Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Porsche 996 Cabriolet LS2 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Porsche 996 Cabriolet LS2 Conversion

Well this is my first LSX swap, in the past I have completed a 1980 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser 350 chevy swap. And also helped a buddy swap a 4.3 GM V6 in to a 1985 Toyota 4X4 mini truck. I have also built or have helped out with 12 or more Toyota Land Cruiser or Toyota 4X4 Mini Truck builds. So, I know my way around in the garage.

Here is the background on this build, about a year ago I was really wanting to buy a newer Camaro or Corvette roadster. I talked with my good friend Jason with Alper Motorsports, about what kind of improvements he could help me out with to get some more power out of one of these stock GM cars. He told me about Renegade Hybrids, beings he knew I have always wanted a Porsche 911. I took a look at their web site and my mind started spinning. I started searching Ebay, Craigslist and any other auto trader sites for a 1999 to 2005 Porsche 911 Cabriolet with high miles, a blown engine or no engine. I would hit it hard for a few weeks and just lose interest, beings most where to high priced or all the way on the east coast. But, I kept at the search. I really wanted to buy one right, where I could be in the car done at about $20K.

So late in August I log in to Ebay and this 2001 pops up that is a theft recovery, where they stole the engine??? I look over the photo's and do some research and decide to make an offer, well the deal came together. The next weekend I was driving to Northern California to pick up my new project car. The problem is I still had a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser project in the garage that I needed to get finished and sold to help fund this project.

One of the Ebay add Photo's.

Another showing the lack of an engine and the prefect place for a new LS!!!

Looking a little stink bug in the back with no engine.

Another showing how clean the car is, looks like it was stole out of someones garage.

Picture of the Land Cruiser that I just got sold this past weekend, to fund this LS conversion project!!!

I between working 60 plus hours a week, finishing and selling the Land Cruiser. I was able to pick up a 2005 LS2 out of a GTO, found it on Ebay. My friend Jason has talked me into rebuilding the LS2 with new SRP forged pistons, Lunati Forged H Beam rods on the stock crank. Stock 243 heads and intake. New high volume/ high pressure oil pump, Katech C5-R timing chain, Lunati cam and valve springs and a Trunion upgrade on the rockers. Also boring the stock TB to 93mm and replacing the old MAF with the new LS3 style. I will also be running all Alper Motorsport accessory bracket and pulleys.

A picture of the LS2, before I tore it down.

I just picked up my Renegade Hybrids conversion kit yesterday and will post more pics of it and my other parts at another time. Plus give you all a little more info on the other things that are planned, as I will not be running the electric water pump or PS pump like the standard Renegade conversion does.

UPDATE!!!!
Like a stated before I just got my Land Cruiser sold and the cash is in hand to start buying parts. It has been like Christmas, every day boxes of parts are showing up. Plus I have been getting my garage ready to get the Porsche in and start some work.

Here is the Renegade Hybrid Kit, I picked it up on Monday.

Like I said before I am not running the electric water pump so I did not get the cooling/ water pump block. Saved me about $300. I also opted for the stage 1.5 clutch, which is rated for 575 ft/lb of torque, that added a $100. they have a stage 2, but it was not recommended for a street car.

A picture of the LS parts that have been showing up!!!

I have picked up a number of parts off Ebay and the web. Picked up the vette WP, LS3 intake and most of the sensors off Ebay. My head studs and complete engine stud kit, fuel rails, balancer, accessory brackets and pulleys. Along with the Lunati Rods, Cam and Valve springs from Jason at Alper Motorsports, he has great prices on these items.

As soon as I get this car in the garage and can get things started, I will really start posting some progress!!!

Last edited by 4LUX; 12-05-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 11-26-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All right, I get to be the first to post and tell you welcome to the club, and what a great looking car. Looking forward to giving you all kinds of help, just ask. looks like it has the aero option, how many miles? Need to check out the wheel bearings and such while you got it apart, I had 2 of mine bad at 67k miles. also I don't think I would recommend the rear solid suspension bushings like I did on mine to lower the rear 1/2, way to ruff.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

that thing is going to move
Old 11-26-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Every time I see a 996 or a Supra mod thread I become more & more envious. Look forward to following the build.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like fun Subscribed!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fierofly
All right, I get to be the first to post and tell you welcome to the club, and what a great looking car. Looking forward to giving you all kinds of help, just ask. looks like it has the aero option, how many miles? Need to check out the wheel bearings and such while you got it apart, I had 2 of mine bad at 67k miles. also I don't think I would recommend the rear solid suspension bushings like I did on mine to lower the rear 1/2, way to ruff.
The car has 85K on it, I was planning on going through things. I have followed your build thread for the past few months and noted that you had replaced worn bearings and such. I found a few maintenance invoices in the car and a few things have been serviced. I was debating having the transmission looked at, beings my friend Jason has a great relationship with a local transmission builder that he uses for all his sand car transmissions. They are basically the same trans as mine.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4LUX
The car has 85K on it, I was planning on going through things. I have followed your build thread for the past few months and noted that you had replaced worn bearings and such. I found a few maintenance invoices in the car and a few things have been serviced. I was debating having the transmission looked at, beings my friend Jason has a great relationship with a local transmission builder that he uses for all his sand car transmissions. They are basically the same trans as mine.
Would really be great to get an overdrive 6th gear somehow. I'm at around 2200rpm at 60mph.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Would really be great to get an overdrive 6th gear somehow. I'm at around 2200rpm at 60mph.
Albins makes a set of 3.00:1 R&P for the C2 996!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Albins makes a set of 3.00:1 R&P for the C2 996!!!
I cruised mine over the weekend and saw about 3100 @ 80 mph, wish i had a custom 6th that put me at 1800!! lol

Found this on another site:

While the idea of a six-speed Porsche transaxle has quite an attractive appeal, these pricey little gems are usually not a good choice for your V-8 project. Porsche developed the majority of these close ratio short-geared boxes so that the limited power band, and extremely high RPM Porsche motors, would stay within their high RPM "sweet spot" while shifting through the gears. In other words, your first gear is way too low and virtually unusable with a V-8, second through fifth; you are spending more time shifting than standing on the gas; and sixth is a very short, under 150 MPH, disappointment. This is not like the GM six speed transmissions that boast 1700 RPM at 70 MPH. Sorry. It's more like 2800 RPM at 70 MPH in sixth... Ouch.

Last edited by txstormtrooper; 12-01-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

So, I was able to get the Porsche in the garage this weekend. And started on working on things.

In the garage and up on jack stands, also got the bumper off!!

All you get from Renegade is some pictures of where to cut the rear for LS clearance. So I did my best and looked at Fierofly's and few of the other builds out there.

Beings I will not be using the electric water pump, a little more cutting was in order. I looked at txstormtrooper and 1dirtyz's for how much they both cut out.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice project but I would flip each of those cinder blocks 90 degrees longitudinally. They are stronger that way
Old 12-01-2014, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
Very nice project but I would flip each of those cinder blocks 90 degrees longitudinally. They are stronger that way
Thanks for the heads up, I happen to be an engineer and know that. The cars load is on the jack stands. The blocks are just there for peace of mind, beings I was under it pulling the belly pan off. One can never be to safe, when out working in the garage by ones self.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gotcha. I'm an engineering student so you got me beat.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Default Great Build

I want one,gonna get one! Good luck!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by txstormtrooper
Found this on another site:

While the idea of a six-speed Porsche transaxle has quite an attractive appeal, these pricey little gems are usually not a good choice for your V-8 project. Porsche developed the majority of these close ratio short-geared boxes so that the limited power band, and extremely high RPM Porsche motors, would stay within their high RPM "sweet spot" while shifting through the gears. In other words, your first gear is way too low and virtually unusable with a V-8, second through fifth; you are spending more time shifting than standing on the gas; and sixth is a very short, under 150 MPH, disappointment. This is not like the GM six speed transmissions that boast 1700 RPM at 70 MPH. Sorry. It's more like 2800 RPM at 70 MPH in sixth... Ouch.
That's discouraging. I didn't know the 996 transmission was so poorly matched to the LSx swap. A Porsche swap has always been in the back of my mind but with those kinds of revs, it sounds like the driveability is less than optimal.

Tipsy
Old 12-01-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

So, I was able to get the Porsche in the garage this weekend. And started on working on things.

In the garage and up on jack stands, also got the bumper off!!

All you get from Renegade is some pictures of where to cut the rear for LS clearance. So I did my best and looked at Fierofly's and few of the other builds out there.

Beings I will not be using the electric water pump, a little more cutting was in order. I looked at txstormtrooper and 1dirtyz's for how much they both cut out.
Your gonna need some more room under there, get some jack point pucks from E-bay and use some 2x10 and some more blocks to get it up higher and also better access. I even had to lower the front to get the engine clearance to slide it in on the motorcycle jack. looks like a good work space also. EDIT: Never mind after looking at my pictures you should be high enough.

Last edited by Fierofly; 12-01-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

How's the wheel bearings? Talk about a pain to change.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
That's discouraging. I didn't know the 996 transmission was so poorly matched to the LSx swap. A Porsche swap has always been in the back of my mind but with those kinds of revs, it sounds like the driveability is less than optimal.

Tipsy
It's kinda like driving an old drag strip car with 411 gears in the back, lots of pull just not made for long trips. I tell people it's no longer a Luxury sports car it's now a HOT ROD.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

How's the wheel bearings? Talk about a pain to change.
I have not looked at them yet, but plan on it.

It's kinda like driving an old drag strip car with 411 gears in the back, lots of pull just not made for long trips. I tell people it's no longer a Luxury sports car it's now a HOT ROD.
That is why I am looking at having the R&P changed from the stock 3.44:1 to 3.0:1. Looking at it now the G96/00 is not the most ideal transaxle, it takes a 80 ton press to service and very few parts are available. The G50 is a better choice, lots of parts are available and no need for the 80 ton press. So any one can work on them.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys aren't as bad off as I am. Manual RX8 has 4.77 gears! I've thought about an auto diff but that's still 4.30. Damn 9k rpm rev limit. I think an 8.8 is the only clear choice. It's gonna be able to do 70 mph burnouts

Quick Reply: 2001 Porsche 996 Cabriolet LS2 Conversion