Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

65 Chevelle Suggestions on adapter plates and motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 65 Chevelle Suggestions on adapter plates and motor mounts

I am about to start buying some parts for my first swap. I have been doing quite a bit of reading on here and other sites and am getting a bit overwhelmed on just the motor adapter plates that have multiple positions and the motor mounts.

I have an LQ4 w/ the 4L80E that will be going into a 65 Chevelle A body. I have ready about dirty dingo plates, but did not see any motor mounts from there on the website. I have also read about the Edelbrock Plates w/ the Energy Suspension short and wide mounts. This member has a great looking install with the Edelbrock mounts, but his was done back in 2011.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html

I would have to assume parts just continue to get better and better for these swaps. So I thought I would ask here which adapter plates and mounts would you guys suggest for this application?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Holley 302-2 pan is a must ...........Build around that pan....
Old 10-07-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I used the Dirty Dingo plates as well. They have several different types of plates, but all you need is a 1" setback plate to put the motor in the original bellhousing position. I used the Dingo Double D mounts.

http://dirtydingo.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_354_335

Have you already purchased a new oil pan? I used the stock F-body pan and modified my crossmember, but I've heard that the Holley 302-2 pan works well with the A body cars.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Launching!

I am going to call Dingo this morning and get the adapter plates coming. Once I have the plates I will also need the motor mounts correct?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Correct, unless you've already got good motor mounts on the car. You just need the standard early model motor mounts. I used the Energy suspension mounts.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Sounds like everyone uses energy suspension. I will call dingo and then energy suspension this afternoon.

Now I need to figure out what I am going to do with the truck accessory drive system. I am think of upgrading to the vette system. Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I did it again to an 64-65 chevelle I would use everything holley I could , mounts , plates , oil pan , exhaust ,ac brackets ,the vett FEAD is going to cost you extra , I dont see a need for it ,I would use truck or standard f body FEAD , and I would not use the 96 impala gas tank again , cutting the trunk sucks
Old 10-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Blanco
Sounds like everyone uses energy suspension. I will call dingo and then energy suspension this afternoon.

Now I need to figure out what I am going to do with the truck accessory drive system. I am think of upgrading to the vette system. Thoughts?
I used the Vette front drive for aesthetic and fit reasons. It is a much better looking system than the truck system in my opinion and it clears everything nicely.

I used the MAST Motorsports pan and Doug's D3338 headers. The I made my own frame stands for the motors mounts to get the engine exactly where I wanted it.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the Holley accessory bracket kit. I really don't think there is another kit that comes close to fit and finish as holley. Another option would be to buy the complete GM corvette accessory kit, but you will need to replace your truck dampener to use it.

When you talk with Dingo do not order the accessory drive brackets from him. His kit flips the power steering pump upside down and it interferes with the steering box.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Launching!

I think I am going to just go with Holley after much debate. They just seem to have a lot to offer and they are more a one stop shop.

Do you guys have part #'s for
Adapter plates
Energy Suspension mounts

Is there a recommended speed shop I should call to get all these parts or do I call Holley and Energy Suspension directly? FYI, I am located in Houston.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ijimmy
If I did it again to an 64-65 chevelle I would use everything holley I could , mounts , plates , oil pan , exhaust ,ac brackets ,the vett FEAD is going to cost you extra , I dont see a need for it ,I would use truck or standard f body FEAD , and I would not use the 96 impala gas tank again , cutting the trunk sucks
Where do you guys buy your Vette or F-Body FEAD's? I don't think I want to run the truck FEAD just due to the looks and possibly clearance.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can order all your parts from summitracing.com. The Holley accessory kits fits nicely in the A-body cars. The F-body setup does not fit very well due to the low mount alternator.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1964SS
You can order all your parts from summitracing.com. The Holley accessory kits fits nicely in the A-body cars. The F-body setup does not fit very well due to the low mount alternator.

So the Holley accessory kit for the a-body includes the accessories or it is just the bracket(s)? If not where do I find all the accessories themselves?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can order the kits as brackets only or with the accessories included. If you've already got the truck accessories then it may be cheaper to buy the brackets and then the vette power steering pump seperate since your alternator will work with the holley kit. You would have to compare prices to see.

Quick Reply: 65 Chevelle Suggestions on adapter plates and motor mounts