the blue bush in the torque mount.

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)-xh4rnxi.jpg
Old 01-07-2019, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe I'll rig up a tie down strap temporarily for testing. I'll try to show the engine movement at idle in a video. Maybe compare with and without the strap. Might be an interesting video topic.

Andrew
Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

If you have 2 straps, see if you can constrain it from each side - rocks the opposite way under deceleration.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I completely understand what he is doing and though it works, we aren't his chosen demographic. It's no different than when I played music, it's a job and you go home to be yourself.

Back when every vehicle I had owned to that point was one owner away from the scrapper I never thought about NVH. My friends and I put solid or poly mounts on every custom vehicle we had or helped build with rubber being for "old men."

Once I realized that the vibrations, squeaks and rattles (including exhaust drone) get really annoying and make the difference between a car you want to keep forever and one you want to immediately sell to the lowest bidder my attitude changed. If you have the space Michael's idea is essentially how all new cars are designed. What you are creating is a system with soft, compliant rubber isolation for NVH with a positive locking mechanism that engages under high torque situations. The key is decoupling the positive locking mechanism during light cruise and idle to keep the bride's teeth from chattering and your nerves from shattering.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Porsche a couple of years back (maybe still) offered electro-hydraulic motor mounts that sensed what the driver was doing and reacted with Porsche’s idea of an appropriate amount of rigidity. I’m hearing Styx’ “Too Much Time On My Hands” playing...

gofast is a poet. Solid/stiff mounts can also rip/tear/break metal bits. Some thought to where/how they attach is recommended.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Cleatus is doing what he should be doing...
It's somewhat coincidental how I became aware of the channel in the first place; The shop they use for much of their fabrication work is just minutes from my home.

I happened to be driving by and saw the bodyless Corvette ("Leroy") getting an elaborate cage built and thought, "wow...Roadkill has really started a trend." I stopped and inquired about the car. They told me it belongs to "Cleetus McFarland," somewhat expecting me to react as if they'd told me it belonged to Tom Cruise. I just stared blankly and asked "who's Cleetus McFarland?"

I went home and did some GoogleFu and that's when I discovered the channel and the fact that he's located in my area. SamCracc is also nearby.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Argh - sloppy, Roadkill, Cleetus....man, I’m old.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I subscribed to you guys Its a little sucky to work so hard for so few viewers but I personally do it for my two boys. I hope they will enjoy them later in life

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)