Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with my first time swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with my first time swap

What's up guys. Long time reader, first time poster. Never swapped before so if my list of plans is wrong please help point me in the right direction. All the information I have about LS swaps is what I've read from this forum and many others but never had anything to swap till now. ive also read every c1500 that was swapped I could get my hands on but I'd see different answers to the same questions and got me confused. So I've tried to sift through all notes and threads and I've came up with a build sheet that could be 100% wrong but I'm trying to get it all right so I can begin and that's what made me sign up, sign in, and start posting tonight. So if you see something I say that's wrong or isn't need just tell me. I don't know a lot but I'm willing to try it and im open to all comment and help I can get kuz without you guys pointing me the right direction Id just be a guy with one side of my garage full of a project that got pushed away when it wasn't right. Hopefully I will get help kuz I plan on buying a motor, mounts, and tranny adaptor tomoro so I can have the motor in this weekend and be able to get this finished in around 2 weeks because that's how long Ill be off of work. So here we go

91 c1500 silverado swb 2wd 5.7l tbi 350 with a 5 speed standard. Motor overheated on me and instead of spending 1 grand on my 350 why not spend 2 grand for a LS. Gonna be my first swap but I'm gonna try to do mostly all of it myself if possible since I'm on a tight budget but I don't want to cheap out to bad. I put my list together after seeing hundreds of different combinations

1. 5.3 with harness and fuse panel
2. Motor swap mounts (dirty dingos recommended by a hometown LS guy)
3. GM flex plate spacer and bolts (since I can't afford a 4l60e right now)
4. ECM from 5.3 then have it tuned
5. 02 sensors and bungs, MAF, and PCV valve
6. Fuel pump, lines, fittings all that just not sure on which ones
7. Maybe custom brackets for AC or altenator or whatever else

I found a 700r4 for almost free I mite get since I put a automatic column in the night all this happened. Will I still need the spacer and bolts just instead for the 700r4 instead of my whatever 5 speed I have.

Also how much hassle is it going from cable to electronic throttle? I was told it wasn't that bad but I'll shop around more to find one that's cable if it'll save me from spending extra on something I'm unaware of doing. But if it's not to much for the 'kit' I was told someone makes I will try it.

And last I'm not wanting to have to buy gauges since I'm on a budget I've read people who do harnesses can wire them to keep my stock gauges, could be wrong there too. Or if anyone has a good cheap place to order a harness I mite have to go that route.

I'm sure I left some stuff off or had some stuff wrong that I mite not even need. Hopefully you all can help point me in the right direction so I can get this started. Also if anybody has part # to some of the stuff I mite need that wood be great. Pointers will be good about what to expect or trouble I will run into that's great to. Hopefully I can do all of it but still not sure about my wiring, just not sure if I can do it. Thanks to everybody who chims in and helps get another build started up. Hopefully I'll get enough info to start my own budget build thread with pics to help people like me attempt it, just like all of yall got me wanting to do this. Thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2015, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

If you go over to LS1truck conversion section this swap has been done a thousand times so there is a lot of info to look through.

Quick Reply: Need help with my first time swap