Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 LS1 harness modification. off road rig questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 LS1 harness modification. off road rig questions.

I am building a off road rig, and I am powering it with a LS1 out of a 01 f body the harness and ECM i believe are out of a 01 caprice. I don't need any gauges, cooling fan control, or any other non engine management circuits, I just need the engine to run. is this a relitivly easy job, or should i pay the 250 to have it done? I also have the alternator out of the F-body, does the ECM control that too? I cant seem to fnd a pinout and diagram for the bare harness and what i need...
Old 10-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dragrcr65
I am building a off road rig, and I am powering it with a LS1 out of a 01 f body the harness and ECM i believe are out of a 01 caprice. I don't need any gauges, cooling fan control, or any other non engine management circuits, I just need the engine to run. is this a relitivly easy job, or should i pay the 250 to have it done? I also have the alternator out of the F-body, does the ECM control that too? I cant seem to fnd a pinout and diagram for the bare harness and what i need...
I would say you need to really do some digging first. I don't believe there was ever an 01' Caprice, but basically all of that is irreverent. If you have an engine, harness and ECM, you have everything you need to make the vehicle run. Depending on what pin out you use, the alternator should have 2 wires coming from the plug going to the ECM to control the excite field inside the alternator, and there should be one larger lead from the stud on the back of the alternator to a positive stud or directly to the battery positive. When the engine starts to rotate, the ECM will verify that is it running, and apply voltage to the excite field, basically turning on/off the alternator to regulate voltage. If you don't need gauges, eFans, or etc., then you just won't hook up the ECM to run those options. The only thing I can think of is that you'd want to run off the LS ECM would be your fuel pump relay, otherwise you could run a hot wire relay so the fuel relay turns on with the ignition switch, not the ECM, otherwise you have everything you need, you just need to remove the vehicle anti-theft system, or VATS, which will disable the engine from starting if it doesn't sense anti-theft equipment or original program key. LT1swap.com can pretty much take care of the basics for you, like f-body pinouts, VATS re-flashing, etc., you just need to do your research and tell him what to turn off/on, and he can take care of the rest.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on LT1Swap.com If you have an electrical background and don't mind doing the research its not bad at all. But, 250 is well worth it. And if you are not 100% sure what the components came out of, it gets quite a bit more difficult.

Quick Reply: 01 LS1 harness modification. off road rig questions.