Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a 2014 L83 5.3 to a Jeep TJ any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you getting 158mph? On the speedo? Are the Speedhut gauges expecting a different pulse than what the sensor/ecm are putting out? Is the sensor bad?
Old 12-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the 158 mph are reading both on my HPTuners scanner and a Snap-on scan tool. The MPH gauge isn't hooked up yet
Old 12-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Launching!

No help from HPTuners yet. I've scanned and checked for where the issue may be, with no luck. Does anyone know where the VSS's are in the 6L80E trans?
Old 12-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Ok - so the power steering is now complete and working well. Next issue that I'm faced with is the trans shifter. I bought this from Speartech:

I'm having an issue mounting it to fit in the stock console. Are there any aftermarket floor mounted shifters available for the 6L80E?

Old 12-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Launching!

No advice on the 6L80e shifter?!

Moving on....

Here is a picture of the SpeedHut Gauges all lit up:

Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 PM
Launching!

And still going 158mph......
Old 12-18-2015, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

instrument cluster looks great...need more overall pics of the jeep and the engine bay show off your work man

I was curious about the speedo issue and just doing a google search it seems like this is a common issue with guys running e38 ecms so maybe this could be a genV ecm issue also? It sounds like it's something to do with something getting lost in translation on the can bus between the tcm and ecm if the bcm is not present. I don't recall but are you running a bcm?
Old 12-19-2015, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 350SS
instrument cluster looks great...need more overall pics of the jeep and the engine bay show off your work man

I was curious about the speedo issue and just doing a google search it seems like this is a common issue with guys running e38 ecms so maybe this could be a genV ecm issue also? It sounds like it's something to do with something getting lost in translation on the can bus between the tcm and ecm if the bcm is not present. I don't recall but are you running a bcm?
I'm not running the BCM, but I think I can just go to a gps style speedo and the issue will be mute. The only problem I see with not fixing the 158 mph issue is that how will that affect the ECM always seeing the 158 mph? More to follow on this I guess. I will get more pictures posted in the near future.....
Old 12-19-2015, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would think it would have to have some affect with the ecm not seeing the correct speed. It sounds like regarding the e38 ecms that there is a work around either with a vss setting in the tune or with running a particular vette tune/os that has a direct vss input into the ecm rather than over the can network. maybe something similar could be the solution for the direct injection ecm? there is a guy on here and maybe the hptuners forum (buddyholly) that seemed pretty knowledgable regarding gen IV swaps and I believe he ran into the same issue not sure if he figured it out though...might be worth hitting him up.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 350SS
I would think it would have to have some affect with the ecm not seeing the correct speed. It sounds like regarding the e38 ecms that there is a work around either with a vss setting in the tune or with running a particular vette tune/os that has a direct vss input into the ecm rather than over the can network. maybe something similar could be the solution for the direct injection ecm? there is a guy on here and maybe the hptuners forum (buddyholly) that seemed pretty knowledgable regarding gen IV swaps and I believe he ran into the same issue not sure if he figured it out though...might be worth hitting him up.
Thanks for the info. I do remember reading somewhere that on the LS3's you needed to take your VSS output from a ECM pin location. More research to go...
Old 12-20-2015, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Just posted a new thread on the 2014 Direct Injection 5.3 ECM pin outs

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-pin-outs.html
Old 12-20-2015, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Talk to John at Tunercat about the speedo issue.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Talk to John at Tunercat about the speedo issue.
Do you by chance have his contact info? Could'nt find it on their website. Thanks
Old 12-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Ok - back to the 158 mph issue. I've been going through the wiring diagrams of a 2014 Silverado 5.3 and I've found that the serial data (High Speed Bus) goes through several different modules. As you can see from the attached picture there are 2 before the BCM and 3 after the BCM, but the interesting part to me is that at the end it shows a "Terminating Resister- High Speed Bus", maybe this is all that is needed to complete the circuit? Any wiring gurus out there?

Old 12-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CAN issues are fun. If you have no terminating resistor, that would be the first place to start. The system is looking for a specific resistance, so that will have to be found and replicated.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
CAN issues are fun. If you have no terminating resistor, that would be the first place to start. The system is looking for a specific resistance, so that will have to be found and replicated.

That's where I'm starting - ordered resistors a few hours ago. Thanks
Old 12-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Update.... I installed a 120 ohm resistor inline and now I have the correct resistance at 60 ohms. This DID NOT fix the 158 mph issue.

On to the BCM and a few other modules that I'm not sure of what they are, for example: the "Telematics Communication Interface Control Module" and the "Human Machine Interface Control Module"???? Anyone have a clue of what these to modules do?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

The Telematics one sounds OnStar related. Human Machine Interface sounds kind of science fiction-y. I really thought the resistor would help this, hopefully its the BCM. I envy your ability to stick with it, I'd have switched to a GPS speedo by now.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brawls43
The Telematics one sounds OnStar related. Human Machine Interface sounds kind of science fiction-y. I really thought the resistor would help this, hopefully its the BCM. I envy your ability to stick with it, I'd have switched to a GPS speedo by now.
I would switch to the GPS speedo but I'm very concerned about how it will affect the trans shifting and the ECM. I'm going to bleed the brakes today and take her out for her first
Old 01-01-2016, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

That makes sense on the trans shifting. Speaking of, did you work out a shifter to use? Hope the drive goes well! Big day!

Quick Reply: Adding a 2014 L83 5.3 to a Jeep TJ any suggestions?