Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple quick questions

Old 11-13-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple quick questions

OK, I am new to the LS engines and am an old school guy when it comes to engines. I tried to find the answers on the forums here but didn't really see any hard answers on this. So thanks in advance for the advice.

I am going to install a cast iron blocked LS 6.0 and 4L80 trany out of an early 2000 model 3/4 to 1 ton truck. It will go into a 97 S10.

I am going to run a carb and the MSD box for the coils. I want to get the truck running pretty quick so I don't want to build a race motor just yet. I will buy the parts I need over a little time due to budget restraints right now for a good build later.

This is going to be a drag truck. Might drive it on the street but its not a daily driver. So radical is good. This is to play with while I gather what I need for the real build.

I want to know what the best cam I can get for the most HP with the stock valve train. I will change the valve springs if needed and probably the converter. I just don't want to replace, valves, rockers, do head work ect right now. Also what size carb is recommended. So all I want to do on day one is install a good cam, intake and carb, headers and let it rip.

The final plan is to build a full race motor for the strip. But that's later on.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Springs, retainers, locks, seats, seals and push rods are a must with any respectable cam. Timing chain and oil pump too. How high do you want to rev? Where do you want the power band? What RPM stall? The thing is to assemble that list and talk to a cam grinder. There are several good ones. Intended use and symphony of other parts will determine which one is best and not an internet poll IMHO.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, all I am wanting right now is a good cam swap for a little more power. Since I am going to an intake and carb setup I figured I would also swap the cam for something a little more aggressive than the stock cam. This first engine is going to be a pull out with no rebuild. Just something to get the truck going and play with while I gather the parts for the real build. I'll also run the stock 4l80 trany for right now. Probably wont buy a converter for it since I will spend well over a grand for the race converter.

If I do all of the extra work for a true race build then I would do all of that research.
Again, I'm not new to engines. I build 1000+ HP big blocks before we spray it. The last strip car I had was an IHRA Top Dragster that ran mid 7's at 180 mph on motor with a Reher Morrison 565. But that's an older type chevy. I don't know a lot about the newer style blocks and heads and that's why I will do more research before I build a full race engine. I expect for the full race motor I will shoot for about 600+ hp from it then spray it another 150-300. Stall will depend on where this engines power band is best for max torque at launch and then use the HP for the big end. Our local track went to 1/8th mile and that's when I sold my dragster. I didn't build it to run short track. Wasn't very fun. But a small tire S10 might just be a little fun.

I do appreciate the advise if someone has done this before. Otherwise I'll just ask Comp and a few other cam companies which cam they recommend for a stock longblock.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like no one has a clue on this I guess. I'll be calling the cam companies and checking with my buddy that builds drag cars and see what they say.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If it was mine.... I'd buy the best converter I could now (SS4000) and leave the motor stock. Best bang for the buck and it will still work with your race parts down the line.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:31 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Taxman, welcome to LS1tech!

You'll get better answers here in the conversions section.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Might interest you.
http://www.hotrod.com/cars/project-v...4-short-block/
Old 11-21-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, Thanks for the help. I wasn't trying to be a smart *** but I own 2 businesses and have to, and am used to doing things fast. LOL So if I ask something I am used to getting direct answers pretty quick. If not I find a different route for my answers or needs.

Again, Thanks. I'm headed to that topic now.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You'll get a lot more relevant responses with a title like "Cam for 500hp carbed 6.0".
90% of the people who can help you never even read threads with titles like yours.

Originally Posted by Taxman20
Ok, Thanks for the help. I wasn't trying to be a smart *** but I own 2 businesses and have to, and am used to doing things fast. LOL So if I ask something I am used to getting direct answers pretty quick. If not I find a different route for my answers or needs.

Again, Thanks. I'm headed to that topic now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Couple quick questions