Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 C20 Long Bed LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 C20 Long Bed LS Swap

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm from El Dorado, Kansas.

Anyways, I've got an '86 C20 Long bed that currently has a TH350 and a 350 with a cracked engine block...

The truck is currently sitting in the back lot of a friend's shop, until Spring time when I get some money. I'm wanting to do a 4.8 or 5.3 Swap. I can pick up a 5.3 with a 4l60e for $1250. Or, I can get the engine for around $550 for a 4.8 or 5.3 with computers and wiring harness, and the trans for $950 with Torque Converter and flexplate.

First off, What's all needed for the 4l80e to go in place of the 4l60e?
- Yoke
- Crossmember
- 4l60e-4l80e upgrade harness (Speartech)
- computer reflash***
- Flexplate (Check, if buying the 4l80)
- Torque Converter (Check, if buying the 4l80)

***The shop my truck is sitting behind has a few 6.0/4l80e with 4 WHEEL DRIVE transmissions. I don't want 4WD. Would I be able to buy one of those computers off him, and use it on the 4l80e without having to reflash the computer?

Next up... Turbo. Hence 4l80e swap.

There's a 98-02 F-Body Turbo kit for $1,600 From CX Racing with a T76 turbo, Intercooler, and all the piping needed. Ya'll don't suppose that would fit in my giant engine bay with a little bit of modification? Would be cheaper than, say a Trick performance that's $2,900 without a turbo, but specified for my truck. I'm behind a shop with a welder, and plenty of metal, and fabbing stuff isn't a problem for me.

I'd be upgrading the turbo to a BorgWarner of some sort as well after a little time, as I don't think that T76 will fit the bill for long.

Thanks for any feedback one may have!

-Nathan

Quick Reply: '86 C20 Long Bed LS Swap