Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOTICE - All New GM LS Based Engines are Spun at the Factory

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NOTICE - All New GM LS Based Engines are Spun at the Factory

Getting ready to install a new oil pan and I pulled the factory pan last night on my new LS3 and noticed that there was oil in the filter and oil in the pan. The GM dealer that I bought it from said that these engines are not run at the factory before shipping. I was not willing to accept that answer, so I called GM customer service and talked to GMPP directly. The customer rep told me that ALL LS based engines are spun at the factory with a full charge of oil in them. After the spin test, the oil is dumped and the engine is shipped. I had about 1/2" of oil left in the pan which is probably the remnant oil from the top end after it drained. I did find some junk in the bottom of the pan (fine dust and some silver flakes) which appears to be normal.

GM said to run Mobil 1 from day one when breaking in the engine. No special break in oil required.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Oil

I purchased my '05 Silverado new in Dec of '04. When I had about 2K on it I called the dealer about changing the oil before a trip. They pointed out that an early oil change would void the warranty and to wait for the "change oil" light to come on. That led me to think that GM used a special oil for break-in.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting that they spin them. I bet they watch an oil pressure gage. Also I wonder if they pre-oil the motor before spinning them?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

I am sure it is for liability purposes.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched a video one time that showed a manufacture, not sure if it was GM, spinning a line of motors with a special fixture and electric motors.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by old66tiger
Getting ready to install a new oil pan and I pulled the factory pan last night on my new LS3 and noticed that there was oil in the filter and oil in the pan. The GM dealer that I bought it from said that these engines are not run at the factory before shipping. I was not willing to accept that answer, so I called GM customer service and talked to GMPP directly. The customer rep told me that ALL LS based engines are spun at the factory with a full charge of oil in them. After the spin test, the oil is dumped and the engine is shipped. I had about 1/2" of oil left in the pan which is probably the remnant oil from the top end after it drained. I did find some junk in the bottom of the pan (fine dust and some silver flakes) which appears to be normal.

GM said to run Mobil 1 from day one when breaking in the engine. No special break in oil required.
Yep, same here on my LS3/480 crate motor. You don't by any chance have the low profile corvette pan you need to sell?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by old66tiger
I am sure it is for liability purposes.
More likely for storage purposes.They have no idea how long and where that engine will be sitting,best to have at least a skim of oil on everything.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I think that waiting til your" change oil" light comes on is a joke.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

I don't know if this pan is corvette or not. I can send you a picture and we can work something out.

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Yep, same here on my LS3/480 crate motor. You don't by any chance have the low profile corvette pan you need to sell?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I think that waiting til your" change oil" light comes on is a joke.
Not to hijack this thread, but I agree, seems like it makes you run the oil a loooong time. I dont have a light in my '33, but can reset the oil life monitor with my scanner. I did that then took it on a 5800 mile road trip and when I got back, it said I still had 40% oil life left. I changed it after that. If for nothing more than peace of mind.

Quick Reply: NOTICE - All New GM LS Based Engines are Spun at the Factory