Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 s14 240sx road race car

Old 11-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 s14 240sx road race car

What's up Ls1tech. I have a 1997 240sx with a tube frame front end and ls1 swap. This car has been through numerous engine set-ups and has been a track car for a long time now. All of the fabrication was done by us, at Defined Autoworks. The engine is an ls1 from a 2002 camaro ss. The ls1 is a mild build and makes 393.3 hp, and 360tq to the wheels on a dynojet dyno. Im just running an ls6 intake, ASA cam, ls6 valve springs (soon to be changed), ls7 lifters, ported stock TB, and Hooker 1-7/8 long tube headers. All of the other modifications are just to strengthen the oil system. I am using a super speedway Nascar radiator, and oil cooler set-up. The cooling system is bullet proof to the max, I cant get this car hot no matter the outside temp. Im also happy with the weight of the car, it's 2630 without driver. The car ended up being %53 front heave with the driver and a rear ballast box, which is what I like to see with static distribution. The n/a 3 rotor was rear heavy and gave the car some weird handling characteristics. All in all I like the Ls platform and can't wait to keep evolving it. My main goal is to compete in small enduro races. So power will not be a main concern. Reliability will rule all my modification decisions.

Here is the build of the chassis, and more on the history of the car's build.

http://nissanroadracing.com/showthre...light=EfiniRX7

I sold the rotary a year ago, because I was offered a price I could not turn down. I was then in need of an engine, so ls it was. I just wanted to try an Ls out and see what they are all about. I am impressed with the mid corner grunt the engine makes. Im still a bit skeptical with the reliability compared to my n/a 3 rotor, but it's proving to be a strong engine so far.

On dyno at Dyno Tune motorsports by Columbus Ohio.

Idle video, Im running the ASA cam. This cam is amazing on the race track, I love it.

Another video of first start-up. The tube front makes maintenance a dream.

I have some on track videos I will post, and the dyno chart. I am really happy with how the car performs on a big track so far. Im really surprised at how it performs on an autox track. I will be updating this thread as the car evolves. Valve train upgrades are on the list to complete before spring arrives.

Last edited by LSfdRX7; 11-09-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Super clean setup. These GM motors keep impressing me the more I research. Been in the 240sx scene since 2000 and have gone from Ka; SR fully built; 800rwhp 2jz setup. Though my car is still under the knife I have no doubt it will be a stout setup with 5.3 LM7 setup.

Can't wait to see more progress on your setup. Keep up the good work on her and so glad to see someone driving their 240 for once instead of parking lot pimping with 19" rims and super stretched tires and -11 degrees of camber like what it's become.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice s14 dude. What mount are you using? Custom?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by laurentj23
Nice s14 dude. What mount are you using? Custom?
Yeah it's custom.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Teching In

That only looks like fun for days. Great build!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Here is the dyno chart. Stock ls1, with a few bolt on parts, and ASA cam. Im really pleased with the power and torque band, it works perfect on the track.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

very cool car. Looks like you've been solidly bitten by the LSx bug. Welcome aboard. Check out the Road Race section when you get a chance. I think you'll like what you see.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Badass S14. Are you guys located near Columbus, OH?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by roswald0511
Badass S14. Are you guys located near Columbus, OH?
We are in Pataskala, outside of columbus.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to ask, how did you end up choosing the ASA cam? Is it for it's ability to run stock springs and give long spring life? Cuz otherwise I don't see how such a low lift cam is beneficial?

I would understand on a daily driver it would be nice to get 100k miles out of your $60 springs instead of having to replace $250 springs every 15k miles. But on a racecar? A mid 600s lift cam would provide a huge power benefit everywhere in the range over low 500s.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redtan
I have to ask, how did you end up choosing the ASA cam? Is it for it's ability to run stock springs and give long spring life? Cuz otherwise I don't see how such a low lift cam is beneficial?

I would understand on a daily driver it would be nice to get 100k miles out of your $60 springs instead of having to replace $250 springs every 15k miles. But on a racecar? A mid 600s lift cam would provide a huge power benefit everywhere in the range over low 500s.
I chose the ASA cam due to how easy it is on valve train parts. I wanted a cam with a lower lift and slow ramps. The power is more than enough for the class I run, I even had to add weight to the car to meet minimum power to weight (my car only weighs 2630). Honestly a stock cam would do the trick, but I like what the asa cam did to the power band and torque.

Max Hp is low on the list of priorities for this engine, reliability and part availability are much higher on the priority list. I do know you can make so much more power with a custom grind cam. I know a cam grinder can make me a cam ideal for road racing, but the ability to go to jegs and buy parts in stock on the shelf is important. If I have a failure on the track I want to be able to buy parts same day if possible (i.e. if I break a valve train component in qualifying and the engine can continue, then Im still in the race with in stock off the shelf parts). Also another thing I watch for is power per cubic inch. The more power per cubic inch I make, the more stress per cubic inch I make. I only want as much power as I need to keep reliability up. Since most classes in NASA are power to weight based taking weight out is more advantageous for many reasons. Less weight means less stress on the brakes, tires, and steering components. Less weight also makes the car change direction faster/better. If I put more tire and aero on the car to run super unlimited then I would need an engine making all of it's possible HP.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

I love the car and it's purpose built so that makes it even better. I'm an S14 fan myself. I currently own two s14's and one s13 coupe. Two of mine are Ls swapped. I would love to see a pic of the under carriage to get an idea how you ran your exhaust.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

If I am not mistaken the car is/was for sale on Zilvia.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great build. I'm a fan of the built to live combos. On that note did you really put rotary and reliability in the same paragraph? Don't look too far into that comment. It may seem I'm on a kill rotor path (bc I'm swapping an RX8).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls1 s14 240sx road race car