Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spectra Premium EFI fuel tank

Old 04-13-2015, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectra Premium EFI fuel tank

Anyone on here run the Spectra Premium # GM37BFI fuel tank?, I'm looking at purchasing one of these tanks for my BBC 439 carburetor (450HP) for my '67 chevelle, Aeromotive says you run a EFI tank to carburetor without any issue using one of
there Aeromotive Bypass Regulators #13301,

anyone have any specs on the fuel pump? I'm running a 65 Amps alternator, I would wire up this tank with a relay would my 65 Amp alternator produce enough power to power this fuel pump? my car is basic I don't have any electric fans, AC or radio

from the reading I have done, the sending unit readings are faulty due to the sending unit being in the baffle area and with a 1/4 fuel left in the tank the pump with starve?

do these problems still exist or has spectra fixed them with there most recent tank?

this is just a street car, will not see track or autocross,

and is there anything else I would need?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have GM37GFI in a 67 skylark not sure if there is a difference between the B and the G.
Fuel Pump = Spectra part number SP1115, AC Delco alternate part number EP381. You can see the specs on rockauto.com, several alternate numbers and they are slightly different but you should be able get an average.
I would think 65 amp will work until you add electric fans.
I have tank built summer 2012, baffle is basic bread pan with a divider, I don't believe they have changed them since I purchased my. My car is not a "G machine" or race/auto cross car and I can run pump dry with a half a tank. First pump didn't last 500 miles. I will be replacing it with a better tank, just hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. I would think/hope there a better route especially for a carbureted engine.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Spectra tech line at 1-888-910-8888
Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Skylark
I have GM37GFI in a 67 skylark not sure if there is a difference between the B and the G.
Fuel Pump = Spectra part number SP1115, AC Delco alternate part number EP381. You can see the specs on rockauto.com, several alternate numbers and they are slightly different but you should be able get an average.
I would think 65 amp will work until you add electric fans.
I have tank built summer 2012, baffle is basic bread pan with a divider, I don't believe they have changed them since I purchased my. My car is not a "G machine" or race/auto cross car and I can run pump dry with a half a tank. First pump didn't last 500 miles. I will be replacing it with a better tank, just hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. I would think/hope there a better route especially for a carbureted engine.

I emailed spectra today and told them about the issues there were having with starving the pump and faulty fuel gauge readings they said they fixed those issues,

you said you bought your tank in 2012, are you use you didn't receive a 1st design tank, from the reading I've done there are various versions from the improvements, maybe from your box you can figure out what the manufacture date is and figure out if you have the latest one???
Old 04-14-2015, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't get one of the first generation tanks, not sure how many generations they went through. I have not seen any pictures of improvement beyond the tank I have. It is a bread pan with a divider spot welded into it, the pump assy sits in the pan. I don't have any pictures of my tank but if you search around this sight you should find some. I was hoping they would come out with something that works. I really like the stock look, the rest of my car looks stock. I've heard the B body tanks work well but I don't want to trim my frame rails to have a black plastic tank. I rarely drive it very far so keeping the tank above a half a tank isn't a big problem and if you baby it you could get it to 1/4 without cavitation. I suspect cavitation is why my first pump failed, I wish I had gone a different route. The nice part is spectra tanks are cheap and easy to replace down the road if you feel the same as I do. I just added CCP hydro boost/master cylinder setup to my car and love the results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spectra Premium EFI fuel tank